Forums

License plate questions

License plate questions

Does model 3 come with the silver license plate holder? Tesla sells one. Just wondering if I should buy one or the car comes with one. Also, recently saw a youtube video where the sales associate was saying one could make an appointment after delivery to have the front license plate put on by Tesla.

Please advise those of you who already have your car.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.r.freedman | 05. März 2018

The front license plate holder is black but you can’t really see any of It from the front. It’s frameless. I attached mine myself. I used a makeshift plumbob taping the string to the frunk logo. Bracket uses peel and stick tape.

I bought chrome frames at pep boys for 11 bucks each.

TheOx | 06. März 2018

I received one from Tesla, Devon, PA, upon delivery. Only one license plate required in PA.

tom8959 | 06. März 2018

In my mind, a license plate does not merit framing. They're pretty much the least attractive thing on the exterior of a car - why draw more attention to it with a shiny frame?

stevenmaifert | 06. März 2018

We asked to have the front license plate holder put on by the service center prior to delivery. Don't know if it is standard or they were just being nice to us, but the frame is the same silver/chrome as they used on the rear license plate which is the one sold in the online store: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1trdz2auFGqtAPoYOfWWTQPkGe8OzGQx6

Bri | 06. März 2018

+1 tom8959

chris.hansen | 06. März 2018

@stevenmaifert How was it mounted? Did they drill holes?

billlake2000 | 06. März 2018

oh, yeah @stevenmaifert, how'd they do it? and, ya got any pics? or at least, what's yer opinion of how it looks?
thanks

JuJo0 | 06. März 2018

The front license plate more than twice saved my car from love taps by cars backing into me when parallel parked in front of me. Same with my back plate for those behind me. :)

TranzNDance | 06. März 2018

@JuJo0 +1, protecting from "love taps" is my reasoning for keeping the front license plate/frame.

Although the license plate is one of the least attractive things (CA HOV stickers are pretty bad, too), having no frame looks cheap to me. At least the Model S frame is curved so it looks less bad.

TabascoGuy | 06. März 2018

Yes frame is not so attractive but it does help keep the plate from getting all twisted up which looks even worse.

Yodrak. | 06. März 2018

"The front license plate more than twice saved my car from love taps by cars backing into me when parallel parked in front of me."

You just changed my mind about whether or not to mount the front plate.

TabascoGuy | 06. März 2018

Yes the frame...

Tesla2018 | 06. März 2018

But the increased drag from the plate will cause your range to drop by 100 ft for every 10000 miles driven.