Forums

Model 3 touch screen

Model 3 touch screen

Yodrak. | 25. September 2017

This article has as many errors as correct statements. Better to watch the actual video and decide for yourself.

avanti5010 | 26. September 2017

The Touchscreen video reinforces my concern about the driver having to take eyes off the road to fiddle with it. There are several instances where the person using it has to keep punching the icon to get it to work.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 26. September 2017

What ever happened to 'Set it and forget it.'...?

stevenmaifert | 26. September 2017

Is the touch screen the only way to turn on the windshield wipers? I too have concerns about taking your eyes off the road to fiddle with it.

hoffmannjames | 26. September 2017

@stevenmaifert No, you can turn on the wipers from the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel.

stevenmaifert | 26. September 2017

Thanks.

jordanrichard | 26. September 2017

"What ever happened to 'Set it and forget it.'...?" +1

People just assume that you are having to mess with all these settings/pages while on the go.

The only setting for the wipers that is via the center screen would be to put the wipers in "Service Mode", which you certainly wouldn't be doing on the go.

KP in NPT | 26. September 2017

@JR, it appears that for now, it's different for the Model 3. It looks like the Model 3 does not yet have rain sensing wipers and that it's tied to a future update having to do with EAP.

jordanrichard | 26. September 2017

Ok. If the Right steering column stalk is the gear selector, then what does the Left stalk do? Just for changing lanes?

dsvick | 26. September 2017

@jr - according to a video KP posted (in a different thread that I'm too lazy to go find and copy right now), the left talk, when pushed in once, will do a single swipe of the wipers, at the same time it will cause the screen to bring up the wiper controls so you can set them for either fast or slow. As KP mentioned above, rain sensing will arrive in a future update tied with EAP.

Electric_Sheeple | 26. September 2017

@ avanti5010 - the car is designed from the start to drive itself... Hopefully we won't have to have our hands on the wheel and eyes on the road for much longer. "Distracted driving" will soon be a thing of the past.

dsvick | 26. September 2017

Ok, I'm not that lazy, here it is twitter. com/Model3Owners/status/912679637079265281

This is the first link I've not been able to post in a while

eeb9 | 26. September 2017

@JYOinSA - not ALL of us are looking forward to self-driving...

I know the car was made with that capability in-mind, but they need to support us dinosaurs/Luddites as well... ;-)

I don't want my car to drive itself anywhere just yet...

bmz | 26. September 2017

Am I the only Tesla fanboy here? With the M3's supercomputer, voice control will be essentially perfect. You won't have to worry about looking at the touchscreen; you will just give verbal commands.

Iwantmy3 | 26. September 2017

I'm with you eeb9.
I want to drive a sports car, not sit in a cab.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 26. September 2017

Last time I checked, operating manual switches for windshield wipers was not driving.

KP in NPT | 26. September 2017

@JR, the left stalk does both. the button on the end does the swipe/clean, and moving the stalk up/down activates the turn signals. When you hit the button on the end to swipe/clean, the controls also pop up on the screen in the event you want to adjust the wiper speed (or as of now, turn the wipers on, since auto isn't activated yet.) It is not known if that control on the screen will remain after rain-sensing wipers are activated. I would guess it will, since unlike the S/X, there is no controls for it on the stalk.

Carl Thompson | 26. September 2017

@hoffmannjames:
"No, you can turn on the wipers from the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel."

This is not exactly correct. Pressing the left stalk gives you one swipe of the windshield wipers. If you want to turn them on so that they stay on and continuously operate by themselves then you need to use the touchscreen. As KP says pressing the stalk does pull up the proper screen on the touchscreen so at least you don't need to go hunting for the controls.

Carl

Yodrak. | 26. September 2017

"... you don't need to go hunting for the controls"

It seems to me that any new car owner, especially a new M3 owner who is concerned about having to spend too much time looking at the touchscreen, should spend some time parked in their new car learning where the various controls are and practicing using them before doing a whole lot of driving.

Retraining that supercomputer between your ears may take a bit more time when going from a car with knobs and switches to a car with a touchscreen than going to a car with different knobs and switches, but it will happen. Just don't expect it to happen in a day, and drive conservatively while you're learning the new way. It won't be long before you become just as comfortable with the new way as you were with the old way.

Carl Thompson | 26. September 2017

@Yodrak

Agreed. I (and most others) will definitely get used to it. But it will be an adjustment as you say.

TeslaTap.com | 26. September 2017

On the model S, took me minutes to adjust to the touch screen. I rarely need functions that are not on the main screen while driving. Most functions are labeled in clear English (and presumably localized for other countries).

I've always hated cars with 100s of cryptically labeled buttons with strange icons that requires a 500 page printed manual to decode. I'm sure it saves a few pennies per button, but at the cost of clarity.

Frank99 | 26. September 2017

Oh, yeah. Have you tried recently to read one of the "emergency cards located in the seatback pocket in front of you"? They've been translated into inscrutable internationalized comic books with nary a single word. I think the idea is that it's unfair if some people on the plane can read and understand it, so they made it so nobody could. It's more fair that way...
I feel the same way about most car interiors. I've been renting a lot of cars recently, and I despair of figuring out anything except how to turn it on, turn on the headlights, and operate the turn signal. Most times I can get the radio on, but heck if I can change stations. All the other functions of the rental car might as well not exist.