Forums

Front end of Model 3: Is it just me or is it just blaaaa?

Front end of Model 3: Is it just me or is it just blaaaa?

I placed my reservation for a Model 3 a few days after the unveiling but I have to admit that though the shape, sides and rear end all look fantastic, the front end looks, well, blaaaaa. The Model S and X front ends both have wonderful character to them, but the blank nose of the Model 3 just says, "We couldn't think of what to do with the front end, so we just left it blank".

I can't wait to get and drive my new Model 3, but I want to feel great about this car when I get in it every day and when I talk to others about it. I want to be able to say, "This is the perfect car!" to everyone I meet and not, "This is perfect car, except for the blank front end."

Is it too late for them to make a change? I hope not.

Is it just me or do others think that something could be done with the front end to make this car look great on all four sides?

Shadowmist | 23. April 2017

I'm not 100% sure, but i'm about 99.7% sure that the final design except very small tweaks is what we currently are seeing being test drove around. It doesn't look bad to me, I'd without a doubt prefer the Model S front end but that's an 80k car compared to a 35k one.

Red Sage ca us | 24. April 2017

It is just as 'blank' as most Porsche, Lotus, Lamborghini, and Ferrari front ends I have witnessed since 1972 or so.

SamO | 24. April 2017

It's you.

sbeggs | 24. April 2017

I am liking the aft end better than what I've seen of the front so far. But my mind is open.

KP in NPT | 24. April 2017

The front end looks better now to me than it did at the reveal. I think they softened it. But even at the reveal I liked it from certain angles. To me it seems they "fixed" it so I find it appealing at all angles. But I am reserving final judgment until I see it in person.

dsvick | 24. April 2017

No, it isn't just you. On the other hand there are just as many of us that do like it as there are that don't. And, yes, unless they've already done it and are keeping it a secret, it's too late to change it.

topher | 24. April 2017

They did change it from what I can tell. And it is too late to change anything (and has been for 10 months). But if you need 'excitement' in your car front end, I am sure there will be three party amendments to satisfy every taste.

Thank you kindly.

mos6507 | 24. April 2017

I'm more concerned with the interior at this point.

roadkill | 24. April 2017

I hate it to. Would like to see the mustache

andy.connor.e | 24. April 2017

I think 99.97% of all airborn particles will be filtered out of the cabin.

jschnyderite | 24. April 2017

i like the front. from a design standpoint, i think the hood could more gracefully transition to the windshield, and the back looks a little frumpy from the side view. i know they wanted to accomodate more head room in the back, but that is the price you pay.

g_g.tatham | 24. April 2017

The Model 3 ad picture has been called a duck billed front. I looked at this as the slip stream future. Now Tesla needs to give an update view of the car in about 20 photos rather than a 4 second video. I want to sit in one and drive it - and then own it.

phil | 24. April 2017

OP: 'I want to be able to say, "This is the perfect car!" to everyone I meet and not, "This is perfect car, except for the blank front end."'

You will be disappointed. The perfect car does not exist, and never will.

I like the front end. I dislike the mustache.

I'm not gonna take the time to Photoshop/GIMP this for you guys. Use your mind's eye instead. Imagine what the Model ☰ would look like with the seven vertical slats of a JEEP in front instead. Or the five sided grill from a Cadillac. Or the gaping mouth mesh covered grill of a Chrysler. Or the gaping oblong opening at the front of the latest Lincolns. Do any of those actually look better than what Tesla is offering? No. Of course they don't. Neither do the standard issue corporate designs offered by Acura, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, or Mercedes-Benz. They don't look 'better' -- they are simply more familiar. Wait until you have seen the cars for yourselves, in person, in three dimensions, and given yourself an opportunity to think of them in a more familiar fashion. Because, for the life of me, I still have no idea why people are so attached to the 'kidney grill' of a BMW which has always looked like Bugs Bunny's teeth to me, but complain about what they call a 'duck bill' on the Model ☰.

DTsea | 24. April 2017

Form follows function. Good function is beautiful.

mos6507 | 24. April 2017

(Not sure what a "Model ☰" is, Red. Tesla calls it a 3 and with every month that goes by that you refuse to abandon the character the sillier you look. I know you love the novelty of the character, but the company gave it up no matter how many times you pound it out of your keyboard it ain't coming back.)

