Forums

First Delivery in Austin, TX!! Congrats!! and Question??

First Delivery in Austin, TX!! Congrats!! and Question??

Congrats to the owner, and very excited for him.
Has anyone seen the video yet?
Watching that delivery makes me so nervous, because the staff are not fully inform on the car function and yet they are handing it over to a costumer. Granted, I'm sure that owner has experience, but as a new owner and someone totally new to EV. It'll makes me nervous driving an unfamiliar car. There still so many question:
1) does passengers door have manual open latch as well? In case of power out and the car on fire?
2) No radio? Later, if data no longer free we have to pay to listen to the radio (including FM)?
3) 7 cameras? 3 nears the mirror, 1 back, 1 in R & L logo, and 1 in R pillar?
4) Windshield wiper is control by screen too? Would the regular control on the stalk (stick-whatever you call it) be easier to control without taking your eyes off the road?
Those are my initial questions. If anyone know please help me fill in the gap. To the lucky owner, again congrats!!

SO | 23. September 2017
SO | 23. September 2017

Pages 24, 25 and 26 for your first concern.

hoffmannjames | 23. September 2017

3) I believe it is 8 cameras. 3 in front, 2 on either side and 1 rear camera.
4) wipers are controlled by the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel like most cars. :)

SP_H | 23. September 2017

@So thank you! Mechanical opens are only on front doors. Good to know
@ Hoffmannjames, that makes sense. I don't know why in the video they say 7. As for the stalk glad to know they still have it on the left side. I would not want to mess with finding the button on the screen while driving on a rainy road.
Thank you for the info :)

Well, watching the video, it is clear that the staff are not fully informed about the car. Considering how quickly Tesla is rolling out the Model 3, it is not surprising if some of their staff are a bit behind.

@SP_H My advice to you is watch as many first hand videos about the Model 3 as you can. The owner's manual will probably be available before you get your car so when you can, read it thoroughly and carefully. By the time you take delivery, you will be very well informed. So don't worry about getting your car and not knowing what to do.

AlMc | 23. September 2017

I would also expect a lengthy video put out by Tesla about the features of the model 3, as they did with S and X. If they asked me (they did not :) ) I would wait on making that video until they had a couple of the software deficiencies
(like no wifi connection) solved.

garyjtate | 23. September 2017

What video?

This video: https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=tLsuUbqv4eg

AJPHL | 23. September 2017

Is there no sunglasses storage cubby by the overhead lights?

Rajkrishnan9 | 23. September 2017

How come austin delivery ? Thot only employees ?

carlk | 23. September 2017

Looks he did not know the best way to find streaming music or stations is through voice control.

@hoffmannjames, thank you, I will be watching and reading as much as I can. I'm glad I still have time. I'm thankful for the people getting it first and posting video.
@AIMc I thought they would have that video already for employee at delivery center and employees getting their car.
I'm glad they're figuring it out for us.

Randy in Austin | 23. September 2017

@Rajkrishnan9. There are Tesla employees in Austin. There is a service center and a showroom.

jefjes | 23. September 2017

@hoffmannjames- So there is wiper control on the left stalk as well as the touch screen? I can see from watching the video, showing the wiper control on the touch screen, that it may make viewers think otherwise.

Captain_Zap | 23. September 2017

@AJPHL

Hilarious!

@jefjes I have seen pics of the left stalk that have the little windshield wiper icon on them so I am pretty confident that you can control the wipers from the stalk unless Tesla changed something super recently.

Thx

jefjes | 23. September 2017

@hoffmannjames- I'm sure you are correct and the on screen control in the video is probably just another way to access that function as are many features on the car like opening the charge port door. That can be done from the screen, phone, charge handle, or manually from what I understand.

bodenalan | 23. September 2017

wow no AM/FM radio, or Music streaming from Phone..... sounds like part of the reason its going employees first, software is not finished yet. Why wouldn't this be in the first batch, seems like its just reuse of S/X radio components?

Do we know what qualified this guy in Austin to be early? did he have some sort of referral bonus head start?

Deliveries are still going to Tesla employees so my guess is the guy in Austin is most likely a Tesla employee who put in a first day reservation.

Noticed there was no mention of intermittent wipers. At least no controls showed on screen, could only be on stalk?

Possible. Here is a screenshot that shows the left stalk. There seem to be several wiper settings:
https://cdn.tes larati.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/QE4lCLg-518x270.png

Mozart | 23. September 2017

It appears that the left stalk is identical to the model S. The switch on the end of the stalk has 5 settings

LostInTx | 23. September 2017

This is the Tesla at The Arboretum in northwest Austin, which, on a completely irrelevant point, is within blocks of where I grew up.

Beautiful car and I thought it was a bit refreshing that the Tesla staff knew what they didn't know.

On delivery, I presume Tesla contracts people to motor these cars across country. It would seem inefficient to ship one car at a time. Assuming that, perhaps several cars arrived in Austin on this one shipment. Thoughts?

@byrned
5 settings for intermittent wipers you think?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23. September 2017

Rain sensing wipers.

Car carrier may have arrived with Model X and Model S orders as well as Model 3

Daryl | 23. September 2017

#bodenalan: "wow no AM/FM radio"

The Tesla Model 3 web page has this cryptic entry:

FM/Internet streaming radio

which to me implies that it has FM radio along with Internet streaming audio.

