Forums

Model 3 SUV possibility?

Model 3 SUV possibility?

Hello fellow current and future Tesla owners,
I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on the possibility to hold on to your reservation for the potential model 3 SUV ?

Thanks in advance,
Peter, Montreal Canada

kzodz | 10. April 2016

Of course. They could even hold it for the Model Q, to be released in late 2029. They are in no rush to give you your money back...

sebastienmailloux | 10. April 2016

Hi Peter,

I also want the "Y" version (SUV version of the 3) but i put my reservation for an M3 anyway. I have been told that we will need to cancel and make an other reservation for the SUV version once it becomes available.

apeter1972 | 10. April 2016

@sebastienmailloux,

Where did you hear about the M3 cancelation to get in line for the SUV ?

PhillyGal | 10. April 2016

@apeter - Don't worry about what he said.

@sebartienmailloux - Even if someone official told you that, take it with a grain of salt. Tesla may say one thing and decide something else later.

What we know for sure - No smaller SUV (Model Y for argument's sake) will be available in the next two years. That being said, no need to wonder now. We all know that it will come eventually. My guess is that Tesla will announce or show it some time before 2019 but that it won't be available until 2020 at the earliest.

Right now Model 3 already has enough demand to take production into 2020 so it's completely unnecessary to have another vehicle yet.

MarlonBrown | 10. April 2016

I would say if a hatchback is your type, how about the Bolt? We have no idea when Tesla can offer a suv.

apeter1972 | 10. April 2016

Thank you all and @MarlonBrown , Chevy bolt? I don't think so, Tesla al the way!

Red Sage ca us | 11. April 2016

Possibility? Heh. Certainty.

____TOP TEN BEST-SELLING SUV/CROSSOVER
RANK__VEHICLE____________2015______2014
#1____Honda CR-V___________345,647___335,019
#2____Toyota RAV4__________315,412___267,698
#3____Ford Escape___________306,492___306,212
#4____Nissan Rogue__________287,190___199,199
#5____Chevrolet Equinox______277,589___242,242
#6____Ford Explorer__________249,251___209,994
#7____Jeep Cherokee_________220,260___178,508
#8____Jeep Wrangler_________202,702___175,328
#9____Jeep Grand Cherokee___195,958___183,786
#10___Subaru Forester________175,192___159,953

Roamer@AZ USA | 11. April 2016

+1 Red

The only problem is square back cars get terrible drag coefficients. So it may be a taller roof car but will need a sloped back to get the drag down. That's why trucks add those aero flaps on their flat backs to reduce turbulence that creates drag.

Those flaps might look funny on an electric SUV.

carlk | 11. April 2016

It likely will happen and it likely will happen only after Tesla got 300K++ sedan orders out of way.

JeffreyR | 11. April 2016

@Roamer & @Red Sage +1
What TM did for the Model X will be difficult to replicate for the Model Y because the cross-member that holds the joint for the Model X hatch is way too close to the back for the Model Y's length. That's why the Model ≡ is a sedan instead of hatchback. I do not mention this to disagree. I'm w/ you. It's only a matter of time before we get the Model Y mid-size crossover. I'm just curious how they will solve this problem and still have good aerodynamics.
Maybe by then the BP will be so much cheaper that a Model Y will just have a much larger one and give up a little on aerodynamics.

Red Sage ca us | 11. April 2016

Roamer: +1! Thank you. Mercedes-Benz once showed a concept car with extending aero-contours for just that purpose:

carlk: +1! As I often attempt to remind people, the initial delay of Model X was because of the extreme popularity of Model S that caught Tesla Motors off guard.

JeffreyR: I stand by the notion that there will be a Model ☰ configuration that is a Crossover/Wagon. That is, it will be a design that combines the best features of a BMW 3-Series Wagon and the 3-Series Gran Turismo, without looking like a weirdmobile. I am certain that the Model Y will be... something else.

JeffreyR | 13. April 2016

@Red Sage
I saw a BMW X3 in Cupertino the other day. Not a bad looking option. That Gran Turismo looks more like a MX, so I see what you mean.