Forums

Why does it take over 4 months to get your car out of a body shop

Why does it take over 4 months to get your car out of a body shop

I was involved in a freeway pileup on Dec 26th 2017 and had a major damage to the front. My car is still in the body shop and waiting for couple of parts from Tesla. According to the body shop the main part we are now waiting for was shipped wrong from Tesla. The updated date to get the parts is May 2nd. I have never been thru such a nightmare where I don't even know where to turn. Very frustrating experience not to mentioned I am without a car for over 4 months and keep making payments, and still no end in sight. I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions to get expedite this process. I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.

tes-s | 17. April 2018

What did Tesla say?

I've been in three crashes with repair costs ranging from $1000 to $16,000. Longest I was without my car was 10 days. Body shop had no trouble getting parts from Tesla.

vp09 | 17. April 2018

My wife ran her new 2016 S90D into a curb and broke off the front wheel not too long after I bought it for her. We were at Class Auto in Signal Hill (Long Beach) for FOUR MONTHS AND ONE WEEK.

SbMD | 17. April 2018

Contact Tesla to have them work directly with your body shop:
https://www.tesla.com/support/body-shop-support

avesraggiana | 17. April 2018

Ten days ago, my dad crashed my mum's Model X100D into a house wall, leaving $11,000 worth of house repairs and incurring another $4,000 in replacement cost for appliances.

We've been warned by USAA and our Tesla approved local Auto Body Shop that if the $75,000, and counting, in repair costs doesn't result in my mum's car getting totalled, and the car is repaired instead, we will be looking at a wait of SIX months.

The problem, Tesla replacement parts and a severe shortage thereof.

Tesla Body Shop Support can be very helpful. They were helpful to us six months ago when we were rear-ended in my dad's Model S75D. They helped fix another Tesla department's screw up, when the Parts Department failed to include a shipping manifest in a large crate of replacement parts that they had shipped to our body shop.

There were several cars waiting for replacement parts but none could be worked on until Tesla Parts sent a manifest to determine which shipped parts belonged to which wrecked car waiting to be repaired.

In my dad's case, our Tesla incurred another five days of delay, simply because through no fault of their own, our body shop didn't that the parts they were waiting for were already with them. It took the intervention of Tesla Body Shop Support to get things moving again.

I would encourage you to make contact with them so that your case may be expedited, where possible.

TeslaTap.com | 18. April 2018

This Tesla accident repair guide may also help to understand the entire repair process: https://teslatap.com/articles/tesla-accident-repair-guide/

muk.patel | 18. April 2018

@tes-s, I just got involved in tracking these parts. I called them today and waiting to hear back with the update. I was already aware of the long repair time for the very start. Initially I was given March 30th completion date but then they received a wrong dash board which was sent back. I hope Tesla can help with the parts. I just hope that my car doesn't spend more time in a repair shop than it did in my own garage. The car was only 9 months old when I got into an accident.

SilverSp33d3r | 18. April 2018

I was rear ended Jan 24th in my model sand I got my car back just last week officially. Approx 3 months for about 16k in damages.

Tropopause | 18. April 2018

10 days for my sister’s X repair.

tes-s | 18. April 2018

The biggest variable in repair times seems to be the body shop. They all get parts from the same Tesla parts department - some seem to be able to get the parts faster than others.

barrykmd | 18. April 2018

Incompetent management at Tesla, from bottom to top.

TeslaTap.com | 18. April 2018

Yep, blame Tesla for the body shop being busy, insurance adjuster taking their time and a host of other common delays in the process that Tesla has nothing to do with. Best to stay with a known quantity like GM - you know they have top quality management.

Bill_75D | 18. April 2018

Dammit, Barry, you know it's never Tesla's fault.

barrykmd | 18. April 2018

Bill - I know. just ask teslatap or carlk. Following teslatap's premise, even if the problem isn't a lack of parts, then it's Tesla's poorly implemented body shop program. Either they chose the wrong shops or not enough of them. Still a management issue.

bill | 18. April 2018

I got in a accident on November 3 2017. about $15,000 in damage. Center pillar between front and back driver side doors and both doors needed to be replaced and pano roof. Car was drivable. Worse part was getting a time slot in the only repair shop in Vancouver BC Canada that could fix the car. Parts were ordered mid January, and car went into shop Feb 5 and it was done 2.5 weeks later. I probably could have gotten it after 2 weeks if there had not been a miscommunication inside the shop. They originally estimated it would be in the shop 2 months.

I think the things that effect repair time:

Availability of repair shops that can fix Teslas
Experience the shop has with repairing Telsas
How old your car is. I suspect older cars whose parts are no longer used in current manufacturing will take longer.

I think the largest issue is that it takes a lot of training to get Tesla certified to do repairs and I think there are a lot of shops that have not done that many repairs. I think my success was due to having a car that was less then a year old and I happened to have a shop available that had a lot of experience with fixing Tesla's,

In the US Service King, a nation wide repair company got certified by Tesla but they are shipping cars around to get them repaired.

All the above is my opinion and not necessarily based on hard facts just on my experience and reading the forums about different peoples experiences

NKYTA | 18. April 2018

@barrykmd, my first body shop repair was done after our first long road trip to repair rock chips (from road/truck gravel) on the front lower “bumper” when there were maybe 20k Model esses on the road. Wait time was 2 days to get in, 2 days for the fix.

When I hit the too sturdy wooden box kicked up by the Bimmer in front of me on the 101 the second time and bumper+Frunk needed replacement it was two weeks to get in and over a week for the repair.

These were both done at Chilton, less than 20 miles from Fremont. Arguably the first “certified” body shop by TM.

Certainly getting a new hood took time through TM on the latter incident...must have been over 150k cars on the road as the X was in production. Again, arguably most in the Bay Area.

The anecdote from the guy at Chilton, was that too many “old folks”, were mistaking the Go with the brake pedal and hitting stuff. Hence more than a week.

So, I blame the retirees! ;-p

NKYTA | 18. April 2018

The point being, is that I would phrase “Incompetent management at Tesla, from bottom to top.” instead as “Growing pains”, for me, back then.

It sounds like they are trying to get better, but I would agree with Model 3 rollout at 6k per week (soon, natch) they need to step it up.

Move to NorCal and take up a second practice, we are all killing our eyes staring at screens all day. ;-)

Are you sure your skiing googles aren’t cloudy? Again, ;-)