Forums

Rear speakers not working this morning

Rear speakers not working this morning

Got in my car this morning and found the sound from the radio to be "off". Felt tinny or not completely full like it usually is. I adjust the balance and found that there was no sound coming from the rear of the car at all. I did an MCU reboot and it restored the sound. I sent in a bug report, but issue seems new with 2019.5.4

Curious if anyone else is seeing this?

alisse | 27. Februar 2019

*hearing this :)

grbaker2 | 04. März 2019

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Just started. I have to reset the car and it works but it is going on pretty much daily now.

cornellio | 04. März 2019

It happened to mine for about a day then quickly fixed itself after normal use. Give it some time.

grbaker2 | 04. März 2019

Happened again today on my way home from work. I reset the car and it worked fine until I received a phone call. Then only the front worked for the rest of my commute home. Ugggghhhhh. I could hear the sub fluttering trying to get power. I switched between slacker and my phone and it still wouldn't fix. When I got off the freeway, I reset the car and boom...I was back up and running. Clearly a bug somewhere...

I live in LA and have a 40 mile commute. It is painful when you are stuck on the freeway...I can't just pull over and hard reset the car every the rear speakers go out after a phone call.

jimglas | 04. März 2019

you dont have to pull over to do a scrollwheel reboot. Just do it.

ATX_TM3 | 04. März 2019

Same issue here on Sunday. Did the reboot while driving, esp entertaining with autopilot on, but that resolved it. Running 2019.5.4

grbaker2 | 05. März 2019

Thx guys. I didn't know that...

Hal Fisher | 05. März 2019

Sometimes adjusting the audio balance will get them working again.

TeslaTap.com | 05. März 2019

As for the first phone call (and perhaps other audio), adjusting the volume seems to immediately fix muted sound. Only needed to be done once per drive. Clearly a bug in the last 1-2 months of releases. Tesla is aware of it.

ODWms | 05. März 2019

I’ve mentioned before I have the audio mute on phone call when I open the door, and then doesn’t return when I close it back. Annoying.

grbaker2 | 05. März 2019

I have tried everything to get my rear sound back and nothing works on my car except the reset. But as soon as you take a call, boom, front speakers only.

HotDogEV | 26. März 2019

Issue started happening for me 2 weeks ago. Happens after I hangup from a Bluetooth call. Lose all rear speakers and sub. It comes back after reset as well. I have contacted service. Have not heard a response.

HotDogEV | 27. März 2019

I am curious what phones people are using that are having the REAR speaker issue?

ME: Pixel XL (Original) Andriod 9

gmkellogg | 27. März 2019

@HotDogEV I don't think the phone type matters. lost my bass a couple of times yesterday while using the USB drive.

Wilber | 27. März 2019

I have been having the problem with the USB as well. So far, what seems to fix it is to simply switch to another song (then get normal sound) and switch back to first song!

fieldsoffire | 28. März 2019

Yep. Rear speakers and subwoofer stopped working one day. Rebooted and it's on and off now. It's been fine for about a week. Service center said they knew about it and were still seeing what the fix would be.

rxlawdude | 28. März 2019

@fieldsoffire, when it isn't working, can you check if your voice command works (in other words, is the mic still live)?

40milecommuter | 01. April 2019

My rear speakers and sub-woofer went out today. All I hear from them is a clicking sound. My voice command button on the steering wheel also no longer works. Tried numerous reboots and power downs. I'm on 2019.8.3 da116a6

rxlawdude | 01. April 2019

I had the same. Took a new update to cure. But I'm on 8.3 and so far no repeat.

40milecommuter | 02. April 2019

Update: Rebooted several times. Nothing helped. Car went to sleep overnight and the next morning speakers were working fine.

hein.eltink | 02. April 2019

I have the same issues. rear speakers have an anoying clicking sound to it. And also voice command is not working.
I am on 2019.8.4 530d1d3. several reboots, both soft and hard did not work.

Mikael13 | 02. April 2019

@hein.eltink ... my car got the virus too. Exact same problem as yours. Tried rebooting several ways (soft and hard) and no go. This just happened today. I’m on 8.3. Sigh. Feels like my iPhone updates...

slingshot18 | 02. April 2019

This is an old issue. Been going on since last fall. 5.15 seems to have solved it for me, but not entirely sure.

