Forums

Charging adapter stuck, red light on

Charging adapter stuck, red light on

I use the adapter to charge at work and have had no issues for last two months. Today, when disconnecting I noticed the “Tesla” T was red (normally green or blue) and now the adapter won’t realease and is stuck. I’ve tried unlocking both the car and the charge adapter. I tried reconnecting. Any help is appreciated.

kev.bullock | 28. November 2018

thank you Bighorn! I indeed have 44.2 and haven't run into this issue until today. I had to search where to find the manual release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yztE3YjhsQ

drrock75k | 28. November 2018

Did not know about manual release. Thank you.

kev.bullock | 28. November 2018

update on this, I tried calling Tesla support but the wait times were long. I basically left the car, locked it. I went and checked an hour later and it seems to have been resolved. the light is now green and I can charge.

Tinggrinnin | 28. November 2018

Bighorn, You're a wealth of knowledge and saved me a lot of stress. The manual release works like a charm to get back to normal charging pronto. Thanks!

malkazwini | 14. Januar 2019

Im facing the same issue and the manual release is not doing anything and the connector is still stuck, anyone had the same issue ?
Tried rebooting and powering off, still the same issue.

TeslaTap.com | 14. Januar 2019

@malkazwini - What color is the indicator after you press the release? If white (or whiteish-blue) it should pull out. On some cars it is rather tight when brand new and may need a slight wiggle.

mccreadj | 14. Januar 2019

Happened to me tonight too. I was at a Supercharger. Charging completed. I went to remove the charging cable and couldn't. the indicator was red. I had three warnings. Called Tesla for help. They had me try and release using the manual release cable in the trunk. That didnt work. They tried to do a remote fix but couldn't. I was on hold waiting for them to get someone to come out and help me and while I was waiting I tried to remove the cable and all of a sudden it released. Tesla said it was probably a little computer glitch. By this time I had 4 warnings on the display. Tesla rep said it was safe to drive and once I put it to sleep for the night the computer would reset itself and by morning all the warnings should go away. She said this happens every now and then but if it happens more frequency I'll have to have it serviced.

gdepau | 14. Januar 2019

The manual release works, you just need to pull the release at the same time you pull the connector out of the port.

gdepau | 14. Januar 2019

The manual release works, you just need to pull the release at the same time you pull the connector out of the port.

gdepau | 14. Januar 2019

sorry about two posts, it told me my first post was rejected

mccreadj | 14. Januar 2019

I did, pulled at same time, tried it a bunch of times - it wouldn't budge. Made little clicking noises but wouldn't let it go. And then left it all alone for about 10 min and I was suddenly able to pull the charging cable out without using the manual release.

agroyer | 15. Januar 2019

happened to me tonight too. manual release worked. why so common so recently new software update issue?

Big-B | 15. Januar 2019

Add one more to the list. Happened to me this morning as I was unplugging the charger. Fortunately, I remembered seeing this thread and went to the trunk for the manual release. Still irritating though, no reason why it would do this, except for being quick to press button and pull.

maverickf | 15. Januar 2019

It happened to me last week. I brought it to the service center, they updated the software, did a hard reset and problem fixed.

I don't know what the version was but I suggest you can try a hard reset. If it won't work, you may want to make a visit to the service center. Hope this helps.

haddonezia | 30. Januar 2019

mccreadj We have had the same issue happen a couple times now (have had the car 2 months). The first time the manual release worked, it is stuck again as I am typing this, this time the manual release did not work and I got a warning about using the release while charging. Tried rebooting and that did not work either. Will give it an hour or so since I am at work. I hope we don't have to waste time at a service center, Tesla should be able to fix this via a software update.

haddonezia | 30. Januar 2019

Make sure you have both your key-card and cell-phone with you when you try to release the adapter/charge plug. The first time I tried removing it I had the card on me but not my phone, which is linked to the car. When I had both with me it released.

Prashanthsharma | 30. Januar 2019

Happened to me. Solution:

- Pull manual release cable to unlock the adapter.
- Do a 'power off' from the touch screen "safety" menu and let it come back up. Takes ~ 3-4 min. The red light will go away.

lilbean | 30. Januar 2019

The update addresses the cable release issue.