Forums

Tesla readying the public design studio

Tesla readying the public design studio

https://electrek.co/2017/09/21/tesla-model-3-design-studio/

Great news...that something is happening. Any day (or week) now... ;-)

hoffmannjames | 21. September 2017

Very exciting! Although I imagine that the design studio will open to customers in the order of their reservation. So many of us with estimated delivery of next year, might have to wait quite awhile before we get to see the design studio. But it would be nice if Tesla let all reservation holders see the design studio now even if they can't place an order yet. It would at least give us a chance to study the different options more closely while we wait.

KP in NPT | 21. September 2017

Oh don't worry, there will be screen shots posted all over the internet. ;-)

I agree it will probably open based on reservation - but it's a start!

I eagerly await the flood of screenshots. Who knows? There might be some interesting tweaks from the earlier leaked screenshots we've already seen.

sosmerc | 21. September 2017

Why wouldn't the design studio be open to anyone to view? At the bottom of the page there could be several boxes to choose from: "Save Configuration" "Confirm Selections and Place Order" "Just Visiting"

PhillyGal | 21. September 2017

I can't imagine how Tesla is still estimating Oct-Dec for some of us and the design studio isn't open yet. Which means no, October isn't really happening. Not that I expected it to but dang I did expect to be invited to config by now.

Though to be fair, since I still don't know which battery I'm going to order, not having to commit yet is a plus.

kgr99 | 21. September 2017

"Which means no, October isn't really happening."

I would not be that conclusive just yet. I expect Tesla is smart enough to plan in advance since they know the demand for all SKU's already. They would likely follow a "Match to Order" method than "Made to Order".

For all we know, they are producing certain high demand configurations or at-least planned for their production already even before users have started their design studio process.

dyefrog | 21. September 2017

In that scenario, you could confirm your order and the car is shipped next day. The Amazon of car delivery. Now if only I could subscribe to Tesla Prime and get free shipping.

Bighorn | 21. September 2017

Haven't we already seen screen shots of the order page from insiders?

This one looks different, @Bighorn. I little more refined.

Carl Thompson | 21. September 2017

@kgr99:
"I expect Tesla is smart enough to plan in advance since they know the demand for all SKU's already. They would likely follow a 'Match to Order' method than 'Made to Order'."

Agree with this. There are so few options choices for the 3 it make sense for Tesla to build all the different permutations first and match them to buyers as needed. This should make turnaround time much faster than with previous cars. No reason people can't be getting their cars in October (provided they do have any problems scaling production).

Carl

Shock | 21. September 2017

https://electrek.co/2017/09/11/tesla-model-3-deliveries-employees-and-in...

"Despite the somewhat limited market that they represent, Tesla guided 1,500 Model 3 deliveries during the third quarter, which ends this month."

What is electrek basing this on? If it's accurate, it seems like tesla is on track.

I should of course have used the word "combinations" rather than "permutations."

@kgr - Very possible they're premaking cars that can be shipped right after you order. I just somehow doubt it and doubt anyone east of the MS will see their cars in October who isn't an employee. I'd love to be wrong here though!

@kgr - Very possible they're premaking cars that can be shipped right after you order. I just somehow doubt it and doubt anyone east of the MS will see their cars in October who isn't an employee. I'd love to be wrong here though!

I totally can see them making bunch of cars and then assigning VIN based on matching your options to what's been made. The only thing they don't know based on the choices in the delivery estimator is who will want white interior.

SamO | 21. September 2017

They are putting data into their customer-facing "bucket" which means we should see something "soon."

Lol.

Frank99 | 21. September 2017

No white interiors in those pictures...

Shock -
Tesla's last quarterly call, EM said "We are confident we can produce just over 1,500 vehicles in Q3".

Shock | 21. September 2017

"Shock -
Tesla's last quarterly call, EM said "We are confident we can produce just over 1,500 vehicles in Q3"."

Right, but that was 7 weeks ago before they had really created anything. I wonder if they are on track with that

jefjes | 21. September 2017

I hope there will be some lag time between "placing order" and getting the car. The additional $2500 would be no problem to just put on the credit card they already have on file for my $1k reservation but the remaining amount that I plan to pay down on delivery will need some time for things like sale of stocks and transfer of funds from money market accounts.

jordanrichard | 21. September 2017

Now this is a big "IF". If they do as they do with the MS/MX, you can select what month you want your car delivered. That would help you with organization of funds.

Shock -
It's been real quiet on that front. More people are getting deliveries, but Tesla originally guided that they'd be building 1500 Model 3's in September, and I haven't seen enough reports or VINs to suggest that they've delivered anywhere near that, and September is mostly over. Now, we know there's a difference between "building" and "delivering", but I'm beginning to think that they're a bit behind their schedule...

rxlawdude | 21. September 2017

@Frank, did you read the link that @shock posted? Sounds pretty much opposite of your Debbie Downer view.

I tend to agree with Frank here - until I see evidence.

