Forums

Nail in tire-cannot be repaired

Nail in tire-cannot be repaired

I picked up a nail in my left rear tire (18" tires) Just found out today that Tesla tires cannot be repaired. Tire shop ordered a new tire

djharrington | 03. Oktober 2018

Tell that to my repaired tire with acoustic-tech foam liner.

sterickson | 03. Oktober 2018

Yeah, sounds like they wanted to upsell you.

I plugged a nail in my 18” Primacy from my RWD 3. 8000mi later, still trucking.

slingshot18 | 03. Oktober 2018

See if America's Tire can do it. They fix almost anything.

artycrandall | 03. Oktober 2018

Local tire shop told me that Tesla tires with acoustic-tech foam liners cannot be repaired

A tire shop may not want to take the chance of repairing. If the foam is bonded to the inside, then I can see them refusing since tire shops repair (always?) with a plug AND patch. You’d have to get all the foam off where the patch will be placed and I can see that being a problem. However, you can plug a foam-lined tire. I did my RWD with 18” Primacys 8,000mi ago, and my brand new 20” 4s on the way home from picking up the car. Sure, I’m not going to take those tires on a high-speed track now, but for daily driving I’m not concerned. I’ve probably plugged 20 tires over the years and never had a plug fail (or the tire do anything weird).

stevea137 | 03. Oktober 2018

It's not a "tesla tire" issue. A puncture too close to the sidewall or shoulder can't be repaired, same if it caused internal damage to the tire.

Either that or the tire shop saw $$ roll in when a Tesla drove up. Probably time to find a new tire shop.

Bighorn | 03. Oktober 2018

False

Just_Ted | 03. Oktober 2018

1. IIRC, isn’t it the 19 inchers that have the acustic foam?
2. Even with the foam, a plug can usually be jammed in if the nail is not too close to the sidewall. (My Prius with “sport option” tires: 1 inch smaller, but EXACTLY the same Michelin tire as the base M3 factory tire, is to this day being piloted around town by my daughter with two of its four wheels plugged.)

TexasBob | 03. Oktober 2018

I ran into the EXACT SAME THING this weekend. Nail in the tire. Was way out of town and stopped in at a Chevy dealership (argh) to get it fixed. They said that a) Michelin says you are not allowed to plug tires b) they tried patching the tire but could not do it with the accoustic foam. They also told me "Tesla says you need to replace the tire." I said, "yeah, I'm not doing that." They were very nice - and tried (and failed) to patch it at no charge. I took it to a little hole in the wall tire shop I stumbled upon and they plugged it the old fashioned way in 3 minutes for $12 without removing the tire.

When I got home I looked it up to see if the chevy guys were trying to pull one over on me. Nope. What they are saying is consistent with what Michelin says "Do not have your tire plugged. Ever."
https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/tire-care/assessment.html#tab-5

So it is a dilemma. The acoustic foam seems to give the guys a very tough time with the Michelin-approved patching approach. I am sticking with the plugged tire, which is working fine, and will be rotating it to the back in a few months.

matine.real | 03. Oktober 2018

I've had two incidences where I had nail puncture that could not be repaired. The first one was from American Tires. The second was with Costco. Both were Michelin Pilot Sport. From what I was told, nail location, angle, and how long you drove with the puncture can affect if the tire is repairable or not.

gballant4570 | 03. Oktober 2018

The tires can be plugged. So long as the plug will get through the hole and get seated, and the glue works, the tire can be plugged. Is it the best outcome, or the preferred fix? Perhaps debatable, but that particular debate predates Tesla, acoustic foam, and even Michelin and is still going on..... I've driven plugged tires for thousands of miles. I can't recall having a problem with a plugged tire. If I'm on the road, get a puncture, and have the kit, and can find and reach the puncture, I'm plugging the tire.....

Rocky_H | 03. Oktober 2018

Tesla does not manufacture tires, so "tesla tires" are not a thing. This seems to be an issue with how different places handle tires with the foam in them. I have not ever done a tire plug, but I have had punctures patched from the inside a few times, and every place is willing to do that if they are normal tires without the foam in them. This is reinforcing for me that I never want to get tires with the foam in them, so no one will give me any grief about not wanting to patch them.

willym133 | 08. Mai 2019

Has anyone heard anything recently about repair shops patching underneath the acoustic foam? I have a nail in the tire and can't find anyone willing to properly fix it without replacing the whole tire.

willym133 | 08. Mai 2019

Has anyone heard anything recently about repair shops patching underneath the acoustic foam? I have a nail in the tire and can't find anyone willing to properly fix it without replacing the whole tire.

