Forums

Summoning and returning the car self-driving

Summoning and returning the car self-driving

Will we be able to call and return Tesla model 3 from and to our home without driver with the autopilot?
Exemple, going to work and send it back to my garage for parking.

leskchan | 19. Oktober 2016

It should be per Level 5 but unlikely due to regulation.

PhillyGal | 19. Oktober 2016

Yes!

But it will require:
Additional hardware ($) and the activation thereof ($)
and
Regulatory approval (who knows if/when that will happen.)

Calibrotha2000 | 19. Oktober 2016

Yeah I'm sure there are all kinds of next level things they hope for but as was said the government and state agencies aren't gonna be approving this anytime soon UNLESS more companies and manufacturers get in on forcing legislature so we shall see

malavolti | 20. Oktober 2016

Yes, that's exactly the point.
Hardware will be on all Tesla cars produced from yesterday.
Software will come at an extra cost - currently for model S and X 5000$ or 8000$ according to the versions.

EaglesPDX | 20. Oktober 2016

@malavolti "Software will come at an extra cost "

The software, like the hardware, will be built in, activating the software is what will cost extra.

KP in NPT | 20. Oktober 2016

Elon just tweeted that the car will find you once you summon it. Even if you are across the country.

WOW.

@mp1156 "Elon just tweeted that the car will find you once you summon it. Even if you are across the country."

Unless you are in or have to traverse CA where car's must have drivers in them. That will likely be the standard for next five years as legislation looks at the technology. Have you heard the joke about four autonomous Teslas that arrive at a four way stop at the same time. They are still there. Maybe Tesla will sell a "Me First" software option for that.

Would have preferred Tesla kept to the mission statement to promote EV's. Tesla seems to be morphing into selling autonomous cars vs. promoting EV's

Cheaper EV without Autopilot and just the basics of dynamic cruise, self braking, blind side and cross track warning would been the way to go with no Autopilot or Autonomous on the T3 to keep cost down and volume up.

akgolf | 20. Oktober 2016

The car is still 35K without options and you won't go to the back of the line if you order a base Model 3.

If you live in the mid west you have a better chance of getting a Model 3 before the Dolt and it will be a cheaper and better car than the Dolt.

In ten years if you want to activate any of the self driving options you can do that for a cost with the Model 3. If you bolt that Dolt, then time to buy another one.

KP in NPT | 20. Oktober 2016

@eagles, I was stating what the car is capable of. The regulatory hurdles are a different issue. But even with them, I don't think EM expects the hurdles to drag out. All cars manufactured from here on out will be learning in shadow mode. By the time the Model 3 is released, that will be a lot of data. I drove my AP equipped Model S pre-AP, and waited for them to turn it on. I will be happy to do the same with my Model 3 for full autonomy.

Go ahead and keep saying Tesla is making a mistake with promoting full autonomy along with promoting EVs. You're the only one who believes it. I think Elon is capable of promoting more than one thing at a time. His Secret Master Plan part 2 (regardless if you agree with it or not) sees autonomy as part of the overall transportation solution - with EVs obviously being one part of that, to reduce emissions. You're just bent because this is leaving your beloved GM in the dust.

akgolf | 20. Oktober 2016

Not to mention the over the air updates to give all Tesla's new features.

I wonder how much Chevy will charge to bring your Dolt in to update it, if that will even be a feature!

jordanrichard | 20. Oktober 2016

Actually what Elon and Tesla are doing with AP is promoting EVs, indirectly. What I mean by that is the general public are like moths and Tesla just made the light brighter. People already associate automation with electronics and this massive attention getter will draw people in to show them what is possible with an EV. The fully automation Elon is talking about but more specific the demonstration of going cross country on its own, can not be done with an ICE car.

dd.micsol | 20. Oktober 2016

This scares the bejeezus out of me. Someone uses my car to go to Florida 2300 miles away-I click summon and I have to wait 3 days for the car to make it back? Who charges it on the way back with no one in it?! I won't be doing this-ever. Unless all the SC become snake robotic and it can come back to me with no one in it-then I might think about it. What better way to steal a car. Borrow it-find the owner-mug him for the fob or kill him-and drive away. Yikes.

