Forums

Interesting “fix” in 2019.12.1.1

Interesting “fix” in 2019.12.1.1

I got 2018.12.1.1 (from 2019.12) last night and this morning I noticed that 2 local roads that had incorrect or missing speed limit information were now correct.

I call this interesting because I had assumed that the speed limit data was tied to the navigation data, but I checked and that is still the same version I had before the update.

This means that the speed limit data is either in the firmware version or in some other stored dataset that happened to update at the same time as the firmware.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

sr.smr | 02. Mai 2019

I'll start looking at the car's speed limit data, but still find that when engaging autopilot, even if the car recognizes a 55 mph speed limit, the car will arbitrarily engage at 60 or 65 mph and I have to manually reduce the cruise control setting.

EVRider | 02. Mai 2019

@sr.smr: Check your Speed Assist settings and change the offset to 0 if necessary. TACC will automatically use the speed limit plus offset unless you’re already going faster than that, in which case it will use your current speed.

Mfox7044 | 02. Mai 2019

I have noticed the same. Last week I actually used the “note” feature to advise Tesla about an incorrect speed limit in my neighborhood. It was fixed within days. Coincidence maybe??

Yodrak. | 02. Mai 2019

"I got 2018.12.1.1 (from 2019.12) last night and this morning I noticed that 2 local roads that had incorrect or missing speed limit information were now correct. "

I got 2018.12.1.1, from 2019.12, for my S over the weekend and on my Tuesday commute I found that in several sections of a road that always had speed limit indication the speed limit disappeared and my TACC turned off. Quite the opposite of what you experienced.

I normally commute in a Leaf because my wife uses the S for daily trips that exceed the Leaf's range, so I have not been over the route again in the S to see if it was a one-time anomaly.

sr.smr | 03. Mai 2019

@EVRider, thanks, it worked! I set the offset to zero and now when I enable autopilot the car speed matches the speed limit displayed on the drivers display. This works under "relative" offset. What happens if I select the "absolute" offset. I recall when set to "absolute" the offset is grayed out. Does this mean the offset automatically is set to zero and that is why it is grayed out?

juliette | 04. Mai 2019

I’ve noticed after updating that a major (but not highway) road that used to “navigate on autopilot” now just does lane following. Did Tesla get more conservative, perhaps?

EVRider | 04. Mai 2019

@sr.smr: The absolute setting is not an offset, it’s a speed limit value you want to use as the basis for the speed limit warning (the visual or audible alert when you exceed the speed limit). For example, if you set the absolute speed limit to 50, you’ll get the warning if you exceed 50mph, regardless of the actual speed limit. I don’t think that value is used by TACC.

If the absolute setting is greyed out, you probably have the speed limit warning turned off.

Jesperj | 04. Mai 2019

Mfox7044, how does that Note feature work? The speed limit display is wrong about 50% of the time around where I live so if I can fix it by notifying Tesla that would be great!

EVRider | 04. Mai 2019

@Jesperj: Use the "note" or "report bug" voice command to describe the problem when you see it.

barrykmd | 04. Mai 2019

I've been told my service that the "bug report" feature only puts a bookmark in the log at the point your record it, and nothing else. it doesn't get sent to Tesla. You need to call them, or go to a Service Center, and they'll see your note(s) when they review the log.

NKYTA | 04. Mai 2019

Send your SvC an email stating time and date. That has worked in the past. No clue if it works now.

sr.smr | 04. Mai 2019

@EVRider, got it. The relative value works great. Can't thank you enough for the great tip!

EVRider | 05. Mai 2019

@barrykmd: Here’s what the manual says:

“Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model S takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model S.”

My interpretation is that the bug report does submit the information to Tesla, but they don’t necessarily look at it, which is why following up by contacting Tesla is a good idea.

Jesperj | 06. Mai 2019

Thanks! I think I'll do that. The data comes from TomTom if I understand it correctly, and it seems to be rather lacking around here.