Forums

Could be a game changer

Could be a game changer

I recently saw a website offering wireless charging setups which could allow tesla cars to drive on there own to get electrons while the owner is doing what they want work or what not. I think this could be the solution for cross country summoning of your car. Think about it you are going on a trip and you send your car to your destination ahead of time and catch another ride to the airport and pick up your car when you get there.

Czech | 02. Dezember 2016

Plugless dot com
Is the website

topher | 02. Dezember 2016

"you send your car to your destination ahead of time and catch another ride to the airport and pick up your car when you get there."

Please, No.

Thank you kindly.

dsvick | 02. Dezember 2016

Umm, why wouldn't you just ride in your car since it's already going there? Why spend the money on a plane ride? Why take an environmentally less friendly way to get there when the one that is more friendly is already going there?

dave.m.mcdonough | 03. Dezember 2016

So it charges via wireless mat instead of cord. Either way you are stuck at the charger during the charging process.. I'm not sure what the rest of your post is carrying on about?

Red Sage ca us | 03. Dezember 2016

Unfortunately, no matter the apparently 'magic' refueling of an EV via induction pads/fields may seem to perform, it still doesn't change the fact that it is slower and less efficient than just plugging in. Even if you presume that charging by cable is only about 85% efficient, it still beats the best that can be managed with an induction field that is in close proximity.

Czech | 05. Dezember 2016

The idea is when AP is ready the car could go off and charge by itself instead of being with the car to plug it in. Pretty much anywhere outside of California charging stations are not common enough to park at your destination and charge.

JeffreyR | 05. Dezember 2016

or this snake charger:
https://youtu.be/uMM0lRfX6YI

Or a jobs program w/ a "valet"

SamO | 05. Dezember 2016

@JR,

+1

Proctobot will show up at a Supercharger "soon" ish.

Rocky_H | 05. Dezember 2016

@Czech, Quote: "Pretty much anywhere outside of California charging stations are not common enough to park at your destination and charge."

But also pretty much anywhere outside of California, state laws will not allow unattended cars to drive on public roads for at least 10 years.

andy.connor.e | 06. Dezember 2016

You would have to send your car to your location 2 days in advance (depending on how far you travel), but if you send your car to the location with the expectation its going to get there when you get there, then you literally, might as well just take the car ride. If you get the full autonomy you can just sleep the car ride. M3 will charge itself at supercharger stations.

Haggy | 06. Dezember 2016

Induction charging is less efficient. This solution is nothing new. I have nothing against it if people want it, but plugging in a cable takes seconds. Tesla has already developed a robotic charging arm, so it's a matter of time. If the demand is there, they will build it. The charging flap even closes itself when done.