Forums

Undercarriage Composite Tray Ripped

Undercarriage Composite Tray Ripped

Hey Fellow Tesla Peeps,

Has anyone had problems with the undercarriage composite trays? From what I know there are two of them. One located in the front between the wheels and one in the back between the wheels. My back composite tray started to rip last week as seen in the photos. I took it in to Tesla and they can replace it for roughly $250. Not covered by warranty b/c the service person claimed it was due to natural driving issues. Normal wear and tear if you will. Feels bad man. At the service center I didn't make a stink about it and I went ahead and made an appointment to replace it this coming Saturday. But as I thought about it over the weekend I started to feel that this is a bit ridiculous. My Model 3 isn't even 3 months old; I took delivery on June 6th. I've been driving the car for 2 months and 14 or so days with about 3,800 miles. I noticed this when the car was around 3,500 miles. (I did a decent amount of driving this weekend and past week) My driving isn't anything crazy that would warrant composite trays to rip. Majority of my daily commute is highway. I live in a very suburban area (NJ resident here) so the roads are all paved; its not like I'm driving on rocky rough roads. Grant it there are potholes but no way is my Model 3 undercarriage scrapping the road. There would be more evidence of that besides the composite tray. I didn't notice any other damage to the underneath of my car when I was inspecting it with the service person at Tesla. I honestly do feel like I got a weak or bad piece but I have no way of proving that. The 3 imgur links are pictures of the ripping composite tray, check it out yourself. It really does suck that my first problem with my car happened within 3 months of receiving the car and its on me. I honestly wouldn't care if it was covered. Oh and I suppose I should state the hanging piece does drag against the road from time to time. The noise it creates is how I noticed this ripped in the first place.

So what I want to hear from you guys is the follow.

-Has anyone else had a problem with the undercarriage composite trays?
-Should I call up Tesla and claim I shouldn't be responsible for this?
-What is the function of this piece? Is it for protection? Aerodynamics?

Thanks for your feedback peeps!
Ethan

https://imgur.com/KEgZIuD
https://imgur.com/jYp6RXd
https://imgur.com/cmPhIIy

PS - This really doesn't have to do with the issue but another aspect of this issue that put a sour taste in my mouth is that my local service center(Paramus, NJ) is booked until August 30th. I accepted an appointment with the Brooklyn NY service center b/c I didn't want this to get worse as I waited for August 30th to come around. Not being a car guy I fear the damage that could have been caused. For anyone one in the area you know how much of a pain going into NYC can be, especially with a car. $15 dollar toll plus all dead stop NYC traffic. Oof, it certainly is a big pain.

jcjoseph | 27. November 2018

I’ve got moisture in my undercarriage tray. I took it in and after a brief look, Tesla said it wasn’t the tray but perhaps a bad seal. I’m taking it in again in two weeks. I’m curious if this is covered under warranty or it’san Owner expense.

dmerki | 27. November 2018

The rear does not drain well and can hold water. I drilled two small holes on both sides and have not had the water retention issue since. I assume if enough water got in, the added weight in the weakest area would rip it.

rkalbiarEV | 27. November 2018

‘Several’ folks have reported this. This is certainly an issue. It does not need thousands of reports to be an issue. ‘Several’ is enough. In fact many folks probably don’t even know if it is damaged. Could be you! There was a guy on youtube showing the bottom of his car, since it was on the lift, and that is how he discovered the damage.

Should Tesla replace all of them, no. Should Tesla consider an update and better design/material and install as needed and also prevent issues on cars rolling of the line now... absolutely.

‘Several’ folks have reported this. This is certainly an issue. It does not need thousands of reports to be an issue. ‘Several’ is enough. In fact many folks probably don’t even know if it is damaged. Could be you! There was a guy on youtube showing the bottom of his car, since it was on the lift, and that is how he discovered the damage.

Should Tesla replace all of them, no. Should Tesla consider an update and better design/material and install as needed and also prevent issues on cars rolling of the line now... absolutely.

Magic 8 Ball | 27. November 2018

@rkalbiarEV How many reports does it need to be an issue? I have only read maybe 20 different reports and give credence to about half of those.

@Magic. I have only heard of two rear bumpers falling off. That is an issue. Can’t quantify everything and it’s level of importance or being an issue.
They should improve it.

I acually had one on my RWD replaced because it was ‘warped’ or ‘wavy’ looking. They did so no questions asked and no fuss. That is great but it is still silly to not acknowledge it as in issue and something they can at least fix ifor production/assembly line right now.

