Forums

Slow supercharging

Slow supercharging

My model 3 has been supercharging very slow. Tried 4 different locations, different stalls each. Thought it was due to the cold weather, but it does not improve even after the temp improved and/or battery is warm. I’m talking 18 kWh where I’m gaining only 50-70 mph. I cannot take it on a road trip as I would be at the supercharger for 6 hours. I called support and was told to only expect even less in the winter (10-20 mph) at a supercharger and that is normal. Then I was told it is because I don’t have the latest update. Why would this be effected by an update? It previously would charge well up to 455miles/hr at a supercharger. I’m basically stuck with a car that I can’t take on a road trip. Anyone else experience similar issues?

gmr6415 | 21. Februar 2019

@sukhvir3, what was the outside temperature when you were supercharging? Had you driven long enough to have a warmed up battery when you arrived? What was your SOC (state of charge) when you started charging?

SteveWin1 | 21. Februar 2019

Yeah, most people don't know this, but Tesla customer phone support has a giant wheel of answers. When someone calls, they spin it and read whatever answer the little white arm lands on. If you keep calling back, you'll get all kinds of different answers. If you read through the forums about any topic, you'll see that this is true for any kind of question.

If you want answers that are actually based in reality, you should probably take your car to a service center. Since your'e staring them right in the face, they can't resort to using their random-answer-wheel and have to actually figure out what the issue is.

jithesh | 21. Februar 2019

Wow.. I have never got this low in cold weather. 10-20 mph I guess is only possible if the battery state is above 80-90%. Did this happened only once or many times?

Sometimes the superchargers also have issues.

Bighorn | 21. Februar 2019

10-20 MPH is suggestive of a cold battery and not unusual.

Bob.Calvo | 21. Februar 2019

You don't say what your State of Charge (SOC) or what the outdoor temperature was at the time, how long you were driving and if the car sat out overnight in the cold. As others have stated, all of these factors are relevant. You also don't say if you allowed it to continue to charge to see if the rate ramped up over time.

My worst case was subzero on New Years Day 2018 with the car outside overnight and less than 25% SOC. I had dotted yellow lines completely eliminating regeneration braking and most of the acceleration capability as well. I drove at highway speeds for over half an hour with the cabin heat on before I got to the Supercharger. Charging was as low if not lower. By the time that I sat down and got my food, I was able to verify through the phone app that the charge rate had increased to normal levels after the battery temperature had sufficiently increased. This took all of 5 or 10 minutes.

sukhvir3 | 21. Februar 2019

This has happened multiple times at multiple charging locations consistently. It happens even if I drive 30 miles before. It is cold outside 20-30 degrees but it will happen even if I’ve sufficiently warmed up battery like after driving all day. This is occurring at low starting charge 10-20%. I can never get to 80-90 at this rate!

Car is sitting outside which is why I assumed it was the cold but EVEN after driving all day or charging for over an put it never speeds up. I expect it to start out slow but even if I fix all those factors you list. It still persists which is why I’m frustrated. Also what is still too slow? 80 mph charge even after warming up/driving 30 miles/charging for over an hour/starting with 20%/trying multiple locations and stalls seems pretty slow.

Car is sitting outside which is why I assumed it was the cold but EVEN after driving all day or charging for over an put it never speeds up. I expect it to start out slow but even if I fix all those factors you list. It still persists which is why I’m frustrated. Also what is still too slow? 80 mph charge even after warming up/driving 30 miles/charging for over an hour/starting with 20%/trying multiple locations and stalls seems pretty slow.

Red_Falcon | 21. Februar 2019

sukhvir3, what's your SoC when start SC? I've taken two recent 348 mi road trips with 4 SC stops. Temps were 28 - 36 F, and I got 477mph (117kW) peak from 22-48% SoC. I started charging at 20% and it ramps up in a min to 465 mph (114 kW). At SoC > 48%, the rate drops linearly to ~20kW @ 90%. So if you're starting your SC session at SoC greater than 50%, it will be slow. Try running the battery down to 30% or less, and then do 90% charge. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised...I was when I saw 477mph charge rate between 35-48% SoC. Also if you hear any noise from the battery pack, don't be alarmed i believe it thermal expansion taking place due to the battery pack heating up from all that juice.

jjgunn | 21. Februar 2019

Same thing on a Model X or S.