Linemanap | 20. Oktober 2016

I don't remember anything in the mission statement about EVs simply to accelerate sustainable transportation and if you can eliminate the need for everyone to own a car think of what that means for the planet. No more 40 acre parking lots

Does this happen to taxi drives alot ? No what is the up side for the thief other then a short joy ride the car has no value to a thief and the cops will know the location of the car

dd.micsol | 20. Oktober 2016

I don't believe you for a second Line-I'm sure they can hack the gps signal or jam it. I know fbi already uses one when they raid drug houses.

If they are smart enough to do any of that then they will most like hit a soft target like a bank or the US government. The only thing you have ro fear is fear itself.... And that crackhead who doesn't know what he is trying to steal

@jsimpsonalaska "The car is still 35K without options and you won't go to the back of the line if you order a base Model 3."

Tesla stated that one of the key parameters for early delivery is level of options ordered. All the options, front of the line. No options, back of the line.

Frank99 | 20. Oktober 2016

E sed:
"Tesla stated that one of the key parameters for early delivery is level of options ordered."

Citation needed.

I believe that was true for previous vehicles, but I don't remember seeing Tesla make that statement about the 3.

@mp1156 "Go ahead and keep saying Tesla is making a mistake with promoting full autonomy along with promoting EVs. You're the only one who believes it."

Tesla believes it per Tesla's mission statement: "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

Autonomous tech does nothing to promote the transition to sustainable energy. By making the EV more complex, more expensive it retards the transition to sustainable energy. The $5,000 AutoPilot, built in to every car, vs a top rated dynamic cruise, autobraking, blind side/cross track warning system for $1,000.

Tesla is losing focus.

Linemanap | 21. Oktober 2016

It has the potential owning a car out right is not necessary just order one up when you need it. Less cars on the road is a lot more sustainable then bumper to bumper for hours on end wasting resources. If you can't see the path Tesla is on you are blind

andy.connor.e | 21. Oktober 2016

If every car is fully autonomous, then there is no such thing as traffic. Every person in the world could own a car, and the traffic control is run by a massive computer calculating the most efficient travel pathways. Literally will open up a gap between cars that is wide enough to let another car pass through going 55mph. Something that we humans would be incapable of achieving. Traffic lights are the most inefficient form of traffic control. If all cars are autonomous, intersections would run seamlessly because cars would leave enough space between them that all directions of traffic can pass through eachother.

Sorry that the future has to change our way of thinking. I bet you get used to routine.

tstolz | 21. Oktober 2016

@eagles - cars with level 5 autonomy will be very much in demand. I can't imagine why anyone would buy a car without this capability ... if you don't want the software .. don't activate it. When it comes time to sell I bet the ability to activate it will be worth something!!

charles_gingras | 21. Oktober 2016

dd.micsol I'm pretty sur you'll be able to set specific conditions on the car sharing use (such as maximum distance from a specific point OR a time when you want the car back at a specific point)

carlk | 21. Oktober 2016

@EaglesPDX
"Autonomous tech does nothing to promote the transition to sustainable energy"

How it does not? Not only this will result in more EV ownership it will also mean more shared clean cars, and clean smart buses, on the road too.

jordanrichard | 21. Oktober 2016

andy.connor.e, no, every car being autonomous will not solve the traffic congestion. Congestion is not from the lack of an efficient route, it is a pure and simple physics issue. An increase of the number of cars entering a given route, in a given period of time. Think back to high school. You are walking down the hall while class is in session, but then the bell rings, and the hallway becomes crowded and you slow down.

the only thing that would solve it, and this will never happen, is a reservation system where by only certain groups of people are allowed on the road before the next batch can use the road.

kaffine | 21. Oktober 2016

jordanrichard:

Your example still involves humans and how they interact with each other in crowds normal rules of physics don't apply. Do the same with fluid and it speeds up well at subsonic speeds anyways. Having cars that are computer controlled will drastically reduce traffic congestion. No more people speeding up trying to prevent another from merging in and then having to slam on the brakes. Closer following distance as the computers will have faster reaction times. Oh and fewer accidents causing problems.

What might cause problems is the drastic increase in traffic that autonomous cars will create. Since they will go and drop someone off at work then go back home pick the kids up to take them to school and go back home and pick someone up to run errands.

dsvick | 21. Oktober 2016

@jordanrichard - You may be right to a certain extent but, in my mind, the vast majority of traffic problems are caused by idiot humans doing stupid things. Like the guy the flies down the fast lane at 60 then decides he has to get off at the next exit and cuts into traffic that was moving at 30 - causing everyone near him to slam on their brakes and in a chain-reaction going back down the highway for a mile.
Or the moron that is doing 40 in the 70 zone.
Or, my personal favorite, the guy who is zigging in and out of traffic, cutting people off, and scaring the crap out of people all so he can end up exactly one car length ahead at the next exit.