Magic 8 Ball | 27. November 2018

@rkalbiarEV Why are you moving the goalposts? We are talking undercarriage "fabric" and people driving in conditions and ways that cause damage to them. It may be a design issue but I take a few anecdotes on the WWW to run to the design team with a sky is falling scenario. People scrape the the bottoms and drive through big puddles and damage all new cars on occasion. Show me some real data, not stories, and you may have something.

Rear bumpers falling off are very rare, and obviously not a design issue. People want to sensationalize some rare manufacturing Q/A issues into being design issues without any evidence the design is flawed.

Phase2Phase | 27. November 2018

Add me to the list... I hit a gator skin going about 60 mph. TeslaCam captured the mayhem. The car ahead of me braked at the last second and swerved hard onto the median AND still hit it, knocking it dead center of the lane... i chose to center punch it (I was approaching quickly and did not have adequate following distance). I think that was my best option rather than hitting it with a wheel. This happened on the 2 lane semi truck drag strip, AKA CA interstate-5 northbound, right before the Harris Ranch S.C. exit. I may post dash cam footage for the laughs.

efuseakay | 27. November 2018

The front tray on my Infiniti kept getting damaged/torn to the point where it would drag on the ground. So annoying. Luckily, an aftermarket company makes an aluminum version. It was like a skid plate on an off-road optioned pick-up truck. It was awesome. Maybe I should hit them up about putting something together for the Model 3. Sure, it would be heavier than the composite material, but it would be much stronger too.

First big snow of the season in Chicago. Driving around yesterday with partially plowed roads and I could hear some of the snow scraping the bottom. This will be something to keep an eye on.

TheSGC | 27. November 2018

I wonder if spraying a cloth rain x brand will help alleviate the issue for when it rains?

efuseakay | 27. November 2018

PPF for the undercarriage trays! *nyuk*

BostonPilot | 29. November 2018

As far as I know this hasn't happened yet on my M3P+, but I'm expecting problems this winter in the snow/slush. I agree that it seems like a design problem, given the number of people reporting issues. IANAL, but I believe there's a concept... something like "suitability"... i.e. the product needs to do what a reasonable person would expect. Driving in rain or snow shouldn't make parts of your car fall off...

I hope that they'll eventually consider a replacement made out of aluminum or other suitable material...

rxlawdude | 29. November 2018

@BostonPilot, the term is "merchantability" and it's indeed a legal theory where a product is marketed with a patently defective part. In this case, it's probably the design of the part (using wrong material, not having drainage for water accumulating on top, etc.).

eloder | 29. November 2018

Honestly, this is probably one of the first issues that's causing me to consider canceling my mid-range order. Something that's not entirely rigid and porous being on the undercarriage seems like a bad idea.

Magic 8 Ball | 29. November 2018

Over 100,000 on the road not complaining about material the industry has been using for years now. A handful of anecdotes on the internet and you want to cancel. I strongly encourage you to cancel if that is the basis of your decision making.

mote | 29. November 2018

Magic 8 Ball is clearly a Tesla employee, and a very defensive one at that. The degree of empathy he displays here is stunningly bad. He claims that all of our complaints are simply anecdotes, and implies (or states openly) that these incidents are driver errors and not a design defect on the basis of a lack of "data". Who else has the data but Tesla? We can only report our own experiences, and I imagine that this online forum just scratches the surface of Tesla drivers with similar issues. It's clear that in a rush to produce more vehicles, Tesla's quality control has gone out the window. That some service centers are choosing to replace this free of charge, while others are taking a "hard line" is obviously frustrating. It's only a matter of time before one of these damages undercarriages results in a significant event to a driver, and probably only then will there be any change in behavior.

reallynolie | 29. November 2018

Normally, cars have recessed bolts with big washers on the undercover so it can't be torn off. I'm going to put big washers on my underside covers and see if there is a way I can recess them.

bj | 30. November 2018

Wow, 29 people have reported this issue in a single thread, and @M8B wants to discredit “half of those” on no evidentiary basis whatsoever, and seems to be suggesting to the remainder that there is “nothing to see here, move along... and don’t drive in the rain” with condescension dripping from his/her keyboard.