Syed.Hosain | 08. Mai 2019

Yes, nails in the sidewall cannot be repaired - only in the tread. Regardless of tire model. If in the tread, please also avoid using plugs (yes, people claim that these are well glued in, but ...). The best approach is an internal patch.

And, yes, there is No Such Thing™ as a "Tesla Tire". However, it should be noted that Tire Rack notes that the Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/34-18 in the 98W load index as an OE for Tesla. Fine ... that does not make it a "Tesla Tire".

Folks, that 98W load index *is* important and good - our cars are heavy and the other load index tires (94V, as I recall) for that same brand/model of tire should not be used.

jimglas | 08. Mai 2019

they cut out a little piece of the foam on mine. The second shop I went to was willing to fix my tire. They now have a customer for life. Our previous tire shop, which refused to repair my tire, will never see me again.

@willym133 "Has anyone heard anything recently about repair shops patching underneath the acoustic foam? I have a nail in the tire and can't find anyone willing to properly fix it without replacing the whole tire."

I don't know for sure, but remember reading way back when that the foam pretty much makes it difficult to use an internal patch. Your only real recourse to a nail in the tread is a plug, which I do not recommend at all.

For this reason, I have never considered using that acoustic foam.

carlk | 08. Mai 2019

Why plug would not work? That what pretty much all tire shops do nowadays.

ILoveMyModel3 | 08. Mai 2019

That's a lie, I had a nail in my TM3 Tire last month and Discount Tire plugged it. If they told you that run because you don't want then working on your car. However, Discount Tire told me they had to remove the foam, clean the area, plug the hole and reglue the foam in the area.

Bighorn | 08. Mai 2019

Plugs work great. Lots of experience there. There are even mushroom shaped plugs that essentially patch from the inside, though I'm dubious about them in foam-lined tires. Patches can be done with a bit of foam removed. Goop, which should never be used IMO, won't reach a puncture through the foam.

ILoveMyModel3 | 08. Mai 2019

One thing to remember, if you plan on taking your car to a 3rd party shop, please make sure that you have a lift pad in your car because Discount Tire didn't have one. They almost lifted my car without one and this could damage the housing where the battery strip is located.

ODWms | 08. Mai 2019

I’ve mentioned on the forum more than once that I’ve been plugging tires for decades without incident or issue of any kind. To each his or her own, but for me it’s the most convenient, fastest way of getting back on the road.

rxlawdude | 08. Mai 2019

Costco will most definitely repair acoustic foam-laden tires for Teslas.

Plugs also damage the internal tire belts further - by not allowing them to "settle" back a bit after the nail is removed. The plug gets in the way and then tire flex causes the belts to fray further.

This can cause a need to rebalance tires much more than usual and get noisier faster.

No way would I use plugs ever! But, to each their own, I guess.

More info on plugs: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-a-plugged-...

From Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

"Simply plugging a tire from the outside without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. (If a tire is punctured while off-roading far away from civilization and a spare tire isn't available, a plug may serve as a temporary low speed solution that must be replaced with a proper repair as soon as possible upon returning to the road.)

There are many different rubber compounds used in a tire. The tire's innerliner uses a special rubber compound that has the ability to better retain air. Once punctured, the innerliner must be cleaned, buffed, cemented, patched and coated to assure its ability to retain air has been restored. Since this can only be done from inside the tire, it's another reason that a plug-only repair is improper."

fcanozo | 08. Mai 2019

I replaced a 18' tire last month with only 200 miles on it, Tesla center found a screw driver inside the tire. $380 later...

@fcanozo "I replaced a 18' tire last month with only 200 miles on it, Tesla center found a screw driver inside the tire. $380 later..."

Ouch! With the original set of tires from Tesla, or what some subsequent tire shop left that in there? How the hell did they balance the wheels without hearing that?

BTW, heck of a large tire though ... 18 feet! Wow!

Daryl | 08. Mai 2019

@rxlawdude "Costco will most definitely repair acoustic foam-laden tires for Teslas."

Last time I was in Costco, they told me their new policy is to only repair tires that they sold. They made an exception for me (wasn't for my Tesla) since I had bought many tires there over the years, but don't count it.

TexasBob | 08. Mai 2019

I have 10,000 miles on since I plugged my 18" Model 3 Tire. Was turned away by one dealer and had a mom & pop guy do it. This policy looks to me a lot like a scam from the tire manufacturers to prevent low-cost, perfectly effective tire repairs in favor of replacement or high-cost patching.