Get rid of all of those asshats and half the problems will be solved.

vinfocom | 21. Oktober 2016

so, Tesla will find you cross country when you summon it, however, since it does not have enough juice to drive more than ~200 miles, so will it find a supercharger and charge itself..for that i guess Tesla will be installing wireless charging stations :)

"so will it find a supercharger and charge itself"
Yes.

"..for that i guess Tesla will be installing wireless charging stations"
No. They're currently working on the automated snake chargers.

akgolf | 21. Oktober 2016

Sorry Eagles. The car is still 35K without options and you won't go to the back of the line if you order a base Model 3.

Show me a link where Elon or Tesla has said anything about higher equipped Model 3s going out first. You can't because it's just another of the many lies you like to try and spread on this forum.

I don't know why you're trying to drum up Dolt sales from this forum, you won't have that many to get rid of.

jordanrichard | 21. Oktober 2016

Yes, I agree erratic driving behavior only adds to it, but that is the not the route cause. Much of it is the poorly designed highways we have here in the U.S. which car automation is not going to fix. Also again, when you have an increase in the number of cars trying to travel on the same route at the same time, there is going to be congestion.

kaffine, use my simple example of a classroom full of people trying to leave at the same time. Why is there a back up at the door? Yes, that can be controlled by the teacher making each person wait their turn so that there is no crowding at the door, but therein is the rub. The teacher is dictating when the next person can get up and leave. So bring this back to computer controlled cars, who is to dictate when you in your self driving car can pull out of your driveway to go to work?

@jsimpson - "Show me a link where Elon or Tesla has said anything about higher equipped Model 3s going out first. You can't because it's just another of the many lies you like to try and spread on this forum."

Actually, he did say that, I've seen the tweet, I think it was back in March or very early April. Afterwards though he did retract it and say they couldn't do it that way because of the number of reservations. So the only prioritizing based on options should be for production efficiencies and grouping them together based on selected options.

Thanks dsvick.

Im afraid that still won't stop Eagles from continuing his campaign of misinformation.

dd.micsol | 21. Oktober 2016

Elon just tweeted me. Some base model 3 will be deployed with first batch of cars. Anyone who bought pre unveil will get their cars first.

That would include me.

topher | 21. Oktober 2016

"This scares the bejeezus out of me. Someone uses my car to go to Florida 2300 miles away-I click summon and I have to wait 3 days for the car to make it back?"

Why do you keep making these outrageous scenarios? Tesla isn't stupid, if you need the car soon, it won't accept a commission that will take it far away. Or do you think that somehow you are the first to think of these things?

Thank you kindly.

EaglesPDX | 21. Oktober 2016

@tstolz "cars with level 5 autonomy will be very much in demand."

As will $130,000 super deluxe EV's but that doesn't accomplish Tesla's mission ("Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy") and by making EV's more expensive and complex Tesla moves away from its mission.

It will be up to others to move the world to sustainable energy in autos while Tesla goes down the rabbit hole of promoting autonomous driving, Musk's announced new mission.

Sounds like Chevy fan boy is going into panic mode.

@jsimpsonalaska "Sounds like Chevy fan boy is going into panic mode."

Anyone who shared Tesla original mission "...to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy" should be panicking seeing Tesla move away from that very necessary goal to a very unnecessary goal of promoting autonomous driving cars which has noting to do with Tesla's original reason for being.

I'm not panicking and still believe that Tesla is moving in the right direction. Looking forward to my Model 3, or Model S if I decide the Model 3 isn't the right car for me.

I sure trust them more than GM or their fan boys. But keep spouting your lies if it makes you feel better.

bernard.holbrook | 21. Oktober 2016

Both EV's and autonomous cars promote sustainable transportation.

While I an cynical about regulations, I am hoping that disabilities groups (blind, ect) fight hard to get LV5 regulations passed for their clients. This will help us all.

@bernard.holbrook "Both EV's and autonomous cars promote sustainable transportation."

No they don't. A green house gas spewing autonomous car does not promote sustainable (non greenhouse gas producing) transportation.

Sustainable transportation means not using fossil fuels, not generating greenhouse gases.