Seriously @M8B - what you’re doing is harming the Tesla brand not helping it.

pranitmundhe769 | 30. November 2018

Search YouTube for "More Tesla Model 3 mods! Lowering the Model 3 with T-Sportline springs"

At time mark 7.5 you'll see the Model 3 on a lift with the owner pointing out a missing chunk of the fiberboard underside cover resulting from hitting [url=https://tutuapp.uno/][color=#333333]TutuApp[/color][/url] [url=https://luckypatcher.tips/][color=#333333]Lucky Patcher[/color][/url] [url=https://www.kodi.bio/][color=#333333]Kodi[/color][/url] something.

Probably a good idea for all Model 3 owners to periodically inspect under the car.

pranitmundhe769 | 30. November 2018

Search YouTube for "More Tesla Model 3 mods! Lowering the Model 3 with T-Sportline springs"

At time mark 7.5 you'll https://luckypatcher.tips/ see the Model 3 on a lift with the owner pointing out a missing chunk of the fiberboard underside cover resulting from hitting https://tutuapp.uno/ something.

Probably a good idea for all Model 3 owners to https://www.kodi.bio/ periodically inspect under the car.

Magic 8 Ball | 30. November 2018

Wow! a whole 28 People. Let's round it up to 100 and call them all credible. 100 out of 100,000 let see that is .1% (note the decimal). Yes that is one tenth of one percent. You need to bump that up by an order of magnitude to catch my attention. In the meantime I suggest people slow down in the rain and not drive through big puddles.

According to AAA Mid-Atlantic, potholes and poor roads cost drivers $6.4 billion dollars in repairs last year.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/sc-cons-0507-autoco...

mattsol | 30. November 2018

add me to the list, same exact thing happened after a rainstorm
mobile service supposed to come take care of it in a couple days

bj | 30. November 2018

@M8B - I’ve come to the unhappy conclusion that you enjoy a loose relationship with reality. Are you seriously suggesting that all 100,000+ Model 3 owners frequent this forum on a regular basis and that a full one-third of those that have this issue have posted about it here? Because that is the only way your flawed mathematics would work.

This issue appears to be a pretty simple case of a flawed design that unbelievably made it through to production and should be rectified. Simple as that, no need to go all victim blaming and hyper-defensive. Ridiculous.

@bj I am convinced you have lost touch with reality a very long time ago. You life and education is all based on internet anecdotes and believing hyperbole.

@bj I am convinced you have lost touch with reality a very long time ago. You life and education is all based on internet anecdotes and believing hyperbole.

BigJack | 01. Dezember 2018

While anecdotes do not equal data,
"Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is an enemy action."

Magic 8 Ball | 01. Dezember 2018

@BigJack

Your first sentence is correct (assuming you meant to use a period instead of comma).
The second sentence is also mostly correct but relies on "facts" not anecdotes.

garylevin | 02. Dezember 2018

Add me to the list. It's been raining here lately, so probably caused by driving over puddles. Seems like quite the design flaw.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Wd6GxOY

garibaldi | 02. Dezember 2018

Guys, we all misread it. It doesn't say designed in California. It says designed for California. :)
Sorry, had to make this joke.

rkalbiarEV | 02. Dezember 2018

List will grow over the winter... Bummer.
Fingers crossed, I can avoid this problem but it would nice to not have to even think about it... Like every other car I have ever owned.

bj | 02. Dezember 2018

Now up to 31. @M8B still sees nothing. Imagine if he worked in customer support:

Customer: “My undercarriage tray was ripped.”
@M8B: “No, it wasn’t.”
Customer: “Here’s a photo.”
@M8B: “That’s just a photo you got off the internet. It’s not your car”
Customer: “Yes it is my car... my VIN is xxxx”
@M8B: “That’s a VIN you got off the internet. It’s not your car”
Customer: “My name is Joe Blow and you can check that VIN belongs to me”
@M8B: “You’re just pretending to be Joe Blow. You could be anyone.”
Customer: “WTF? That’s my car and my undercarriage tray was ripped after driving in heavy rain”
@M8B: “I don’t believe you. You haven’t provided any proof.”
Customer: “How the heck do I prove it to you?”
@M8B: “You can’t. There is no proof that you can provide me that is impossible to be faked and that I would accept. Anyway, over 100,000+ happy Model 3 owners don’t have this issue, so that makes it OK, even if it did happen. Which it didn’t. You’re a FUDster and a troll. Go away”.

batmanasb | 02. Dezember 2018

@bj seriously dude, block him and be done with it. At this point most of us already have so it just looks like you are arguing with yourself.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-forum-enhancement-suite-tfes...

