Forums

Which charger to get?

Which charger to get?

Hi,

I bought a 100D Model S a few days ago and I am researching my options for home charging. My local energy company has an incentive for installing Level 2 home chargers. There is a $500 rebate for a networked charger and a $250 rebate for a non-networked charger. Here is how they define a network charger:

"A Networked Level 2 EV charging station, sometimes referred to as a “smart” charging station, must be capable of connecting to the internet via WiFi connection for app or web-based charging control. Typical networked charging station features can enable owners to control charge times, monitor power, set notifications, or view charge history. Many other smart grid features may be available depending on charging station model."

Even though I don't drive much most days, I am still looking at getting a 60 amp line pulled from the basement where the electrical panel is. So far I have learned that the Tesla Wall Connector is a non-networked charger and my 100D Model S can do a max of 48 amps (34 miles per hour) on it.

What networked charger options do I have? The ChargePoint Home seem to go up to 32 amp max. There is the ClipperCreek HCS-80 that can go up to 64 amps (limited to 48 with my Model S?), but that's $969. Maybe the JuiceBox Pro 40 is the best all around (@ $549) because it can do 40 amp (vs. 48 w/ Tesla Wall Connector)? Others?

Thanks!

p.c.mcavoy | 21. Mai 2019

Any of the L2 chargers you list will work. The key downside or disadvantage for some is that you will need to used the J1722 adapter (came with you car) to connect to your car. Otherwise, any of the options you listed will work. The upside is that the universal nature of the J1722 plug will allow you to use it for other EVs if you should ever decide to have something other than a Tesla (or have family/friend visit and they need to use it for their non-Tesla EV).

If you typically do not drive more than 100 miles a day, then don't obsess over difference of charging at 32 vs. 48 amps. At 32 amps you're still going to charge at home at something like 24-25 miles per hour, so still more than easy to charge overnight.

mizunosan | 21. Mai 2019

My Model S100D (2018) charges at 72 amps.
Where did you see the 48 amp figure?
I had a 90 amp circuit added and have 2 Tesla Home Chargers installed as they can load share between my Model S and my wife's Model 3. The Model 3 charges at 48 amps
Would it be better to have a 80 amp + circuit installed if you're getting something installed anyway?

farhan | 21. Mai 2019

Thanks for the feedback.

mizunosan, I was going off of Tesla's Wall Connector website (https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector) and the Charging Your Car support page (https://www.tesla.com/support/charging). Which EVSE do you have at home?

mizunosan | 21. Mai 2019

@farhan what year is your Model S? Was it new or an older version? Mine is a 2018 Model S 100D and it has the dual on board chargers for 72 amps. I saw that Tesla HPWC manual and it still appears to support 72 amps. I had a 90 amp circuit added. Might be worth asking or go into your charger section in the car and see if you can adjust the charge rate above 42 amps
It looks like Tesla has discontinued the 72 amp option in the new Model S this year sometime...
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_insta...

mizunosan | 21. Mai 2019

@farhan assuming that you bought a NEW Model S100D a few days ago, I wouldn't recommend getting the Tesla HPWC unless you plan on buying another Tesla. New Model S only has 48 amp charger onboard, so you're not gaining anything from getting the $500 Tesla HPWC, other than it looks good on your wall. The ONLY reason why I would get the Tesla HPWC is if you have 2 Teslas like we have AND 2 Tesla HPWC to load share a 90+amp circuit. I understand why Tesla went to 48A for the Model S and X now, but many of us actually use the faster speed of a 72A if we drive around a lot for work.

p.c.mcavoy | 21. Mai 2019

@mizunosan -

Even though the new MS 100D only supports 48 amp on-board charger, some might still view that the HPWC does provide benefit if install it on at least a 60 amp circuit. That would support charging at the full 48 amp rate of the on-board charger, representing a 50% increase in charging rate versus only changing at 32 amps as limited by the Gen2 UMC.

I agree with the other benefits you cite that the HPWC potentially provides for someone with multiple vehicles.

redacted | 21. Mai 2019

Even though it's not networked, an HPWC is a good choice and reasonably priced at $500, and of course you don't really need a networked charger with a car that schedules charging and can start and stop from your phone.

An advantage of HPWC is you can have two (or more) of them sharing a circuit in case you have a second vehicle - something I doubt others do nearly as well.

Earl and Nagin ... | 21. Mai 2019

If the Juicebox is available for $549, that's probably the only reasonable networked option. Networked chargers at home make no sense except to bureaucrats who have control issues so most serious charger manufacturers don't bother with them.
Tesla HPWC and Clipper Creek stand out as the best chargers offering greater than 30 amps. The rest of the 30 amp ones are all about the same. If you're ok with 30 amps (which will handle most 'normal' usage) and the power company will cover it, I'd just install a NEMA 14-50, collect the rebate to cover much of the installation costs, and use the mobile connector that came with your car.

rxlawdude | 21. Mai 2019

"Networked chargers at home make no sense except to bureaucrats who have control issues so most serious charger manufacturers don't bother with them."

Or to users who have solar and TOU, and like to know exactly how much their EV charging is costing each month.

Earl and Nagin ... | 21. Mai 2019

@rxlawdude,
There's kind of a Heisenberg Uncertainty relation with knowing how much your EV charging is costing you and how much it costs you. There is a cost to monitoring. Therefore, if you measure it, it will cost you more.
You can also get whole house circuit monitoring service panel and figure out how much you're using on each circuit. That will definitely never pay for itself but you can geek away on the data to your heart's content.
We, on the other hand, have a smart meter from our electrical company so we can see our hourly electrical usage on the web. Since the dominant load is our EV charging from midnight until 5:00 am, we can see our charging costs that way without having to pay additional for monitored, networked charging.

farhan | 22. Mai 2019

Thank you for all the insights.

@ mizunosan yes, it's the new 100D, unfortunately, I am just learning that the NEW new 100D (Raven?) is not what I ended up buying, if that matters. That itself has now put me in a conundrum which will require a separate thread. Apparently, Tesla is now also offering free lifetime supercharging for the model that I bought so I have an email out to the sales person about that too...

I have decided to go with the JuiceBox Pro 40. It does not do the max 48 that HPWC can do, but it's close enough for my needs. I bought the plugin model through Amazon so I will wait to submit the rebate to the energy company and, worst case, I can always return the JuiceBox if it doesn't work out.

Thanks!