Forums

Can external mirrors be retracted when entering tight space?

Can external mirrors be retracted when entering tight space?

I know that the external mirrors automatically retract when turning off the engine or locking the car (not sure which). But my question is whether they can be retracted with engine running when entering a tight garage.

Madatgascar | 01. Januar 2018

Yes, from the controls menu.

noleaf4me | 02. Januar 2018

Engine running? You do know the car is electric - right?

randy.wilkey | 03. Januar 2018

Yes, There is a UI (display) option for that Press the car icon then there is an option to fold (unfold) the mirrors.

Frank99 | 03. Januar 2018

>>> Engine running? You do know the car is electric - right?
He enters the garage at full speed. The next question will be about stopping distance. ;)

Yodrak. | 03. Januar 2018

"turning off the engine"
A Tesla does not have an engine.

"He enters the garage at full speed. The next question will be about stopping distance. ;)"
I've often wondered, when reading the occassional item about a Tesla accelerating uncontrollably as they approach or enter their garage, if the real issue isn't that the driver just doesn't appreciate how fast an EV accelerates and the sort distance they are facing in the circumstance. That is to say, you aren't driving an ICEV - take it easy.

Frank99 | 03. Januar 2018

>>> accelerating uncontrollably
People have been doing this since cars were created, and blaming it on the cars. There are plenty of stories of unintended acceleration (google that) stretching back to the 70's or further. EV cars make news because, well, everything an EV car does these days makes news.
One of the things that drastically reduced the occurrence was requiring the driver to press on the brake before being able to shift out of park. It assured that the driver had correctly placed their foot before letting them go anywhere.

phil | 03. Januar 2018

randy.wilkey | January 3, 2018 "Yes, There is a UI (display) option for that Press the car icon then there is an option to fold (unfold) the mirrors."

I believe this is true only if you buy the $5k Premium option. With the standard Model 3, the mirror folding is manual only.

andy.connor.e | 04. Januar 2018

Those that drive their Teslas into walls are actually autopilot malfunctions. At least until Tesla proves you hit the gas instead of the break.

jordanrichard | 04. Januar 2018

Babunder, You can fold the mirrors in whenever you want, even while driving, up to 30 MPH, at which point they will automatically unfold.

Also don’t take the correction of your terminology (engine running), personally. I am sure you said that out of habit, like calling the accelerator a gas pedal.

andy.connor.e | 04. Januar 2018

@jordan

It will take until the next generation of people before gas pedal stops being used.

jefjes | 04. Januar 2018

Calling the pedal an accelerator pedal instead of gas pedal is the correct terminology but seems so long and technical. Why not just the "go pedal" as opposed to the "stop pedal"? Especially since EVs with high levels of regen may not use the "brake pedal" except to emergency stop or come to a complete stop.