Forums

Just brought the baby home

Just brought the baby home

Announcement: She is 3 years old and weighs 5,000 lbs. We call her Kiana. I don't know, i just like that name and currently no one in the family has that name.

Anyway, just drove the baby home. I ordered it 2 weeks ago. A week after that got a call that my car was at the delivery center (San Diego), but I had to wait another week because they didn't have anyone available until then to hand me my keys. One of the longest weeks of my life. Haha.

I am having a hard time getting used to autopilot. I know it will get easy with time but curious if anyone has ever experienced a failure. I can't help but having this fear that autopilot won't see the car in front slowing down or auto steer won't see the lanes correctly. Is this rational?

Either way, really excited to be part of the revolution.

TesMD | 16. Februar 2019

Congrats on your new car. Since, it is a 3 yeear old car, I am assuming you have AP1.

AP is just a driver assist device. It can not be relied upon 100%. So, you still need to pay full attention even when on AP.

I posted a video last week from my dashcam when I was on AP 2 and my car completely missed the car that was stalled in my lane and I almost T-boned the car in the freeway. AP is amazing and has a lot of advantages only if used properly.

Enjoy your new baby. You coukd post the year and model so people have better idea about your car.

Dramsey | 16. Februar 2019

Yes, it's rational. You've probably seen various news stories about people plowing into obstacles or stopped vehicles while on autopilot. It's VERY IMPORTANT to remember that autopilot is an _assistive_ technology, not autonomous driving, and you're fully responsible for the behavior of the vehicle AT ALL TIMES.

So pay attention. I have had autopilot prompt me to take over when conditions suddenly change (lane lines vanish) but this is not guaranteed.

PrescottRichard | 16. Februar 2019

Congratulations!

Be alert when using autopilot, that’s a good thing :) For me it works on more roads than advertised, but don’t trust it completely. Read the details about WHEN it will work and when it will not.

I’ve noticed that I am a MUCH earlier brake engages than the autopilot, that takes some getting used to. When approaching stopped traffic I adjust the distance to 7 car lengths in hopes that will have it slow sooner. So that may help you as well, or maybe it’s a placebo.

Enjoy the ride...

NKYTA | 16. Februar 2019

Congrats!! Grin! :-) :-)

AERODYNE | 16. Februar 2019

As a recent adoptive parent, I think 3 yo is the perfect age. Old enough not to have teething pains, not too old to have to go to the Tesla Doctor or be out of warranty.

I also have AP1, and although I have never had a severe problem, it took quite a while to get fully comfortable with it. I view it as a super boosted power steering, always keep my hand lightly on the wheel to "feel" the AP inputs.

I suggest first view the Tesla videos, then get comfortable with TACC, auto steer, lane change, and auto park. Last is not needed if you are not comfortable leaving your baby parked next to strangers.

Be sure to search this and other sites for answers to specific questions, may be quicker and more accurate that way.

Anthony J. Parisio | 17. Februar 2019

Congratulations and welcome to the family.

Silver2K | 17. Februar 2019

Congrats!

Autopilot it's a semi-autonomous system and needs your attention all the time. Please leave hands on wheel as stated when activating autopilot

kerryglittle | 17. Februar 2019

Congrats. Auto pilot or what it really is, is driver assist. Set you car lengths between cars for what you are comfortable with. The sales rep took me for a spin after I had paid for my car in brutal Toronto Canada traffic and had the car lengths set at 1. I thought we wouldn't make it back to the dealership. But thats they way people drive there. Needless to say I avoid Toronto at all costs. When I got my car home I set the car lengths at 3, sometimes 4.

AERODYNE | 17. Februar 2019

A good comment. I usually set my TACC at 6 or 7. Here in SoCal, I rather have the crazys in front of me than in back of me...

TranzNDance | 17. Februar 2019

@AERODYNE +1 to letting the crazies be in front.

crazy canaler | 17. Februar 2019

I suggest that while you have autopilot engaged, set the follow distance to 7 lengths and put it in chill mode until you get more used to it.

Any time you don't like what it's doing, brake and take control of the car. It will reset after several seconds and then you can rengage autopilot.

Also, be especially aware when the car in front of you switches lanes. If there is a stopped car in front of them that they are switching lanes to avoid, your Tesla won't recognize it. You must brake or you will rear-end them.

MilesMD88 | 17. Februar 2019

What everyone else said. Read the owner’s manual, especially the sections on autopilot & emergency braking.

bobksingh | 19. Februar 2019

Thanks all. Appreciate the awesome feedback.

It’s a 2015 Model S 90D with 41K Miles. I’m told it was manufactured in Nov 2015. Incidentally I bought this over 85D because of the extra range but at full charge it only gives me 263 Miles (instead of 304). Tesla said the previous owner must have supercharged all the time. Anyone know if that range can improve over time if I only do normal charging? Or is it a one way street.

I guess I could look at it as having a brand new 85D for half the cost. Glass half full.

AERODYNE | 20. Februar 2019

Get the window sticker (Monroney) from your DA. Also, records of service by prior owner from the SC. You could save $$$ on stuff that has already been done, as I did.

Don't worry about range or the battery. Search the forums and the well known tweets as to why, if you must.

Do worry about getting into accident or damage or break ins. Watch how you drive and where you park.

Download Teslafi or similar if you really want to track performance. 2 week free trial.

ENJOY the CAR!

Silver2K | 20. Februar 2019

bobksingh

The 90d from 2015 had a pack that used more silicon in the anodes than normal. This chemistry caused range loss to happen quickly, but once the initial 10-11 % loos happens the pack settles.

Supercharging your car to 80 or 90% (100% when needed) does not cause range loss.

Your EPA range should be 295, not 304.

sentabo | 20. Februar 2019

I agree with what everyone has said regarding AP. Would just like to add that once you get used to it (it won't take long) it is really a nice feature for long trips. Even though you obviously still need to stay alert, I think you will notice that you will be much less fatigued than normal after a long day of driving with AP.

Congrats, and enjoy!

MySin_AZ | 20. Februar 2019

The only thing I would add is that you need to prepare your significant other that he/she is no longer the most loved thing in your life...