Cold battery sir.... I got 18kW too on the 100D.

After it warmed up, back to 116kW / 355 MPH

Don't want to JAM a bunch of electricity into a cold battery & crack it now...do you?

kcheng | 21. Februar 2019

Ok, you finally answered your SOC was 10 to 20%. I'd make an appt at a service center.

andrer75 | 30. August 2019

I've given up on troubleshooting with support. Stuck in a loop with them. On the phone they tell me to bring it in. At service center they confirm it's slower charging but it's because they tested it with other cars charging at their charging stalls making the charging shared. They say bring it in next time. Getting tired of watching people come and go at superchargers and sitting there for an hour

susan.hackwood | 26. November 2019

I can never get more than 80kW charging rates with my Model S - even if the charging station is 150kW plus, and often this is more lie 32kW. The car battery is warm, and the remaining charge is less than 50 miles. What is going on? This is not truth in advertising.

Magic 8 Ball | 26. November 2019

Trolls resurrecting necro threads is popular this week.

jimglas | 26. November 2019

trolls in training
their first posts are very strange with bad english

WEST TEX EV | 26. November 2019

If related to cold battery one suggestion that has been made:

Crank climate to “HI”. This warms cabin but also ?I guess? Helps warm pack to accept faster charging(?)

TeslaTap.com | 26. November 2019

@West - The Cabin has its own heater. Going to Hi will not warm the pack much faster, other than using power from the pack.

@susan - What model do you have? The 60/70/75 models have a 105 kW limit with 95 kW typical when the battery is warm. It's not clear on other older models if they can get 150 kW and I'm sure some are limited to 120 kW. This is a Model 3 forum, and the Model 3 gets 150 kW on a V2 SC, and 250 kW on a V3 SC.

hokiegir1 | 26. November 2019

Benefit of the doubt:
@susan - make sure you aren't charging on a shared pair (1A/B). If there is a car on 1A, and no one else there, you should use 2A, 2B, or anything *except* 1B. If it's a busy, full station, what you are seeing is expected.

guydude | 27. Dezember 2019

I’m in a model s 100D in Colorado. I can’t get faster than 38kw. Battery should be warm since driving all day. Tried 4 different stalls. I’m only one here. Terrible...

FISHEV | 27. Dezember 2019

When charging at non-Tesla fast chargers where we don’t get Preconditioning and it takes about 20 minutes to reach peak of 50 kW for EVgo.

There’s also the battery which only takes max charge for first 20% and then car ramps down. Sounds like whatever controls the charge rate in the car is out of adjustment.

Here’s the curve.

https://insideevs.com/news/349267/video-tesla-model-3-supercharging-v2-1...

Tronguy | 27. Dezember 2019

Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

bp | 27. Dezember 2019

@guydude did you put that SC into your nav and navigate there - thus initiating the preconditioning cycle for fast charge, or just show up there? How long did you wait? It’s also possible there is just low power on that SC presently. BTW why post on the model 3 forum?

FISHEV | 28. Dezember 2019

"I called support and was told to only expect even less in the winter (10-20 mph) at a supercharger and that is normal."

That's bogus info.

To get it checked out. Run the car down to 20% using the Nav to go to a Supercharger. When you get there, look for a charger nacelle with the light on (lights off it's not working) and make sure there's not another use paired to your charger. 1A/1B are paired so if someone is in 1A go to 2A or 2B.

Once you are plugged in, if the charger rate is low (less than 120kW at a 150kW charger at 20% battery), hit the white T and call Tesla road service. There's a phone tree option for "Charging Issues'. When they answer, tell them the low charge rate and they can look at your car and charger simultaneously and tell you what is wrong.