Magic 8 Ball | 02. Dezember 2018

People get flat tires, tires must be defective.

khoa0260 | 02. Dezember 2018

This happened to me during a storm in LA earlier this week. No I did not hit any potholes or notice anything during my drive to work until I heard that scraping sound and I've had the car 3 days. This looks like really bad build quality on the undercarriage. I hope they resolve this soon or at least offer a replacement

bj | 03. Dezember 2018

Tesla2018 | 03. Dezember 2018

Www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?_ga=1.203170257.1767629473.1491918395&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSb607wNLfiKvm1OeZS0FovUdLFG45NnnhrEfE-bqGj7qHgWyWDX9PYaAvWQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If enough people report it as a safety defect which would result in pieces falling off the car or bumpers falling off when driving in rain then they would issue a recall to fix the problem or they might do indepent research to see if its a design flaw.

Coastal Cruiser. | 03. Dezember 2018

Folks, there is an extension for the Chrome browser that allows you to block the comments from specific forum members of your choice. It's great for blocking self-righteous, self-deluded intolerants who are not Tesla employees, but rather have invested the bulk of the net worth in shares of Tesla stock, and are so scared the price will go down if a single problem is acknowledged with the Model 3 that they will try to marginalize and discredit anyone and everyone who reports a problem. The fact that the issues reported in the forums are likely the tip of the iceberg, as many to most don't bother to post, is meaningless to such a person.

Best advice is to simply not respond. For those who use Chrome the extension may make that easier. The extension used to be shared frequently in these pages, but many who did so have long left this forum due to the infighting (or maybe they are just out driving their car. ;>

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-forum-enhancement-suite-tfes...

Cheers

Magic 8 Ball | 03. Dezember 2018

For those worked up into hysterics over this (I.E. bj) why are you so worked up? If it proves a defect TESLA will make it right. It seems you want to push TESLA into acknowledging a defect base on some ambiguous standard of YOUR choosing. Why don't you wait patiently until TESLA (the holder of the real numbers) makes a determination? TESLA has a history of making things right so why are you being so distrustful on this?

Coastal Cruiser. | 03. Dezember 2018

Ha. I just proofread my post and there's a bit of rhyme that popped up:

Many to most
don't bother to post
why take a chance on receiving a roast?

Many to most
don't bother to post
you'll likely not hear of them
they're not ones to boast

Just a glance at the forum
they turn white as a ghost
try not to get hooked
so easy to get engrossed

if you do come here to socialize and share
be aware of those that would dare
to inpune your veracity
solution is to be cool and beware

:>

Magic 8 Ball | 03. Dezember 2018

Be very aware of those that tell you to get a lawyer on your third service visit.
No rhyme but truth!

dbemis | 03. Dezember 2018

Add another one - looking at it, definitely a bad design (front lip exposed, easily acting as a scoop?) It was raining out, nothing crazy, just some puddles

https://i.imgur.com/lH1v5DQ.jpg

rs | 03. Dezember 2018

Why in the name of God are they using fabric, even heavy weight/ waterproof (??) fabric on our undercarriages? Well this is splendid, I just took delivery today. I still love her, but now I’m a little remorseful. Just a touch.

mkaderi | 03. Dezember 2018

Just had this same issue happen to me last week. I was told there was an impact to the bottom of the car which caused the tray to get loose and break off. I don’t know of any such impact, and I’m not happy that Tesla is not covering it under warranty! I’m waiting for the quote. Let’s see... super bummed about the low quality assembley and Tesla’s service response to this! I’m considering selling the car now and not wanting to deal with this crab.

bj | 04. Dezember 2018

drrock75k | 04. Dezember 2018

Adding another pic to the pile. This happened a couple days after getting the car last July. Was not exposed to rain or wet roads. SC muttered something about 'must have hit something' but replaced it at no charge.

https://imgur.com/a/Jv3FmEB

rkalbiarEV | 04. Dezember 2018

Yeah, this is really crappy. They need to come out with a 'normal' tough 'plastic' version like everyone else uses... ASAP.

Everyone affected should tweet their pics to Elon.

Pepperidge | 04. Dezember 2018

Someone should set a GoPro in above the composite and record what is happening when driving through water patch.

Pepperidge | 04. Dezember 2018

By the way, my temporary solution is to put HVAC aluminum tape on the edge of the composite, so water does not push composite down. It divert water flow away from composite. Tesla should consider doing so at their factory.

bj | 05. Dezember 2018

Or, design it properly in the first place with a negative edge rather than positive. Tape can and will come off.

Pages