Bighorn | 08. Mai 2019

I met a senior Tesla engineer out doing testing in Louisiana who started out when the company was young. He’s one of a select crowd whose tesla.com email address is just his first name. We were on the same route, so we were tossing the football and volleyball at a couple of our super charger stops. He worked at a tire shop in earlier years and he was a big proponent of the plug kit he carried. He would try whenever possible to help those stranded on the side of the road. Has a better than 90% fix rate. I’ve since started helping people as well. Super appreciative folks. I’ve plugged about a dozen tires between ours and others and never had any issue, but then I don’t have a vested interest.

billlake2000 | 08. Mai 2019

@BH, Salud!

-TheJohn- | 08. Mai 2019

Picked up a screw in the tread in the first 800 miles. Went to our local tire folks (Jack Furrier's here in south az) and they were leery at first due to the foam but I called Tesla and they reassured me and them that all they needed to do was cut a bit of the foam out in order to gain access to it and then treat it like normal. Plugged it.
8000 miles later and all is still fine.

billlake2000 | 08. Mai 2019

Thomas Crapper, for those of you who know your history.

fasheriff | 08. Mai 2019

A screw in my rear passenger tire was repaired at America’s Tire without hesitation. I read how it is done (cutting a piece of the liner to get access to the rubber), so I made sure they knew what they were doing. They did. In fact, they do repairs free. The screw was in a “safe” location, so there was no sidewall issue.

peldor427 | 08. Mai 2019

I had a screw/bolt in my tire and Discount Tire repaired it for free even though it was the original tire. Really happy with them. I did buy a set of winter tires from them but everything after that (including tire changes - I have rims for both) has been free. It was fairly recent, but I just put 1200+ miles (mostly interstate) on it this weekend with no problems.

daddy88 | 08. Mai 2019

@TexasBob It's about liabilities for the tire company. They gain nothing by claiming you can plug tires and everything to lose if something goes wrong with the plugged tire.

One tire shop's owner wouldn't mount the non-RFT on my BMW because I didn't have a spare, was citing a lawsuit that bankrupted another tire shop because they mounted non-RFT on another BMW owner whose car had a flat, stranded on side of road and got raped. The female driver sued the tire shop for millions forcing it to be out of business. All about risk/reward.

Same with us driving w/o a spare...

rxlawdude | 08. Mai 2019

"One tire shop's owner wouldn't mount the non-RFT on my BMW because I didn't have a spare, was citing a lawsuit that bankrupted another tire shop because they mounted non-RFT on another BMW owner whose car had a flat, stranded on side of road and got raped. The female driver sued the tire shop for millions forcing it to be out of business. "

Cite to that case, or file under "urban legend."

elecfan2 | 08. Mai 2019

We had a flat tire in our Tesla Model 3 Performance in the middle of nowhere, Tesla said there was nothing they could do as we had the audacity to put snow tires that Tesla refuses to sell for their own Tesla Model 3 performance, and that if you had the gall to put on third party tires (that Tesla refuses to sell mind you) they couldn't accommodate you. It was snowing, battery was running low, AAA rescued our car. Tesla will leave you high and dry. Buy insurance, don't trust Tesla promises.

ODWms | 09. Mai 2019

“This policy looks to me a lot like a scam from the tire manufacturers to prevent low-cost, perfectly effective tire repairs in favor of replacement or high-cost patching.“
—————

Agreed.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 09. Mai 2019

Does anyone else here suspect that ewd7 sold his TSLA stock at the bottom last week and now he's just exceptionally bitter?

jimglas | 09. Mai 2019

ewd is a FUD troll

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 09. Mai 2019

He's a FUD troll and a B-hole. Ha haaa, I kill me...

drrock75k | 09. Mai 2019

I had a slow leak at about 8K miles. Tesla service said there was a small hole near the rim that could not be repaired. Foolishly I didn't ask to see it. $370 for new tire.

Magic 8 Ball | 09. Mai 2019

@drrock75k So do you think they were being deceptive and possibly lying to you?

drrock75k | 09. Mai 2019

Not really. I've had nothing but good service from these folks but just for my own education I should have gotten more info.

Lith I M | 09. Mai 2019

Would someone describe the acoustic foam liner? Does it come from the tire OEM that way or is it added at the Tesla plant?
Stay charged my friend.

rxlawdude | 09. Mai 2019

It's as you imagine a polyethylene or other synthetic plastic "foam." Glued to the inside of the tire.

Comes from the tire manufacturer (the MXM4s with it are noted as "for Teslas").

billlake2000 | 09. Mai 2019

How many miles you gettin on your MXM4's? And who sells the ones with foam for the best price?

rxlawdude | 09. Mai 2019

Costco has em, around $250 each.

Got 26K miles from the MXM4s. Would have been more had I rotated them regularly. I'm spoiled by the MS dual motor, as tires wear very evenly.

Pages