Forums

Test Drive Model 3

Test Drive Model 3

I have had a reservation for a Model 3 since April 2016 and my estimated delivery date is April-June 2018. And want to know if this is moving target as I am driving an 11 year old hybrid and can't wait much longer. I want to test-drive one before I order. I have been to the Tesla dealerships in Atlanta and they have no idea when one will be available to test drive. Any advice or information on where I could test drive one, even out of Atlanta is appreciated. Thank you.

SamO | 30. Dezember 2017

Moving target/best guess.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships.

Tesla drives "coming soon" but tax credits . . . not so much.

Haggy | 01. Januar 2018

Moving target, yes, but most likely that's earlier than would have been projected when you put down the deposit. It wasn't expected to hit production until the end of 2017 so you should have reasonably expected the ramp up to start now, for delivery to employees over the next three months, and then maybe if Tesla stayed on schedule, current owners would get it. It sounds as if you will get it when I originally thought I would get mine. I already have mine, which is good news for you because it means they are moving faster than you should have expected.

As far as test drives, my brother in law has a reservation and didn't see any way of getting a test drive any time soon. Since I needed a ride to the delivery center, I had him give me one, and I let him test drive the car right after I picked it up. It seemed like a fair trade.

Beagle | 02. Januar 2018

Haggy, I agree, it was a 2X good deal, but I haven't seen comments from you or your brother-in-law. FWIW, my personal question is about ride quality. And to go a bit further, ride quality info should include wheel size and tire pressure. (I just read today that tire pressure is supposed to be 60psi. That is rock hard. It may increase mileage, but is unnecessarily hard, and could well be the cause of the "stiff ride" quotes we read.)

Haggy | 02. Januar 2018

Tire pressure is supposed to be at 45, but when I picked up the car it was closet to 40. I like the ride and so did two brothers-in-law who have driven my car so far. I have the standard aero wheels. I haven't tried the larger ones. I don't need the ride to be more sporty. Increasing to recommended pressure did make the ride stiffer as you might expect.

I think it's fair to call the ride stiff but not rough. I'm not really sure how to categorize it objectively. It depends on what you are looking for in the ride.

randy.wilkey | 03. Januar 2018

Probably no test drives until early reservation orders are fulfilled. You might be able to find an owner in your area who will offer. I believe there is an owner making a cross country trip that is offering drives.

Ride quality is good, not as smooth as Model S, definitely firmer with the 19" wheels than my Model S with 21" wheels. Tire pressure on mine from factory is around 42psi.

SpeedyEddy | 03. Januar 2018

Test drives in the Netherlands in 2 months (reservation-holders first) . Origin: Tesla employee

Beagle | 03. Januar 2018

Haggy,
Thanks, you have given us two good points of information plus the fact that you have 19" wheels. #1 is that factory spec. is 45#, and that 42# did not set off the TPM sensor. That means we may be able to set the pressures at whatever pressure we find right - as long as all four tires are equal. We may even be able to drop the pressures to about 10psi and use the car as a dune buggy.

tripplett | 03. Januar 2018

I found out later in life the following fact: you should set your cars tire pressure to the value found in the driver’s door jam, not the value on the tires themselves.

Beagle | 04. Januar 2018

Tripplett,
I generally agree with your statement, and I have a car in my garage that shipped with three different brands of tires; the owners manual lists different pressures for all three, and the differences are not inconsequential. Now that none of those models of tire is available, what do I do? ;)