Forums

Model 3 without a garage

Model 3 without a garage

What is everyone's opinion on getting a Model 3 without having a garage of your own? I currently live in LA and am wondering if this should be feasable. Thanks!

lafgoddess | 10. Juli 2016

I was wondering that too.

JPPTM | 10. Juli 2016

Can you charge at work? At a local charger (Level 2)? Where is the nearest Supercharger?

lilbean | 10. Juli 2016

Part of the joy of owning a Tesla is the ability to charge at home while sleeping and waking up to a charged car. If you are able to charge at home without a garage, I would get a Tesla. Without the capability of charging at home, it may not be practical.

EaglesPDX | 10. Juli 2016

I have no garage. Parking is not even near the house. But I do own the parking area next to the street where I will be parking.

I'm going with one of the Plugless systems so there is nothing exposed, just a lump secured to the pavement. No glowing cable, nothing exposed.

Badbot | 10. Juli 2016

if you own the home install a outlet 14-50 where it can reach your car when parked

PhillyGal | 11. Juli 2016

I'd still get one for sure as long as you can either install a charge cable at work or live/play near L2 chargers.

Do you have a drive way or dedicated parking that you can add an outdoor outlet? If so, no brainer. I have a friend here in Philly with an outdoor parking space, been a MS owner for a few years now. Also in Philly if you have no driveway or garage at all you can apply for a designated street spot right in front of your door as long as you pay the cost to install an outside outlet/charger. Of course, I've already seen it abused (C-Max, not even plugged in, crappy 110V outlet installed... in a neighborhood where parking is scarce.)

jordanrichard | 11. Juli 2016

EasglePDX, that Plugless system still has exposed wiring. How do you think the charging pad which you park over, get's its power? There is a wall unit that gets hardwired into a power source and there is a single straight line to the charging pad. If my memory serves me well, that system is not rated for outdoor use.

JeffreyR | 11. Juli 2016

Big topic at TMC Connect last year. I made sure to have my real estate agent check w/ the HOA before I bought my new loft near Downtown San José to see what their plans were. Adding charging infrastructure was already a plan (and one of my neighbors uses the 110-outlet for his Ford PHEV), so I felt comfortable getting my loft. Remember many places have laws to make it easy/possible/required to install charging for your EV. For example, I believe in California an HOA cannot stop you from having EV charging installed at your own expense.

You should also read about the MS owner from Brooklyn who does not have a parking spot, but still loves his Tesla:

Owning a Tesla in Brooklyn

"I’ve owned a Tesla in Brooklyn for about 10 months now. This is what I’ve learned so far. A Tesla in Brooklyn isn’t that hard.
I park my car on the street and have no regular place to plug in the car...."

https://www.teslamotors.com/customer-stories/owning-tesla-brooklyn

EaglesPDX | 11. Juli 2016

@ jordanrichard "...that Plugless system still has exposed wiring. How do you think the charging pad which you park over, get's its power? There is a wall unit that gets hardwired into a power source and there is a single straight line to the charging pad. If my memory serves me well, that system is not rated for outdoor use."

Not really, you'd need some serious tools and time to get the buried cable to the charger and from the charger to the power transmitter. You can't have hot wires on the ground without solid code protection. It'll be just fine.

Nic727 | 29. Oktober 2016

Hi,

Without a garage, is there a risk when charging your car outside?

For example, when it rain or snow?

Also, can you install a wall connector outside?

Hi,

Without a garage, is there a risk when charging your car outside?

For example, when it rain or snow?

Also, can you install a wall connector outside?

EaglesPDX | 29. Oktober 2016

@Nic727 "Without a garage, is there a risk when charging your car outside?"

All the Tesla Superchargers are exposed so there's not a risk of rain and snow. A driveway next to the house with no garage would be fine.

Ok thank you. So wall connection outside is resistant to water. Good to know.

KP in NPT | 29. Oktober 2016

@Nic, I have an outside NEMA 14-50 plug at my non-garaged parking space. And yes, SC's are outside, exposed to elements. We chose to put ours in a box but it isn't necessary. For us it was more because we had to install it on the side of our shed, elevated to stay above where the snow pile ends up in the winter. Charging in foul weather is not an issue.