Forums

Road trip: Travelling 220 miles between supercharges in a Model X? Risky?

Road trip: Travelling 220 miles between supercharges in a Model X? Risky?

I plan to make a lot of trips from Pittsburgh to Toronto. The longest stretch between chargers is about ~220 miles. I haven't configured yet but was pretty sure I'd get the 90D.

Is that a risky trip? Do I have to make sure I drive at a very steady pace?

Tâm | 21. Dezember 2015

@c.wilmer

It is wise to read EPA spec with a grain of salt.

I don't have an X now, but with my S' experience, I doubt you can make it to your next stop at 220 miles away if you drive at 80 mph in summer.

You need to charge your Model X to 100% and slow down, may be 55 mph or more.

Using A/C in summer does reduce range but not as significant as battery pack heater in winter.

In subzero winter, your battery pack eats up your miles drastically as it keeps itself warm automatically (whether you are warm or freezing inside the cabin), so I doubt your Model X can make that distance with a normal speed of 65 mph.

c.wilmer | 21. Dezember 2015

Good to know. So it sounds like I need to find at least one charging station in-between somewhere.

jjs | 21. Dezember 2015

I have taken a lot of long distance trips in my S.

Simple rule of thumb is to have 50 more miles on your rated range than actual miles to travel. Except in extreme weather conditions or very hilly that will get you where you need to go without too much worry about speed.

That said I have, many times driven 225-235 on a single charge. Decent weather, above 60 and moderate speed.

So 220 is very doable, but if traffic really requires you to go 70-75mph, or you have hilly, or cold, or windy conditions you will have difficulty.

Hope this helps.

ir | 22. Dezember 2015

If you're gonna run out of juice, it will be like 10 miles short of your destination in a winter storm.

I would scope out some CHAdeMO or at least j1772 chargers along the way. You don't need to charge there for long, just enough to fill the gap.

gordonbremer | 22. Dezember 2015

Read this: https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/driving-range-model-s-family.

The Model X range estimates may be ~5% less.

Note that speed makes quite a difference,

gordonbremer | 22. Dezember 2015

Here is another great site: http://supercharge.info/.

You can set driving range and go from there. It shows that a 200 miles range will get you comfortably to Buffalo where there is a Supercharger. Then, there is a Supercharger in Toronto.

Rajkrishnan9 | 23. Dezember 2015

My s exp says as pointed above drive with tacc at about 60-65
Feel it manages better than manual
In my exp Heater np
I feel its the speed variations that kills