@hoffmannjames, you are correct about the left stalk. There's a picture of it on TMC and someone says "Short press for single swipe. Long press for spray and wipe."
Since an employee in Austin got his delivery, does that mean everyone else (day one reservation, previous owner, or want the 1st production group) in Cali already got theirs?
Also does FM radio requires data? or just it work like other car radio?

re: FM/AM radio I just assumed that it gets the FM/AM stations through internet streaming like TuneIn or iHeart.

There is no way that the Model 3 would not have FM/AM radio.

So no connection = no radio? ( sorry if I'm asking stupid question, my current car is really old, so this is all new to me). Some time on road trip certain place doesn't have signal.

@SP_H the Model 3 uses a LTE cell phone signal for an internet connection. So yeah, if you are in a place with a weak cell phone signal, you will get poor radio reception. That would only be an issue in very very rural areas. Most places in the US get some cell signal even if it is not very strong.

I see, thank you for the info :)

JeffreyR | 23. September 2017

I expect a series of videos about different parts of the M3.

rxlawdude | 23. September 2017

Guys, the M3 does NOT HAVE AN AM radio (personally confirmed with Tesla mothership). NO EVIDENCE IT HAS AN XM radio.

It has FM (and no mention whether that's HD radio) and streaming. Period.

For those in California, when you see those "Tune to xxxx AM for road information" signs, you can fuggitaboutit. These are NEVER carried on streaming stations.

For those who are sports fans, when you want to tune your favorite AM station that streams, oopsie! Either the channel isn't on TuneIn, or if is the channel is blacked out during the game due to licensing restrictions. (e.g., MLB wants their coin for you to listen to the exact same broadcast that's free, but you can't listen to.)

The omission of AM and non-option for XM satellite is a huge screw up, IMO.

Lonestar10_1999 | 23. September 2017

I don’t understand the front trunk. Do you really need to jumper it with 12 VDC to get it to release?

@Lonestar, of course not!

The reference is for first responders, IF the 12V battery in the car is dead, to use the two wires to open the front trunk (in Tesla owners' vernacular, the "frunk").

Those wires will NOT open the frunk if the 12V system is alive in the car. This prevents it from being an entry point for thieves. The way they did it on the M3 is a helluva lot smarter than on the MS, where anyone who knows how can get into the frunk and mess with its contents.

Carl Thompson | 23. September 2017

@Lonestar10_1999:
"I don’t understand the front trunk. Do you really need to jumper it with 12 VDC to get it to release?"

Yes. Every time you want to get your packages out of the frunk you'll need to hook it up to a 12v power source.*

*Just kidding.

No actually you'll be able to open the frunk from the center screen. It's only in the event that your small 12v (accessory) battery has died that you'll you'll need to follow this procedure to open the frunk.

And if you 12v battery _has_ died, you _will_ need to do this because that battery is located _in_ the frunk. So to get a jump start, charge or replace the battery this procedure will be necessary.

Carl

Hmm... Just though about this. One of the videos mentions that the door handles on the outside are electronic releases just like the buttons on the inside. That would mean that if the 12v battery has died there is no way to get into the cabin of the car without jumping or charging the 12v battery first. That could be pretty inconvenient if your 12v battery dies and you need to get your phone or your AAA / roadside assistance information out of the car.

Carl

One more thing: If your 12v battery dies you'd better hope _someone else_ has jumper cables. You won't be able to get yours no matter where they are in the car!

Carl

@Carl, you're wrong again.

To open the Model 3 doors from the outside, press the wide part of a door handle inwards and then pull the door open.
NOTE: If the door handles do not function, open a front door manually by reaching inside the window and using the mechanical release handle. See Opening Front Doors Without Power on page 27.

Source: Tesla Model 3 2017+ Emergency Response Guide, page 25.

Also if the outside door handles are electronic only then if you pass out at the wheel, drive into a lake and the 12v system shorts out people won't be able to dive in, open your door and pull you out. (But probably that sort of thing only happens in the movies.)

Carl

@rxlawdude:
"To open the Model 3 doors from the outside, press the wide part of a door handle inwards and then pull the door open."

Yes, but according to the OCDetailer video, that's an electronic release not a mechanical release. So that wouldn't work if the 12v battery has died (if they are correct).

Carl

@rxlawdude:
"If the door handles do not function, open a front door manually by reaching inside the window and using the mechanical release handle."

That assumes you leave your windows open (most people don't) or are willing to break your window (most people aren't).

Carl

So to sum up... If your 12v battery has died (and if it's true that the outside door handles are not mechanical):

You won't be able to get into the car to get your phone, jumper cables, roadside assistance info or anything else!

And if you pass out while driving and drive into a body of water (probably something that happens only in movies):

Divers won't be able to open the doors to pull you out.*

*Assuming that being submerged in water shorts out the 12v system.

Carl

Model S/X owners can answer this: isn't it very rare for the 12v battery to just fail for no reason when you still have lots of juice in your main battery? And doesn't the 12v battery fail mostly when you let the charge of the main battery drop to completely zero? I am just thinking that it is probably very rare for the 12v battery to fail for a reason outside the driver's control.

Oy. I've just been CT'd again. I provided the AUTHORITATIVE source from TESLA, and this yokel refutes it with a video from a friggin' detailer.

SMH.

nwadave | 23. September 2017

Hey everyone, it's Saturday nite. Just have a drink and relax. So much more info will be here shortly you should practice now on how to handle it.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23. September 2017

CHARLIE TANGO never allows pesky little facts get in the way of highly opinionated or entirely unsubstantiated supposition and exposition.

I'm with @nwdave. Time for a cocktail. :-)

I wish I could lol, so much info to process. More questions too. Carl does have a good point about being lock out if 12v battery fail.
*inhale~exhale* ok...better

Pages