Forums

AWD Model 3

AWD Model 3

I live in Northern, VT just about 5 miles south of Canada. Before I place an order for the Model 3, will I have adverse effects with battery life due to the colder weather here that would "hurt" the car more than normal?

Also - will there be an option for a Model3-D? i.e. AWD?

With all the snow, I think that would be great to have also.

thanks,
Keith

bmalloy0 | 06. Mai 2017

To your first question: cold weather will affect (effect? Can never remember properly) your max RANGE, but should not a/effect LONGEVITY.

To your second: AWD will be offered, but will not be available for immediate production. Tweets suggest late December for day-1 reservists.

tedirelan | 06. Mai 2017

@bmalloy0 - Most of the time, you'll want affect as a verb meaning to influence something and effect for the something that was influenced. The difference between affect and effect is so slippery that people have started using "impact" as a verb instead.
-Google

tigardspaz | 06. Mai 2017

I'm holding out for AWD. I live in Indiana and it gets pretty cold here and the roads get slippery. I was concerned about missing out on the tax credit, but if I can place my order by the end of December, I think I'll be okay.

tstolz | 06. Mai 2017

I'm in Alberta, Canda and have 110,000 KM on my S85D ... degradation is 1.5% .. which is lower than average by a fair margin. I'm wondering if cold weather is better! We do know that heat is bad. The D will be available by Christmas .. so yes.

Haggy | 07. Mai 2017

If you don't currently have a reservation, there should be no delay in getting AWD. By the time your turn comes up, it will have been available for a long time.

Tesla sells well in cold climates, and at the time I got mine, it was the best selling car of any kind in Norway, and that was before they introduced AWD.

saferstreets | 21. Mai 2017

How about the clearance? Will it be possible to raise the body off the ground a little more for bad roads or rally type use?

Red Sage ca us | 22. Mai 2017

It will probably be a while before offroad suspension options are available for Model ☰. But there will probably be an air suspension option from the time of launch. One may hope it to be adjustable in a range as large as a Subaru, but it may only be an inch or two higher than 'normal' at best.

Ehninger1212 | 22. Mai 2017

Air suspension to provide a ground clearance increase would be great. I think the 3 should be able to be marketed towards current Subaru owners and out door types.Helo protect what they love. I wouldn't hesistate to take my 3 off the beaten path.

jordanrichard | 22. Mai 2017

By the time that East coasters will be able to configure their cars, all the available options will be, well, available.