Forums

Roadster 2.0 announced. Fastest 0-60, 1/4 ever, starting @ $200k

Roadster 2.0 announced. Fastest 0-60, 1/4 ever, starting @ $200k

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/16/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-unveils-a-surprise-n...

Founders' version is $250k, base unit starts at $200k.

If this thing is able to handle twisties it could humble some of even the best exotics on the track and for a tiny fraction of their cost.

dortor | 17. November 2017

don't get your panties in a bunch - handling isn't hte problem on the track - noting being able to complete more than 1 or 2 laps without becoming thermally limited is the problem…

I can run my Model S at thunderhill for about 3/4 of lap become it becomes thermally limited and slower than a Miata - where as my run my 911 GT3 for literally hours on end with no problems (other than cost of fuel/tires/brakes)…

long way to go here folks - but I'm hoping Elon knows this and feels they are in a position to overcome these limitations…

zxed | 17. November 2017

Went to the main site today to see if semi was there - noticed roadster... amazing., hope I never fit in it!

jjoseph | 17. November 2017

Nice, but way out of my price range will there be some sort of plan for a short term lease on the base? I know how I drive and one stupid day early in the morning on the way to work my license will say bye bye after a 4.2 second burst, at which time I might need to buy the EAP for my model 3 which is also on the assumption they’ll let you be carted around in your own car as long as you don’t touch the wheel.

Shock | 17. November 2017

"don't get your panties in a bunch"

Too late.

@jjoseph, I have the same issue. In fact, my penultimate car was given back early in part because I drove it so hard and fast I became increasingly concerned I was going to get an unbelievable moving violation. It's partly the irony of fast cars. By the time a lot of guys can afford them they are so shriveled up they never break the speed limit and all that power sits unused and never utilized. In reality even a 300 horsepower car is gobs more than any car on public roads can legally take advantage of. Still fun for times you don't think a cop is around, though.

Haggy | 17. November 2017

The bigger irony might be getting one while living in Silicon Valley and driving it on the freeway at 40 mph because of the extra speed I get with carpool lane access.

mleonard1 | 17. November 2017

How much is 10,000nm in ft lbs? I used a converter and got 7,376 ft lbs. Is that right?

daverileyak | 17. November 2017

Yes, the math is correct. Way, way more than it takes for the 1.9 sec acceleration. As in dragsters, tire grip is the limiting factor for faster acceleration. Software will keep the Roadster's tires in an optimal overspin range during hard acceleration.

I think there is a possibility that Elon misspoke when he quoted 10,000nm. Massive overkill.

Model_D | 17. November 2017

That torque figure was at the wheels. It include the torque multiplication of the gear reduction drive. A simple rule of thumb: an ICE car has about 9:1 ratio for first gear. So the torque is comparable to an 800 foot pound ICE car.

carlk | 17. November 2017

The car has top speed of 250 mph I just wonder if it still only have a single gearing.

mleonard1 | 17. November 2017

Thanks Model_D that makes sense. 800 ft lbs is impressive for such a small car.

vp09 | 17. November 2017

We're going to go for the base version. :-) Wife wants red.

eric.zucker | 01. Dezember 2017

I will have a hard time picking the color. Red is fabulous, but silver looks stunning too. I don't want it looking like a Ferrari. Not that people would be mistaken very long :-)...

Maybe time to offer more varied paint options.

carlk | 01. Dezember 2017

Either is nice but very different personality. Red is the Ferrari color. Sliver is the Porsche color. I've seen more dick in a red Ferrari than seen one in a silver Porsche. At least that's what my impression is. I know I will look like a nice fellow in either of course.

Tropopause | 01. Dezember 2017

Tesla's silently leave the competition in the dust. No ICE noises to irritate people.

joemar10 | 03. Dezember 2017

I'm not good enough at math to figure this out, or maybe just too lazy. Can someone on this forum, who math comes easier to, figure out how many feet it will take to get from 0 to 60 mph in 1.9 secs?

NKYTA | 03. Dezember 2017

It depends on your tires.

Unless I win the lottery, I’ll be renting the R2. :-/

carlk | 03. Dezember 2017

joemar10 Roughly 80 ft.

eric.zucker | 04. Dezember 2017

Carlk you’re pretty close. 0-60 in 1.9 is 1.43G, and that gives 83.07 feet travelled.

Assuming a constant acceleration.

joemar10 | 04. Dezember 2017

@carlk & @eric.zucker Thanks for the replies. Whoa!!! That puts it into perspective. That's around 5 Model X lengths.

carlk | 04. Dezember 2017

To put it into perspective that length is less than the distance between two side fences in my back yard.

joemar10 | 04. Dezember 2017

Mine too. I could almost do it in my driveway, if I didn't have to stop for the street. My garage is side loading, and the driveway goes up the side of my lot.

Supraman | 04. Dezember 2017

I believe the UK prices are £152,000 for the base model and £189,000 for the founders series. Based on past experience, is it likely that these figures include VAT?

If they don't, then the actual prices will be £182,400 and £226,800 respectively.

eric.zucker | 05. Dezember 2017

@supraman: Move to Switzerland, our VAT is only 8%. And as a fringe benefit you’ll be driving on the proper side of the road.

Jokes aside, when I bought my ModelX the price was with VAT included.

Supraman | 05. Dezember 2017

Thanks for taking the time to reply Eric! I'll consider that move to Switzerland! I do like it there.

That's (potentially) good news about the VAT maybe being included. I've also reached out to Tesla in the hope of getting a definitive answer. I'll post any information I receive.

carlk | 05. Dezember 2017

I'm not familiar with how VAT works but the $200,000 price in the US does not include any sales tax.

eric.zucker | 05. Dezember 2017

Swiss law requires published prices to be inclusive of taxes.

Other states do differently.

WattsThatGrin | 06. Dezember 2017

And actually as of January 1st 2018 VAT will drop to 7.7% here...