Forums

Benz sees Google and Apple as main rivals

Benz sees Google and Apple as main rivals

stuff dot co dot nz/motoring/news/78846454/mercedesbenz-now-sees-google-and-apple-as-its-main-rivals

Change the dots to .

TeslaTap.com | 12. April 2016

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/78846454/mercedesbenz-now-sees-goog...

"Google, Apple and Tesla are now a bigger threat to Mercedes-Benz than traditional rivals Audi and BMW, according to Daimler boss Dr Dieter Zetsche."

Maybe they are not a dumb as I thought. Knowing the competition and the market are rather important in this business!

Bighorn | 12. April 2016

Funny that the OP missed that Tesla was included in that group. I had flagged it as a waste of bandwidth unrelated to the Tesla Model 3.

MarlonBrown | 12. April 2016

If Tesla wants to deliver a superior blow to the competition in the luxury car market, ironically they should just continue the good work towards making the interior more luxurious. Other requisites Tesla already mastered! Charge few thousands more, but deliver an interior equal or better than the Benz C300, S, etc. That will do it. If Apple indeed enters the car market, I imagine that is what they would do. It would be very hard for Benz, BMW to compete at that point. Tesla is about to rule the battery market and take away 80% of the relevance of the combustion engine makers. All that engineering that it took decades for Benz, BMW, etc to refine will soon become mainly irrelevant. Amazing times.

jordanrichard | 12. April 2016

For those proposing more goodies inside the MS to make it on par with Mercedes S-Class, that most likely means added weight.

carlk | 12. April 2016

@MarlonBrown

Mercedes would not be worried if Tesla is to make more luxurious interior. Mecedes is only worried if Tesla is to make better cars with better interior. Tesla is already making better cars WITH better interior.

jordanrichard | 12. April 2016

The MS in 2015 outsold their top car the S-Class, in both the U.S. and Germany. That is what got their attention and their shareholders basically saying WTF, what you have in the hopper to compete.

Spacebird | 12. April 2016

'But [Daimler boss Dr Dieter] Zetsche acknowledges history and tradition are stacked against the company that produced the first car in 1886.

"Historically, when these kinds of new S-curves developed in certain markets, most of the companies that are prior players are not the dominant new players any more," he said. '

MarlonBrown | 12. April 2016

Hey Jordan and CarlK:

Sorry but the interior quality in the Model S is not comparable yet to Benz, BMW and Lexus of the world. I have been checking this and even in the Tesla store I pointed some details to the manager and he acknowledged and admitted that something it needs to be improved. Ironically one would think that getting the interior right would be the easiest part, and I still believe it is. I suppose that the Model X already has been getting better. I know the Model S has been outselling the Benz and BMW equivalent models and that is probably because in the overall the Model S is a superior car. However I am not the first one pointing out this issue.

Red Sage ca us | 12. April 2016

MarlonBrown: Window dressing is window dressing, nonetheless. What you call 'quality' I call 'boring'. Mercedes-Benz has in recent years taken to blatantly ripping off interior design schemes from Bentley. Yes. Right down to the diamond pattern quilted stitching.

Google -- mercedes-benz interior red & bentley interior red

deeageux | 13. April 2016

Making a luxury interior and in particular an optional luxury interior comparable to Mercedes or Audi won't drive customers away and will certainly add customers.

Why settle for 25% US market share when you can capture 50%?

Tesla already made two big upgrades to the front seats with Next Gen and now Model X seat.

Alcantara trim.

Ash trim is really nice IMO.

They added storage on the doors and standard consoles Defenders of the True Faith insisted was not needed or was actually a negative.

Tesla needs to keep on doing what they are doing.

Adding kWh to the pack and refinements to the interior.

jordanrichard | 13. April 2016

MarlonBrown, the MS was not meant to compete with those brands. It is the media that compares the MS to those brands because one, the price point and two because what else are they going to compare it to. Also, if we are going to point glaring deficiencies in a given interior based on price point, why is there no navigation system in the $1.5 million Veyron?

The numbers speak for them selves. Obviously the lack of a Mercedes S-Class type interior hasn't stopped the MS from outselling the S-Class and by a far wider margin the 7-Series, A8 and Lexus flagship car.

Ross1 | 13. April 2016

"And Tesla is still tiny and insignificant."quote

Red Sage ca us | 13. April 2016

deeageux: Originally, people complained about the materials Tesla Motors used in their cars. But mostly it seems, they complain about the styling. Tesla Motors is NOT going to change their design aesthetic to match those of vehicles that have been mimicking Victorian Era stagecoach and carriage concepts of horsedrawn 'luxury' for the past 100+ years. Luckily, no horse, anywhere, will ever have to pull la Tesla Motors product. You have the ~*option*~ of paying any of dozens of aftermarket automobile customizing firms to give you a fuzzy dice and diamonds quilted leopard and lace interior with grab handles, seat pockets, coat hooks, curtains, and chandelier. So, Tesla Motors doesn't have to offer it.

Tropopause | 13. April 2016

Now that Model 3 is here to alleviate some of the diversity, Tesla did well to update Model S, increase the interior amenities and raise the price. I say it's time to unleash Model S to its fullest and be everything to all flagship buyers.

The media has been calling MS a large luxury car for years now. Time to make it so!

carlk | 13. April 2016

Materials Tesla used in my S are markedly similar to those in my Porsche. I noticed the first day when I got my S. From those stitched plastic panals and leather to aluminum handles and door trims to carbon fiber and alcantara they could have came from the same company yet no one accused Porsche of having cheap interior. Maybe forty years ago but certainly not now. And or couse those cheap window controls and steering wheel on Tesla cars came either from Mecedes or Mercede's supplier. Yes there were people complainning they are cheap too.

What happened is those differences we see are only from the different design philosophies. Many people who are used to the old styles think thick padding on the seat, a lot of buttons and cup holders mean luxury. On the other hand Tesla goes the mordern minimalist less is more direction. Once in a while Tesla does give in and go with the crowd, like the center console and more cup holders in new cars but the result is not necessarily good if you ask everyone. In the future I think, and I hope too, the design trend of other companies will go the Tesla way instead of the other way around. I can already see bigger and more promininent control screens popping up in some newer model cars along with simpler hardware controls.

I don't really think a Tesla needs to look like a Mercedes but it maybe benefitial for Mercede to have the more futurist design before people got tired of the old staid styling.

carlk | 13. April 2016

I thought we were talking about S and X but I just realized this is the 3 forum. The 3 is only going to compete with C class and BMW 3 series. Have you been sitting inside one of those cars lately? Geeze, go take look at the 3 prototype interior and come back again.

Red Sage ca us | 13. April 2016

carlk: +1! Tesla Motors automobiles are built to aerospace specifications, not horse & buggy approximation.

https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/built-jet?page=1