Forums

Windows tinted now smudges on windshield in front of cameras

Windows tinted now smudges on windshield in front of cameras

Just had my windows tinted and heat blocking film put on the windshield. It appears the shop left stone smudges on the windshield under the plastic cover in front of the front cameras. Doesn't seam good to me, like it could distort the view. Worth talking it apart to polish the glass? Hard to get a good picture.

murphyS90D | 24. August 2017

There should not be any tint film in front of the camera. That changes what it is "seeing". If they removed the camera housing to install the tint it is also probably in need of a SvC calibration.

justin.rogers77 | 24. August 2017

No film in front of the cameras, it looks like residue from the spray they use to install the film.

TeslaTap.com | 24. August 2017

I'd get it fixed. Not sure if it is something you can do yourself without screwing up the camera alignment.

For California (and possibly other states), you're only allowed film on the front windshield for the top 4". Any more can risk a fix-it ticket (i.e. have to prove it's removed and pay the fine).

Not sure why heat blocking film is needed as the Tesla windshield is already IR blocking.

justin.rogers77 | 24. August 2017

I was thinking I could get to it via the dash cam install instructions. Can always block more heat to protect the interior, more money than sense I guess.