Forums

Tesla Semi to be listed at only around $180,000

Tesla Semi to be listed at only around $180,000

achilles992000 | 22. November 2017

wow, that is an amazing price. the savings will be substantial for shipping companies to go electric.

average cost of diesel per gallon is $2.80 today. semi-trucks get about 6.5 miles per gallon and trucks do about 45,000 miles a year. so diesel costs will be close to $20,000 a year.

The Tesla semi would be about $7200 at 10 cents a kW for 45,000 miles a year. Elon is saying 7 cents a kW is possible.

over 15 years lifespan of a truck, the Tesla semi would save $195,000 in fuel costs.

oil change is $600 a year on semis. so an additional. $9k for oil changes for 15 years.

maintenance savings would be substantial too.

Chunky Jr. | 23. November 2017

reservation price has gone from $5K to $20K

Ross1 | 23. November 2017

Refundable?

carlk | 23. November 2017

"reservation price has gone from $5K to $20K"

Looks the response is better than Tesla has anticipated. Can we say it is about half as popular as the supercar Roadster now?

Mike83 | 23. November 2017

I am thinking of starting a trucking company with some drivers I know. The market is bigger than I had thought about. Elon's vision is remarkable.

Mike Hire me please.

Dramsey | 23. November 2017

@achilles992000,

"The Tesla semi would be about $7200 at 10 cents a kW..."

Since we know neither the size of the battery pack nor the truck's power consumption in terms of wH/mile, how can you figure operating costs?

Mike83 | 23. November 2017

Maybe I will start training to get the Class C license.

Using the estimated 1MWh size for the 500 mile battery and 600 kWh for 300 mile battery it's $30K per 400 kWh difference or $75 per kWh. This is the first time we see an indication of under $100 kWh battery cost.

Uncle Paul | 23. November 2017

How does the Tesla truck compare to diesel trucks in weight.

A lighter truck can carry more cargo.

El Mirio | 23. November 2017

I think European companies would jump on this truck right away and replace their whole fleet, Diesel can cost up to USD 5.90 per gallon.

Additionally deploying the Megachargers would not be as costly as distances are smaller so fewer would be needed.

If Tesla wants volume orders they should open reservation to European market and rack in deposits like its going out of fashion.

Daimler Freightliner super truck does average 12 miles per gallon. (optimistically its likely less)

Basel to Hamburg 500 miles = USD 250.00 per trip in fuel

Charging Truck at megacharger should come out to cost around USD 70.00 for a full charge (1000 kwh * $0.07/kwh), if one does 260 trips per year, times 180.00 savings per trip total annualized savings USD 46'800.00. Truck is paid for with savings alone within 4 years.

That is a very conservative estimate, likely diesel consumption is much higher due to idle times in traffic and at ports, also not factored in any maintenance savings.

Am i missing something, or is this value proposition just freaking crazy?

TeslaTap.com | 23. November 2017

I'd think the diesel semi companies must be freaking out. You could even have orders for the existing semi makers dry up in the next few years as purchases see low long term value in old diesel tech.

That extreme value proposition might not last very long, European governments will have to find a way to tax electric vehicles since revenue form fuel taxes will dry up quickly.

I kind of think they will tax EVs and increase gas taxes at the same time to keep the parity about the same. Or else it would look like promoting ICE cars and suppressing EVs.

carlgo2 | 23. November 2017

Hope Tesla gets going on Semi production, striking while the iron is hot. It will be interesting if there is frantic new construction at the Gigafactory.

rgrant | 23. November 2017

@El Mirio, European trucks don’t have the snout because the roads are too tight so this design is a non-starter Imho. I imagine there will be a different design for the euro-market (if they address it at all...?)

@rgrant, good point. also shifting front axle backwards helps with axle weight distribution. However I would be surprised if Tesla comes out with a flat snout option due to aerodynamics, maybe they could have dynamic axle steering on the trailer to compensate for long snout instead.

achilles992000 | 23. November 2017

Drramsey, i went with 800kw/hr battery pack for my estimate since there are 8 pin holes in the port. i went with Cleartechnica's guess that these are for eight separate 100 kw/hr battery packs.