HotDogEV | 03. April 2019

Mine triggers when I get a call thru Bluetooth. Not every call....but when I return from the call I don't get rear or sub. Anyone else notice if it happens right after calls?

Mikael13 | 03. April 2019

@ slingnshot - I didn’t previously have this kind of issue. Only happened with update to 8.3

@HotDogEV - I think you might be on to something. I posted yesterday but after my car slept overnight, speakers and talk command work perfectly now (doin’ the baby cabbage patch)... Anywho, now that you mentioned it, I was on the phone prior to getting into my car yesterday then the call (of course) automatically transferred to the car once I stepped on the brake. Interesting. Hopefully a fix will be made on next release.

40milecommuter | 03. April 2019

Yes, mine went out after taking a call via Bluetooth. The only time I've seen this is on 8.3.

stephenfootball | 03. April 2019

Yep, right after a call. Happened to me today.

stephenfootball | 03. April 2019

I’m on 5.15

HotDogEV | 04. April 2019

My working theory is that it has to do with how the system handles phone calls. Just a guess but calls are only handled on the front speakers. When it switches back to music, for some reason this bug is preventing it from reactivating the rear channels and sub. This is only a guess!! I have spoken to service 2x and reported 10+ bug reports. They are working on a solution.

marty | 09. April 2019

Picked up the car a few days ago. Not sure if the subwoofer ever worked. Today the rear went out and I it clicking. The mic stopped working too.

Rebooted twice and the rear came back, but no subwoofer.

I’m on 8.5.

Carl Thompson | 09. April 2019

@marty

Which car do you have? Not all Model 3s have a subwoofer.

security.enforcement | 10. April 2019

My issue with the rear speakers started a few weeks ago...everything would be working great and then the volume from the rear speakers would drop dramatically. At first an MCU reset would would bring it back to full volume for the rest of my trip but eventually that stopped working. Took it in for service and they replaced the sub amp. I picked it up and found that the problem wasn’t resolved so I drove it right back. They had a tech who owns a M3 listen to it and he said it definitely doesn’t sound right and so they had the Enterprise rep who was about to go home bring my loaner back around...

frisbee912 | 25. April 2019

@security.enforcement: I have the same issue as yours today. Did the tech ever find out what caused it?

jv0000 | 29. April 2019

Same issue. We were not on the phone though. Rear speakers were not working when we got in the car. Voice commands would not work. No phone. Rebooted 2x, still not working. Parked the car for about 1 hour and all was back working properly. We are on 2019.8.6.1.

SoCalDriver | 29. April 2019

I’m having this issue as well. Any updates on a fix?

scottsam | 01. Mai 2019

Having same issue. Rear speakers clicking in and out repetitively every half second or so. Front works fine. Tested with fader. Tried radio, on-board streaming and phone (iphone) streaming. On board microphone not working. Just started this morning. Just parked it and will be away for a few hours...hopefully it'll take care of itself as others mentioned. Otherwise will try reboot. Version 2019.8.6.1. Unfortunate that this bug seems to be unfixed for at least a couple months.

slingshot18 | 01. Mai 2019

@Mikael13 This has been going on for months. There are countless threads about this since last October. No one knows why it's happening, but it's certainly not specific to your recent upgrade.

prsulliv01 | 19. Mai 2019

Just started on my Model 3 this morning. My version is 2019.12.1.2

jv0000 | 21. Mai 2019

I'm now on 2019.12.1.2 and it is still happening. Lots of bugs lately.

tacotaco | 21. Mai 2019

Rear speakers and subwoofer making clicking sound. Also no microphone. I have tried hard reset , soft reset, turning power off to car nothing works for me. Car is updating now hopefully these problems will be fix by that.

tacotaco | 21. Mai 2019

2019.16.2 fixed the speakers and microphone issues

rxlawdude | 21. Mai 2019

When I had this (2019.5.4), it took a week at the Service Center before they updated the firmware (2019.5.15), which resolved it. I haven't had a repeat since (March 10).

mp1 | 30. Mai 2019

I am having the same issues. My back speakers are “crackling”/no sound and my mic is not working. I was on 2019.12.1.2 and my software was just updated yesterday to 2019.16.3, hoping that my speakers and mic would be fixed. No luck