Linemanap | 21. Oktober 2016

Eagles stop being dumb. Solar city powerwall and a car that can eliminate the need for hundreds of thousands of cars. I leave for work at 7am my wife leaves at 8am right now we need two cars to make this work if we had a fully autonomous tesla we could eliminate my vehicle completely. Transportation is more then fuel. cars use materials these are resources that we can't afford to be wasting. This all plays into sustainability and efficiency. Ride sharing fleets eliminate waste on so many levels and have the added benefit of promoting human interaction and cooperation which may do more to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation then all the technology in the world.

SamO | 21. Oktober 2016

+1 Linemanap,

Serious stupid GM fanboys do them no favors.

danielebernd | 22. Oktober 2016

Elon Musks wants to do 2 revolutions in one, and I doubt if people all over the world are ready for it yet. Most of them can only just follow the first revolution, affordable electric cars with PV -energy made with their own roofs. Same here! 8000 Dollar is too much for me, I will not activate it. Well, maybe I will do it later. More interesting for me is to know something about options on battery range of the model 3 with costs. Does anybody know something here? Cars like the Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, Bolt and soon perhaps also the BMW i3 can already or in the near future run 400 km with similar costs. And they are energy-efficient, that means consumption is low that means even with 43 kW loading they get 80% in 30 minutes...... the model 3 for example will have running this autonomous computer engine in "shadow mode" with at least 300 W additional consumption all the time the car is driving.....

So Elon Musks must not leave this first part of the revolution out of focus......

Anyway I prepare on it and try to install a cable from my house to my carport this afternoon....

EaglesPDX | 22. Oktober 2016

@Linemanap " I leave for work at 7am my wife leaves at 8am right now we need two cars to make this work if we had a fully autonomous tesla we could eliminate my vehicle completely. "

You could if she drives you to work and then she drives to work using one car. Your scenario is a far far away Autonomous car future when all cars are autonomous and transportation system rebuilt to accommodate autonomous cars (see movie "Minority Report" for a preview).

None of which works to Tesla's mission (previous mission?) "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.".

By making Tesla EV's more expensive by adding the costs of Autonomous ($8,500 AP/AT required combo) Tesla is putting off adoption of EV's and working directly against it's mission.

As Musk has noted, using the $100K plus luxury liner cars to test and deploy new tech is fine but by making Autonomous cars the mission vs. EV's and sustainable energy and forcing it into the T3 model, Tesla is no longer true to its mission statement.

EaglesPDX | 22. Oktober 2016

@danielebernd "Elon Musks wants to do 2 revolutions in one, and I doubt if people all over the world are ready for it yet."

One is necessary to survival "to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.", the other is not.

One, transportation system running on sustainable energy, is necessary by 2050 the other is not.

Conflating the two, adding $8,500 cost to EV's that are already $10,000 more than regular cars just about kills the very necessary goal of sustainable future.

I would go so far as to pull the $7,500 sustainable energy tax credit for any EV that includes the costly autonomous driving system

akgolf | 22. Oktober 2016

Except that extra cost doesn't increase the cost to the buyer unless they enable it.

How dense can you be?

danielebernd | 22. Oktober 2016

@EaglesPDX: I don't understand why you are so angry. You don't have to buy that car. Or without AP option.

But my next car is electric that is for sure. And model3 is still the best Choice. Leaf: Ugly. Zoe: too small. Bolt and Leaf: Ugly und too small. Model3 with option on biggest range instead of AP.

And since today afternoon there is a 20 m 400 V cable running from my house to my carport. Only my wife complains: Completely stupid to reserve a car you never even sat in!!

Calibrotha2000 | 22. Oktober 2016

I think I figured it out!!!

Our resident FALSE information provider is actually a TINDERBOT because I've notice all replies are quotes and answers but rarely any realistic human dialogue or explination for the constant trolling-lmao!!!!

It's like the people that hate a sports team and troll the team but when you ask who their team is they never tell you.

I truly be leave Eagle is a Bot program designed by tesla because I swear the "BOT" is on EVERY THREAD saying literally the exact same thing

Thread about the tires = BOT COMMENTS ABOUT PRICE AND FEATURES
Thread about paint colors = BOT COMMENTS ABOUT PRICE AND FEATURES
Thread about strawberries on a waffle = BOT COMMENTS ABOUT PRICE AND FEATURES

I'm sure if everyone stops replying to BOT foolishness then the insanity will stop. I know it's frustrating to see someone call a circle a square but if everyone's just stops acknowledging the BOT it'll make life in the forum way more enjoyable

Pages