Bloomberg estimated that an electric truck driving 60,000 miles per year can save $4,000 in maintenance and $14,000 in fuel when paying 11 cents per kilowatt — four cents more than Musk promised. I'm not sure what size battery pack they used. but savings will be substantial.

zanegler | 24. November 2017

I am very excited for our shared future. I am discouraged by the fervor of the haters. TechCrunch had a very balanced article on the semi, with one typo where they listed both versions having the 150K price. Then I made the mistake of reading the comments. Pure vile and uninformed rhetoric.

I am confident that this ‘beast’ is so cost-effective and badass that it will crush all doubts. I am also confident the haters will continue to hate.

jordanrichard | 24. November 2017

Clearly there is more about known about the semi than what was mentioned at the reveal, to have this many companies willing to put down deposits. We as “john q public” are relatively easy to impress, but trucking/retail companies look at the logistics and bottom dollar. So I am certain that a lot of real specs were presented to those retail/trucking companies, that wasn’t part of the reveal.

Mike83 | 24. November 2017

California is making tougher emission standards for diesel esp. after the VW/Porsche cheating. EV trucks have a big advantage over the costs to make diesel cleaner and maintain the emission controls and smog checks. Should also save time besides money.

Tropopause | 24. November 2017

Thoughts on where the Semi will be built?

Mike83 | 24. November 2017

Fremont has robotics and so does the GF1 in Nevada and then there is Buffalo. Lots of expansion area in Sparks so I don't know but I believe Tesla will be adding more jobs. I wonder if anyone has looked at the job growth just for Tesla. I believe they now have 33,000 employees. American jobs paying well in a growth industry is a good thing.

carlk | 24. November 2017

GF1 sounds like a more logical place since there are more room to expand there.

rgrant | 24. November 2017

I don’t believe it will be GF1 - that place is being tuned for battery production (the drive unit production line is a surprise but I think that was in response to the massive demand for the Model 3).

I think there will be a new factory (perhaps buying some existing unused facility?) to build this, but if they have to build new I think it will be in Nevada, probably near the Gigafactory.

carlk | 24. November 2017

It can be a new factility and still be built at GF1. Anywhere else would take too long for 19' ~ 20' production.

rgrant | 24. November 2017

@carlk - it’s going to be interested to see how they do it.

jordanrichard | 25. November 2017

Hmmm GF1. Well Elon/Tesla has been all along talking about how big it will ultimately be and we all have been assuming that only batteries will be built there. If you think about it, the Gigafactory is nowhere its full size yet it is already able to build packs for the Model 3. So what will the remaining space be used for. Yes, more battery/battery pack production, but they don’t need that much space just to produce batteries/packs.

El Mirio | 25. November 2017

Payload is confirmed to be same as diesel trucks!

https://electrek.co/2017/11/25/tesla-semi-electric-truck-customer-cargo-...

rgrant | 25. November 2017

@El Mirio - well now I have to retract my snout argument :) While the Tesla truck is not quite as short as a typical European truck, it’s definitely shorter than a typical US truck. I’m sure the Tesla truck designers have accounted for Euro-requirements. A truly global truck then...

Mike83 | 25. November 2017

Tesla has a hundred trucks which they will replace for the 250 mile trip from Fremont to Sparks. Using the 3 convoy the costs go to $0.85/mile. My wife thought they would do this and she was right.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/25/tesla-semi-electric-truck-customer-cargo-...

Ross1 | 26. November 2017

Tesla would accelerate the world to electric trucks quicker if they merely provided the drivetrains.
Anything else is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Let existing coach builders do the hard yards, and loyalty and sales also better.

Mike83 | 26. November 2017

I think Tesla wants to keep quality control to it's high standards and in house is not only safer but saves money. They are busy enough making batteries, superchargers, cars, solar panels and roofs, installing Utility size power-plants like in Hawaii and Australia and secret stuff, With 33,000 employees and expanding they are accomplishing their goals catching the competition asleep. I think delivering the Roadster in the Tesla Truck would be cool. Punch the Clones.

johnse | 26. November 2017

@Ross1

Cummins is working on drive trains as that is their business model. Tesla is working to disrupt the industry, not just play supplier in it.

