Forums

Tesla switches from NVIDIA to Intel for its infotainment systems?

Tesla switches from NVIDIA to Intel for its infotainment systems?

Interesting, it would appear that Tesla is switching from NVIDIA to Intel for its infotainment systems. I wonder if NVIDIA would not give a big enough volume discount.

Hopefully this is good news and the infotainment systems is on a powerful modern chip with lots of power available for enhancements over the next 10 years OTA software updates. I wonder when the new chips will make it in to the Model S/X?

https://www.e ngadget.com/2017/09/26/tesla-switches-to-intel-for-infotainment/

I can't wait for someone to take apart the Model 3 infotainment systems and give us details on the hardware.

What do you think? Good news or bad news?

locnguyencalalum | 27. September 2017

I don't see the bad news. Competition helps innovation and cost reductions to the consumers. Well, bad news for Nvidia maybe.

TeslaTap.com | 27. September 2017

Intel doesn't make ARM chips (at least that I could find), but is more likely offering the ATOM processor. They even offer support to migrate from ARM to ATOM. Must be a great deal to have Tesla willing to switch code bases for the Model 3, but the Nvidia CPU is now more than 5 years old. It goes a way to explain why some announced software features are not finished for the 3 that have been in the S/X for years.

I sort of doubt any CPU change to the S/X until a total redesign perhaps in 2-3 years. Too much work for little gain (saving a few dollars per car, where the margins are still fine).

andy.connor.e | 27. September 2017

Knowing Tesla, they are so far into planning for the future, that they probably intend to completely discontinue the S&X, as a total reconfiguration of their manufacturing lines would probably be more costly than to just re-do it completely, and more simplistically.

Such as the simplicity of going from the S to the 3. The complexity of the S makes it as expensive as it is. I doubt they will continue to keep the S and X up to date with the newest technology.

ybbor | 27. September 2017

@TeslaTap.com That's a really good point about switching code bases being the reason why some of the existing features are not completed yet on the Model 3. I look forward to seeing what they are able to do with a newer processor.

stevenmaifert | 27. September 2017

I care less about who makes the processor and more about the GUI and functionality of the media center that got hosed pretty bad when they released V8 to the MS/X.

TeslaTap.com | 27. September 2017

Yep the processor is not all that important, but it often requires new drivers and low-level software to work in a specific hardware platform (such as the Model 3). The infotainment system is run on a version of Linux, which should port quite easily to a different processor, along with much of the high-level code. It's the low level stuff that might require some additional software work. It's not earth shattering work, almost trivial in comparison with what is required for EAP.

I should point out for those new to all this, there are multiple processors in the car. Should the infotainment processor or Linux fail/crash (rare), the car will still continue to run, as drivability is controlled by a different, lower-level processor. In the Model S/X, you can even manually reboot the MCU while driving. The main screen does go black for 30 seconds or so, but the car continues to drive fine.

KP in NPT | 27. September 2017

From what I've read, the Model 3 already has the Intel processor and the screen is much more responsive than the S/X. So that's a good thing.