Forums

Energy density of battery's in Model 3

Energy density of battery's in Model 3

caveat, I know very little about batteries.
I was looking at an article on electrek (this one https://electrek.co/2017/10/26/tesla-model-3-range-charging-capacity-und... ) and they have an EPA document created by Tesla attached to the bottom of their article and on page 14 they have the line.

"Battery Specifc Energy, Wh/Kg 150"

Is this saying that Tesla has officially hit the 150 watt hour per kilogram everyone was making a big deal about a few years ago 'that wont happen till 2020'. I know that some Tesla executive said a year or two ago that they were 'well below 190'. am I right am I wrong? if I'm right this is freaking awesome news and bodes well for the Model 3 and Tesla.

andy.connor.e | 26. Oktober 2017

Model 3 utilizes the 2070 form factor cells. Model S&X use the 18650 form factor. The car batteries are just thousands of those battery cells, like what your laptop runs off. It is great news indeed.

dsvick | 26. Oktober 2017

I think that the 190 you're thinking about is the kWh cost of the battery packs. Here's an article that mentions that, as well as specific energy.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/02/tesla-panasonic-2170-battery-cell-highest...

DTsea | 26. Oktober 2017

Batteries. Not Battery's.

D.Lew | 26. Oktober 2017

Right...now I wish I could delete this thread. I mixed up and mashed the energy density and the price per kwh of the batteries.
Thanks guys.
Elon wants the wh/kg to be at like 300 -400 for electric jets...thats a ways off.

JAD | 26. Oktober 2017

You can delete if you are the original poster, look in the top left corner for edit.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 26. Oktober 2017

I think Tesla was below 150 Wh per kg way back in 2014... At least, I remember a reply to a query during a quarterly report that Elon gave back then. It was a kind of weird question, as the person who asked said he worked for a battery company, didn't want to give specifics himself, but asked for a level of detail he was not willing to put forth on his own projects.

ladson | 26. Oktober 2017

The 2011 Nissan Leaf cells have an energy density of 140 Wh/Kg; That was 7 years ago; I suspect Tesla's cells are much higher.

Frank99 | 26. Oktober 2017

Tesla's packs may be less, if you include the weight of the metal shell on all those cells. Using pouch cells helps with pack energy density in that way.

georgehawley.fl.us | 26. Oktober 2017

By my estimate the 100 kWh battery pack complete with housing, cooling system etc. is about 166 wh/kg.

Last year JB claimed that the 2170 would be have 10-15% more energy capacity per cc than the 18650s but I think it is more like 5%. My estimate for the Model 3 75 kWh pack is 167 wh/kg. I get that by guessing that the bacteria pack housing and other overhead is about 450 pounds vs. about 550 for the 100 kWh pack.

These are rough because of the lack of detail available but should be in the ballpark.

georgehawley.fl.us | 26. Oktober 2017

Battery pack not bacteria pack for goodness sake.

lph | 26. Oktober 2017

Organic cells!

janendan | 26. Oktober 2017

Is Tesla one of the 89 companies with a NDA testing UT Austin's sodium metal batteries?

andy.connor.e | 27. Oktober 2017

Now we're producing GMO lithium cells? Monsanto please.....

georgehawley.fl.us | 27. Oktober 2017

@lph: thanks for the laugh. Once many years ago we were to be graced with a visit from a Telephone company technophile Senior VP who was interested in knowing more about organic integrated circuits that could be grown in cultures like bacteria. That sent several engineers scurrying into the archives before Google existed. That was also before the technology existed as well. It was tough deciding who would give him the bad news.