A straight Porsche frontend would have been superior but the rounded off seams on the sides helps lessen the duck-bill.

akgolf | 24. April 2017

Lot's of things on this forum I would like to see changed, but I don't have an issue with "Model ☰". It was once called that and I still have the emblem on the back of my Leaf.

Frank99 | 24. April 2017

My car still has a sticker on the back: "My next car is a Tesla Model ☰", and I don't plan on removing it any time soon.
I think it's a harmless eccentricity to keep going through the effort to type it, and shows an affection for the car. So, relax a bit there Mos.

chris.pribe | 24. April 2017

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

JuJo0 | 24. April 2017

@chris.pribe

+10

chris.pribe: +21! Entirely appropriate.

dberto | 24. April 2017

Schnitzius, I agree with you 100%, but if the front end is the only 'blah' thing about it, I'll take it

Tiebreaker | 24. April 2017

Plenty of folks hated the first production Model S front. Then many hated the new moustached front.

tyrellfolkes | 24. April 2017

My wife agrees with you to a point. I like the simpleness of it. She would like to see some sort of small "grille" treatment similar to the new Model S'. I know there is no need for a grill of any sort, but a little somfin somfin would be cool. If they don't change it will that affect me buying one? Nope, not at all.

Garyeop | 24. April 2017

Think of the things you could put on the front end. A fake mustache. Smiling teeth. A sunset. Propellers. Taser prongs...You have been given a blank canvas. Use it.

Frank99 | 24. April 2017

OOOoooo...I like the way you think. I was planning on Bugs Bunny teeth, but a set of Taser Prongs, backed up with a high voltage generator, sounds really attractive. Now where would I find a source of high-voltage, high-current power on a car?

Garyeop | 24. April 2017

@Frank99 or enter the Tesla Taser in Deathrace 2018. Love nature, not people.

Haggy | 25. April 2017

It seems to have minor changes from the first reveal, and you also have to consider whether your state uses front license plates.

Red Sage ca us | 25. April 2017

I think the title of the thread should be edited to read 'Baadasssss!' instead.

davidtstewart | 25. April 2017

I am SO going to reserve www.teslamoustaches.com :)

pavel | 25. April 2017

I definitely liked the more aggressive look of the front of the prototypes. It's so subdued now I'm not crazy about it. Still holding out for the final reveal and design studio to go live.

hsuru4u | 25. April 2017

looks more mellow and less sporty but more"economical"

noleaf4me | 25. April 2017

schnitzius -- do you prefer the huge ugly front ends of the Lexus brand? What the hell is up with those huge hourglass shaped grilles?!?

I like the message -- no air needed here!

KP in NPT | 25. April 2017

So funny about Lexus.

My ICE, which I am hoping makes it until I get my Model 3, is a 2007 IS250.

Yesterday I took it in to (finally) get the takata airbag replaced. They gave me a loaner. The service guy was all happy when he brought me the key. "I got you a good one!"

It was the RX350. With that hideous grille. No power, no fun to drive, loud engine, jerky transmission. I actually like my old car better. And this after my last tesla loaner was a Founders Edition Model X. LOL

2015P90DI | 25. April 2017

It's a fail for me. Rest of the car s absolutely beautiful, but that front end looks like a big set of overgrown, collegian injected lips! I'm not a fan of the nose on the Model S or X either. That flat face with the lip at the bottom, ugh. At least on the S & X there is the upper emblem to help distract from it, the Model 3 is worse. Such potential wasted with not needing a grille. Of course won't stop me from buying it, but will never be happy about that front end.

KP in NPT | 25. April 2017

Someone posted some new pics of the blue release candidate on the FB Model 3 page.

I don't mind the "plain" front - but I'm not crazy about how low it is compared to the rest of the car. Some angles I don't mind it but others it looks odd, almost out of proportion. I'll see what I think when I see it IRL. In the end, I'll overlook it because a) I'm getting it anyway, and b) I'm assuming it was done for the CD.

johndoeeyed | 25. April 2017

It is not too late to change the front, if Tesla decides to do so, just as it was not 'too late' to change the Model S nose to what it is now. Tesla may have already done so.