Fred from Electrek is as much of a fan boy as many of us here. He wrote about what Tesla guided in the quarterly call and then said "based on evidence we've gathered," they're on track - but based on the VINs posted so far, they aren't there yet. So what was the evidence they've gathered? Fred didn't say. Several commenters on that story called that out.

That said, it is also entirely possible we don't have the whole picture since they're being so tight lipped. But until I start to see VINs in the higher hundreds (Instead of in the low 200s which is all we've seen) I'll wait to see what they say in the quarterly report.

There are some Model 3s waiting for delivery at Centinella . . . should have checked the vins.

tsk tsk SamO. ;)

Maybe it's not too late. I've got to drive to OC today. I'll try and stop by :-)

Go, Go, SamO!

I'm really not trying to be "Debbie Downer" here; I've been through enough production ramp-ups in my professional career to expect delays, especially in a program as accelerated as this one. I wouldn't have much of a care if Tesla had to shut the line down for a month - it would have little impact on the date I get me car, and I don't think it would have any impact on Tesla's viability, although it would likely be a gut-punch to the stock price until they recovered.

Sweetride | 21. September 2017

Seems as though most expected the ordering to go live for first customers about one month prior to first deliveries to non employees. The Tesla web site says customer deliveries will start in late October. Perhaps there's still time?

Considering that Tesla is making 1st production cars with long range battery and premium interior as standard and customers only need to pick color, wheels and EAP/FSD, I imagine that Tesla could probably process a lot of those initial orders without a full fledged design studio. So it is still possible that customers will be able to place their October orders even without a 100% functional design studio.

hsadler | 21. September 2017

Will they be able to deliver via drones?????

Some wild speculation...

1. It's been reported that deliveries have been confirmed for some east coast employees for _this_ month. If Tesla delivered to west coast employees first to make fixing issues easier then that might imply they've already delivered or scheduled near term deliveries for their west cost employees. Most of Tesla's ~15,000 - 20,000 Model 3 eligible employees are on the west coast of the US. Maybe this means that Tesla has shipped to more employees than we realize.

2. I have not been looking for Model 3s. Nevertheless, I have seen 4 Model 3s during my Bay Area commute in the last few weeks (2 blue, 1 red, 1 midnight). I'm not scanning the road looking at all the other cars either. The only reason I noticed these Model 3s is because they happened to be right next to my car. Given the amount of traffic in the Bay Area it seems unlikely I would have seen so many if there were only a couple hundred on the road.

OK, so maybe this is complete guessing but I'm going to be optimistic...

Carl

dsvick | 21. September 2017

Here is my complete WAG about the design center ....

Initial, non-employee, customer configuration emails will go out Sunday and will lead with something like "Since the world didn't end yesterday we would like to invite you ..."

I didn't say this Carl - "Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon" :|

That's encouraging, Carl.

I don't think all the employees are taking their deliveries now, btw. I think some are waiting for white seats, some waiting for AWD or P. the guy in my service center told me he's going to wait a bit. Anecdotal I know but there is no way they were ever going to do "all" employees with this ramp and be able to tell owners their deliveries would start in October. I mean it was only supposed to be 1500 cars thru Sept.

@kgr99:
"I didn't say this Carl - "Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon" :|"

That would explain why I've seen so many Model 3s... It would just explain why I've _noticed_ seeing so many Model 3s. It doesn't change the fact that the Model 3s were there.

Carl

Should be "That would NOT explain why..."

TeslaTap.com | 21. September 2017

PhillyGal - "Which means no, October isn't really happening."

I don't expect Tesla has the power to make an entire month disappear. That would be a neat trick :)

@TT ;-)

It was shaping up to be a bad month anyway. Good riddance to it.

@Carl. Haha...That's a good come back. ;-)

you can't get rid of October, it has Halloween ... think of the children ...

mntlvr23 | 21. September 2017

you can't get rid of October, it has the World Series ... think of mntlvr23 ...
I will go to all four to seven games if the Nats make it

oh yea, the world series too!! The Indians might actually win it this year! If the Indians and Nats play each other you can crash here, lover of 23 mints .... providing I get a sneak peek at the hat....

very cool, thanks !
How close are you to Progressive Field?

20 minutes, call it a half hour with traffic

sweet - I think that is going to be the match-up

rjadams72 | 21. September 2017

A design studio is not needed now, options are pretty basic, we've all seen the screen shots. I guess if it floats your boat you could change the color every day.

bj | 22. September 2017

I think Frank has a point. Tesla (or rather EM) did give an estimate of 1500 Model 3s in September. That is quite a lot of Model 3s when you think about it - 70 per working day on average - so someone near Fremont presumably would see either lots of trucks leaving the factory stuffed with Model 3s or lots of Model 3s in the parking lot waiting for pickup. So the question is - has that kind of evidence been observed? If so, great.

dsvick | 22. September 2017

mint, cool. If the match up looks like it may happen we can figure out details. regarding the hat though, I actually would rather that someone won it by then than have it available for viewing.

Pages