Forums

Drift Mode for Snowy condition

Drift Mode for Snowy condition

Hi,
I really need this car to be a fun drive in the snow when desired !!! Most of the time, I will want the traction control to ensure proper adherence but sometimes yet often, I will consider the pleasure of "sending additionnal power" to the rear and removing the "traction control". This is something rarely available in most new car (Audi, Subaru...) I am wondering what Tesla will come up with for Model 3 AWD version ? Also if people can comments on Model S actual behaviour ? If you drift in the snow, will the car actually brake on the outer wheels and limit power to prevent oversteer ?

Thanks

martin_bourgault | 24. August 2016

Christan Roy from Quebec says that a Model S RWD is not as fun as a Subaru. I want to make sure the AWD version is not too much intelligent. The latest Golf R can fully remove the "Traction Control". And I have already seen some Subaru (STI maybe) that can get the front to rear power ratio control by a "Dimmer" switch. Seems pretty exciting to me.

Red Sage ca us | 24. August 2016

Safety trumps Fun at Tesla Motors.

Linemanap | 30. August 2016

If you can't get a AWD vehicle in to a full 360 spin on the highway your doing it wrong

andy.connor.e | 31. August 2016

That will only cause problems and lawsuits as Autopilot is currently. Too many people will abuse it and are irresponsible to have such features. Sorry, but 1 idiot always ruins it for everyone. Best not to cause it in the first place.

The flying hippie | 31. August 2016

For what its worth, the RWD Model S does great donuts with TC turned off.

Dithermaster | 31. August 2016

Mine doesn't, the Stability Control kicks in. What's the trick?

The flying hippie | 01. September 2016

Just turn traction control off. I didn't try on pavement, just on a frozen lake.

nadurse | 01. September 2016

drift mode is unnecessary. As long as you can turn traction control off you should be just fine.

Does the Model S have ON/OFF option for traction control?

Briangloverdo | 30. Oktober 2016

Ditto this wish.
Hope to see more permissive sport mode to allow a bit more oversteer

Red Sage ca us | 30. Oktober 2016

"Tesla, please provide a 'Let Me Come REAL CLOSE to Killing Myself' mode -- because that's what I consider FUN!"

Seriously?

Frank99 | 30. Oktober 2016

Red Sage
Yes. Just yes.

I've ridden about 250,000 miles in a motorcycle on the street. For many people, that's coming "real close to killing myself".

I have friends that jump out of perfectly good airplanes. For many people, that's coming "real close to killing (themselves)".

I spent 10 years hang gliding every weekend. For many people, that's coming "real close to killing myself".

I have friends that are more than 100 pounds overweight. For many people, that's coming "real close to killing (themselves)".

Going to space is extraordinarily dangerous; I don't count among my friends anyone who's done that, but to many people that's coming "real close to killing themselves".

It isn't your place to tell me where the line between "too dangerous" and "not too dangerous" is for me; that's an ultimately human decision that each of us has to make. If I happened to be a reasonably cautious human being living in Wisconsin, there might be many safe opportunities to disable traction control and enjoy some excitement in a long stretch of winter. So give up your self-appointed position as nanny for the rest of society, and let me make those decisions myself.

/frank

akgolf | 30. Oktober 2016

@Frank - Then buy the Dolt, it doesn't come with any standard safety features. :)

Red Sage ca us | 30. Oktober 2016

Frank99: One of my childhood heroes is EVEL KNIEVEL. Robbie Knievel is just a few years older than I am. Trust that I understand. But my full grown adult intellectual hero is Elon Musk. I want his dreams to come true, because they so closely mimic my childhood dreams of what 'The FUTURE!' would be like. The danger to the individuals that would perform the [BUM]-hangin'-out maneuvers (as a professional driver on a closed course, of course) is not my concern at all. I'm not the guy to make grownups wear gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, or helmets if they don't want to.

The danger that concerns me is the public shaming that would happen to TESLA MOTORS when the local Channel 7 I'mWitlessNews Crew decides to do a Special Report on TESLA DOOM MACHINES featuring footage of maimings, cripplings, and incendiary deaths of locals 'who know what they're doing' being suddenly, and unpredictably bit in the [BOOTIE] by their own hubris -- but blaming it on the CAR -- while street racing. "Oh, if only these EViL electric cars were reigned in properly instead of being DEATH MOBILES!!! They are inherently UNSAFE! There oughtta be a LAW!"

Apparently, Tesla agrees with my position, and has for some time:

Tesla Motors -- Annual Report
ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012
Item 1A -- Risk Factors
If our vehicle owners customize our vehicles or change the charging infrastructure with aftermarket products, the vehicle may not operate properly, which could harm our business.
Automobile enthusiasts may seek to "hack" our vehicles to modify its performance which could compromise vehicle safety systems. Also, we are aware of customers who have customized their vehicles with after-market parts that may compromise driver safety. For example, some customers have installed seats that elevate the driver such that airbag and other safety systems could be compromised. Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.

http://ir.tesla.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-13-96241&cik=#D452995...