Red Sage ca us | 25. April 2017

For anyone interested? Ford will gladly sell you one of its 'electrified' Energi plug-in variants of the Fusion for about the same money, and it comes with a big, huge, gaping grill in the front to feed a hungry, fire breathing, smoke churning, heat generator that will happily consume around 94% to 86% of the energy from your primary fuel source, while simultaneously rewarding you with between 14% and 36% waste motion. That's fair, right?

mos6507 | 26. April 2017

They will probably alter the front-end over time as the model years progress forward but I don't expect them to change it anymore in advance of launch. It is what it is.

Captain_Zap | 26. April 2017

With the Model S we never saw the final front end until the "First Deliveries" ceremony.

The final product differed from Betas and Release Candidates. The Release Candidates and Betas had a more aggressive styling.

sp_tesla | 26. April 2017

2015P90DI | April 25, 2017
It's a fail for me. Rest of the car s absolutely beautiful, but that front end looks like a big set of overgrown, collegian injected lips! I'm not a fan of the nose on the Model S or X either. That flat face with the lip at the bottom, ugh. At least on the S & X there is the upper emblem to help distract from it, the Model 3 is worse. Such potential wasted with not needing a grille. Of course won't stop me from buying it, but will never be happy about that front end."

+10 well said.
Remind me of old riddles:
With exception of few (Red Sage, Carlk, Etc)
No one want it but once you have it, you will never want to lose it?
Bald head.

cessna182 | 26. April 2017

I'm planning on LED light bars!

pavel | 26. April 2017

It's a missed opportunity with the front of the car. It really does look disproportionate when looking at the whole car. All they had to do is match the front to the S and the X - there was already the perfect design chosen and it would have tied their entire lineup together coherently.

Tiebreaker | 26. April 2017
M3forMe | 26. April 2017

The Blue is so beautiful. I like to see a RC in Silver. I have no issue with the front end. It looks better now than @ the 1st reveal. Can't wait!

Red Sage ca us | 26. April 2017

pavel: The design decision was made that the hood of Model ☰ would pay homage to that of the Tesla Roadster, instead of being extra long as is the case with Model S and Model X. The so-called 'mustache' completes the arced curve underneath the leading edge of the hood on those cars. Having that styling element on the Model ☰ without extending the length of the hood would look rather stupid.

This is not a front engine rear wheel drive fire breathing smoke churning ICE vehicle with a 'shooting brake' profile. Thank God. Those are truly disproportionate.

MarlonBrown | 26. April 2017

It is only you. Believe it or not, I rendered a Model 3 design very similar to what has been offered so far. This is why it is a unique design: how many cars do you have out there that resembles a Porsche design? Very few. On the other hand, the boxy looking type is what has been common place. If you think about it, a Toyota Corolla vs BMW or Audi etc have not much of a difference when it comes to the external shape. The Model 3 lines seem to be very proportional. It is subtle too. I really like it. Kind of low front end profile. This car in white pearl and gray wheels will be very pretty I think.

It is only you. Believe it or not, I rendered a Model 3 design very similar to what has been offered so far. This is why it is a unique design: how many cars do you have out there that resembles a Porsche design? Very few. On the other hand, the boxy looking type is what has been common place. If you think about it, a Toyota Corolla vs BMW or Audi etc have not much of a difference when it comes to the external shape. The Model 3 lines seem to be very proportional. It is subtle too. I really like it. Kind of low front end profile. This car in white pearl and gray wheels will be very pretty I think.

Red Sage ca us | 26. April 2017

I have been drawing sketches of cab forward vehicles for decades now. The designs always end up with the same issue. They are more windshield leading edge forward than they are actually cabin forward. The cabin can only go so far forward before the driver has no place to put their feet, because of wheelwells that impinge upon the cabin itself. Tesla seems to have solved this problem by using a fully electric drivetrain. Now, the wheels can be pushed just a bit further toward the front of the car. Leaving room for feet up front in a comfortable position. It may not be very far, perhaps 4-to-6 inches or so, but it does make a difference. Without a massive heat generator up front, the structure ahead can be designed primarily as a crumple zone to improve safety, and there is no need for a traditional firewall ahead of the dashboard in the cabin. Further, the wheelbase can be longer within the overall length of a shorter vehicle than is possible with a high horsepower, big displacement ICE. Sure, the car may seem to end rather abruptly ahead of the front wheels. But that is necessary due to crash regulations meant to protect pedestrians. And it does so while still looking GOOD, and not including a cow pusher as standard equipment. The Model 3 has a very good design from stem to stern.

Pages