Forums

"Dog mode", am I missing something here.....?

"Dog mode", am I missing something here.....?

So of course all the EV related media outlets are talking about the "Dog mode". Elon had said via a Tweet that the car would sense when there is a dog present. So Tesla releases a video of this Dog Mode" which appears to not be automatic because you have to touch the center screen before leaving the car, but more to the point, it just puts a screen saver on the screen.

Having the HVAC running while you are not in the car is not new. We have had this ability for years. So is this "Dog mode" really just a screen saver? If so, and if the intent was to alert concerned passerbys, to draw attention to the message on the screen, the mode should have the screen flashing in different colors. Concerned passerbys are going to focus on the dogs not the dash board.

Uncle Paul | 14. Februar 2019

Some owners were concerned that someone might break the window when they see a dog inside a car on a hot day. Some might also call Police to rescue the dog, when the dog is really quite comfortable inside the air conditioned vehicle.

They added the display, showing all looking inside, that the interior temp is indeed comfortable and safe for the happy dog.

Designed to reduce worry that someone might break a car window to save the dog.

Goes along with the aslo recently added security mode, that will detect a window break plus interior motion. Will play the radio loud and flash the screen. Hopefully encourage the burgler to leave the area.

Not perfect, but it is being provided at no cost and might be helpful in many circumstances...but not all.

jpcollins9 | 14. Februar 2019

Seems like a lot of trouble to avoid making signs for both sides and the windshield that says "The air is set at 72 and the dogs are fine. I'm monitoring them from my I Phone"

finman100 | 14. Februar 2019

Yep, been hanging these types of signs in our hybrids and EVs since 2004. Happy dogs, no broken windows or panicked passersby.

Of course, if people can't read...

carlk | 14. Februar 2019

Looks that's what it is. No big deal. Although one could keep AC or heater on while away from the car is indeed a big deal. This feature just shows off another unique advantage of EV.

jordanrichard | 14. Februar 2019

That is what I figured, but as I said, anyone concerned about the dog's welfare isn't going to naturally look at the dash/screen they will just look at the dog through the side glass.. So as an improvement on this mode, they should make the screen do something to draw their attention to the message on it.

EVRider | 14. Februar 2019

@jordanrichard: As long as the screen doesn't do something to make the dog crazy. :-)

Pepperidge | 14. Februar 2019

Please like his Tweet
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1095951337664270336
We def need to add a “Request Latest Update” feature!

Earl and Nagin ... | 14. Februar 2019

@EVRider,
show a squirrel on the screen

kellerrook | 14. Februar 2019

I would love to leave the fireplace on for my dogs in winter :)

TeslaTap.com | 14. Februar 2019

Should we also get a "cat mode"? Seems unfair that it is limited to dogs :) Bonus would be a moving mouse on screen to keep the cat occupied.

Yodrak. | 15. Februar 2019

"Bonus would be a moving mouse on screen to keep the cat occupied."

Is the screen immune to being scratched by claws?

Doowopqueen | 26. August 2019

@Yodrak, great comment! I love my Tesla, but technology fails, and there has been a glitch in this one. I love my MOdel 3, but there's no way I'd leave an animal in a car, dog mode or no. The sun through the windshield can cause damage to the dog, and if the app fails, well...We just had a police dog die from overheating in a police car for this reason--the app died.

mbirnie51 | 26. August 2019

@Doowopqueen...I respectfully disagree ....

I have used Dog Mode (DM) ever since it came out, and it worked just fine for me until v2019.28.2. In the early iteration, I was able to choose any temperature even as low as "LO" and set my fan manually to 11. This allowed the car to push sufficient cooled air back into the far back area of my 5 seat MX. I was able to monitor my vehicle via the phone app and did multiple times each time I used it. Someone complained that their DM failed to operate in a manner they thought best for them, but their "best method" was insufficient for my needs. But the engineering staff fixed DM for them and now I'm not happy with it. I've emailed Support and have gotten timely responses, but not satisfaction with the recent changes. It seems my DM issue, like all other issues in life, their is a one-size-fits- all fix for everything when in fact it only satisfies 60% of those affected. I'd like my old DOG MODE back, it worked great for me.

finman100 | 27. August 2019

a tesla police car? do tell...

lulu.li | 16. September 2019

I just got my car last week and used dog mode, the screen saver becomes quite hot after 30 mins display (probably it is on the white background), and I don;t have choice to lower down the temperature with dog mode. So the cabin becomes warmer than we expected after 30 mins. I hope it is a bug and can be fixed. also, the consumption is high about 20 KM for a lunch time. even though it is a cool underground parking and the temperature is around 21. Anyone has similar situation?

I just got my car last week and used dog mode, the screen saver becomes quite hot after 30 mins display (probably it is on the white background), and I don;t have choice to lower down the temperature with dog mode. So the cabin becomes warmer than we expected after 30 mins. I hope it is a bug and can be fixed. also, the consumption is high about 20 KM for a lunch time. even though it is a cool underground parking and the temperature is around 21. Anyone has similar situation?

TeslaTap.com | 16. September 2019

@lulu.li - Screen saver? There is no screen saver on the Tesla (or any LCD based display). Screen savers were common back in the CRT era 15 years ago, but have mostly disappeared. OLED TVs will still use a screen saver, but not aware of any car that does. Perhaps you can be clearer what you're talking about?

EVRider | 16. September 2019

@TeslaTap: I assume @lulu was talking about the dog mode screen.

@TeslaTap.com It is screen itself getting very hot when the dog mode display the message on the screen: "My owner will be back soon" with white background.

TeslaTap.com | 17. September 2019

@lulu - thanks for the clarification - makes sense. Not quite sure why the screen gets hot. Do you notice it hot when driving around? It's possible an MCU fan has failed, but I'd expect the display to be hot all the time if that were the case.

lulu.li | 18. September 2019

@TeslaTap, the screen is good while driving, it only becomes hot after some time with Dog mode. Checked with Tesla support saying it is normal as the screen is displaying all the time. Seems there is no way to modify the screen message, it is hardcoded using a white background, hopefully there will be a better way to showing the message.

TeslaTap.com | 18. September 2019

LCDs don't get hot, nor the backlight. The electronics behind the screen do heat up and there are two fans to keep it cool. Perhaps the MCU fans are turned off in Dog mode. Seems odd to me.

EVRider | 19. September 2019

@lulu: You can try setting the screen brightness to manual and turn it down before using Dog Mode. Another option is to put a note on the driver’s window and use Keep Climate On instead of Dog Mode. Some people use a note even with Dog Mode because people might not notice what’s on the screen.