Forums

Something To Think About When You Get Your ≡. A Primer on Paint Protective Film.

Something To Think About When You Get Your ≡. A Primer on Paint Protective Film.

I know next to nothing about protective film, and this video was sponsored, but 'Engineering Explained' produces some very informational videos. At the very least this one shows how the film works and how it is applied.

youtube com/watch?v=ND4vE9vmQWE

(owners, can you help a brother out?)

KP in NPT | 26. September 2017

youtube.com/watch?v=ND4vE9vmQWE

;-)

KP in NPT | 26. September 2017
mntlvr23 | 26. September 2017

Thanks CC - (but I really don't want to be tempted to spend more money ;)
oops, too late

dsvick | 27. September 2017

Good info, thanks CC. I'm still trying to decide between something like Xpel and something like the Avery SW900 which is thinner but can be different colors.

dl1972 | 27. September 2017

I have Suntek on my current car (3 years now) and I love it. I wanted XPel Ultimate, but the installer (reputable installer) said it's more difficult to install and Suntek has the same characteristics.
I got full frontal on the car (full hood, bumpers, fenders, mirrors, pillars and partial roof (maybe a foot on the roof).
I absolutely think it was worth every penny. It was pretty expensive from what I remember, but i have 0 chips on my black car. It's easier to wash the car (mitt glides along the film more smooth than non-protected surfaces).
I have no doubt I'll have it installed again...probably even before I pick the car up from the dealer.

sroh | 27. September 2017

I know this is pretty expensive (I've read something like $7K to do an entire MS?). I also know some people just do high-impact areas to protect against rocks, such as front bumpers, hood, mirrors. I'm thinking the smaller size of M3 would be cheaper?

What areas of the car are people thinking of doing? Any idea of cost? Perhaps those who have done it for MS or other cars can chime in?

ybbor | 27. September 2017

I'm thinking about doing the Opti-Coat Pro Plus Ceramic Paint Protection when I get my Model 3. I think it costs about $1k to have done and as long as you have it maintained each year, it has a 7 year warranty.

KP in NPT | 27. September 2017

I don't know the price but based on various numbers I've seen for the MS (wide ranges) I'm going to guess that doing a whole car the size of the 3 would still be several thousand dollars - which is too rich for me. Especially considering my car lives outside and so it would not last as long. Like, half as long.

If I garaged my car, I might consider just doing the bumper and hood since they're most prone to rock chips.

Carl Thompson | 27. September 2017

How is having PPF or a wrap affected by body work or minor scrapes? With my commute being rear-ended every few years is a fact of life.

@CT, from what I've read, all you need to is get the section that was damaged replaced. So if you got rear ended, you may just need to replace the film on the bumper, depending on where they had to seam it. On the other hand, if it's a minor enough scrape, it will self heal and you need not worry about it at all.

@KP, I'm hoping it isn't much more than $4,000, but I'm leaning towards the Avery SW900 wrap, which is thinner than the Xpel and, I've heard, easier to apply so should be cheaper all around. Then I can just get the basic black color and apply the $1,000 I saved there to the cost of the wrap.

At least that's what I'm thinking now, it'll probably change next week ...

CV63 | 27. September 2017

Just how good is this stuff at preventing rock chips? I'm thinking of just getting the hood done. Looking at my current car and RT78 has done a number on the hood. Other areas are fine. I think the front bumpers being rubber do a good enough job of absorbing the impacts.

Just how good is this stuff at preventing rock chips? I'm thinking of just getting the hood done. Looking at my current car and RT78 has done a number on the hood. Other areas are fine. I think the front bumpers being rubber do a good enough job of absorbing the impacts.

Clearly the question is so important I asked twice!

Frank99 | 27. September 2017

The people who've had XPel done rave about it, and about how flawless their car stays, so it must work well. I've heard it even reduces the parking lot dents on the passenger door/front quarter panel from people opening their door into your car. But I've got no personal experience with it.

dl1972 | 27. September 2017

Get the front done. Should not be anywhere near $4000. I’m thinking $2000, but I’m not sure. Bumper, full hood, mirrors is what you want to do. Maybe partial roof. Might as well do headlights. I wish I had done the headlights on mine just to see the difference. Some will say to get the fenders done too because it helps it blend in better with the hood being covered, but I don’t think I would notice it.
Honestly, if I had the money, I’d get the whole thing wrapped
Note: in a different car, I would consider getting the door handle “cup” done. I don’t know what that part inside the handle where your fingernails could scratch the paint is called.
You may want to consider the rear bumper depending on how the trunk opens (think about sliding suitcases in, etc)
I found my invoice from over three years ago on my Lexus RX:
Note this entire work included prep work on the car (claybar, etc) and some interior work (dash and seat cleaner/protectant)
I got 22ple (ceramic coating) done including wheels for $1100.
I also have a price breakdown for the PPF I had done:
Full hood: $615
Full front fenders: $978
Front bumper: $615
Mirrors: $150
A-Pillars and partial roof: $282

Looking at this now, I think the fenders are way over priced.
The rest of it I’m probably ok with.

On the model 3, I will definitely get it done. May not do the fenders depending on price. Smaller sedan should be cheaper than an suv, and the front end should be easier to do than the suv I have now.