The Tesla Semi is so much more than just the electric drivetrain. The aerodynamic improvements are a large part of making this a viable system. Existing truck makers can’t even be bothered to put side-skirts on the trailers, much less improve the airflow between the cab and trailer beyond the very basics.

If Tesla left this to the existing coach builders, this initiative would fail. By doing the whole thing, they can prove it works and is better than diesel. Other truck makers will be forced to also convert. Perhaps at that time, Tesla can also supply drive trains, but they can’t start that way.

sosmerc | 26. November 2017

The Tesla truck may truly be a "game changer" in the trucking industry. This could be even more significant for the company than the Model 3. I don't see where they have the capacity to pull this off in a timely fashion, but I sure hope they have a plan. Tesla trucks hauling Tesla cars and parts would seem to be a logical beginning to showcase the product.

Madatgascar | 26. November 2017

At that price point, I have to think Tesla would be selling the trucks at a long term loss, possibly to effect the biggest change in carbon - and planning to make up for it in highly profitable roadsters and high volumes on S, 3 and X. The guaranteed cost of electricity on mega chargers is also obviously subsidized.

Ross1 | 26. November 2017

Incidentally, I have a bit of history building trucks, cabs and trailers. I know some of what is involved.

melon | 26. November 2017
NKYTA | 27. November 2017

Flagged.

Tesla-David | 27. November 2017

Fagged!

Mike83 | 28. November 2017

More Companies ordering Tesla Semis. DHL along with Ryder. Production in 2019.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/28/tesla-semi-electric-truck-orders-delivery...

vpoz | 28. November 2017

Benefits may not be a totally clear as would appear, especially in Europe.
Talking to trucking guys, truck fuel isn’t necessarily diesel, there are trucks running on cheap LPG, or LNG shipped to the rest of Europe in big container tanks, on cheap container carriers from Russia.
Also trucking companies are aiming to keep their trucks on the road as close to 24/7 as possible to maximise return on investment, so minimising opportunity for charging.
The trailers are pre-loaded at pickup so no charging time here.
Incidentally the trailers in Europe have side bars to prevent horrible car going under trailer deaths.

TeslaTap.com | 28. November 2017

@vpoz - Good info. Not sure why US hasn't adopted the side bars. Perhaps our trucking industry has resisted it.

Mike83 | 28. November 2017

Many countries going fossil fuel free so switching to electric may be a law. $1.5/mile in the US and in the EU it must be higher which makes EV Semis super competitive anyway. This will drive fossil fuel trucks out of business economically and great for limiting Global Warming.

Al1 | 28. November 2017

vpoz, I strongly recommend presentation made by Tesla VP in Europe

electrek.co 2017 11 26 tesla semi vp trucks electricpresentation

Al1 | 28. November 2017

Jim Monkmeyer, DHL’s president of transportation in North America said the following when asked about timeline

Something like this that’s new and is as complex as the Semi, I don’t know if we can count on specific dates. We understand the challenges that they are facing. This is the future and we want to be in on the ground floor.

Al1 | 28. November 2017

Tesla doesn't have secret sauce, right Bob Lutz?

You can always count on GM. Especially on GM's ignition switches.

achilles992000 | 28. November 2017

how do the trucks get charged? so far there are 0 mega chargers.

El Mirio | 29. November 2017

@achilles i would bet there are at least two. Gigafactory to Freemont seems to be a route they will be relying on to do further testing and development.

Tesla will build the chargers as needed, that is why fleet operators are jumping on board early, likely tesla made commitment to build out specific routs for them.

Also did you notice that large grocery stores operate their own gas stations today? So what would prevent them to operate their own chargers in the future saving tons of money?

Seems like we will go thru the same questions raised during Model S launch, Tesla demonstrated they have the answers and will to establish what is needed, so unlikely they won't do it for the Semi.

Pages