Forums

2019 Performance S results y’all wanted?

2019 Performance S results y’all wanted?

Is this the kind of thing y’all were looking for on the new S-

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-p100d-performance-sets-quarter-m...

I’m not a performance person myself, so I have no idea how good or bad those numbers are but according to the site they are a record! I could record my results too :)

Tropopause | 26. Mai 2019

I’d be interested to know what SOC that car had, whether Ludi+ was fully ready, and if launch mode was used. He’s seems like a newbie so I’m thinking the car can do a bit better with an experienced track driver. Very exciting!

Tropopause | 26. Mai 2019

Also as I mentioned in another thread, the really interesting tidbit, nobody mentioned, was the trap speed of 127mph.

PrescottRichard | 26. Mai 2019

Yeah, seemed like that car’s owner was more like me than a real performance lover. There was a comment about carbon fiber wheels (IIRC) that would have sped things up a bit too.

I had a performance related question, at least I think it may be performance related- Is there a relationship between top speed and efficiency when it comes to Teslas? That is- I’d happily have a top speed of 95 if the trade off in top speed gained in battery range from increased efficiency.

My suspicion is that it’s not that simple, but I thought I would ask here since it may be performance related.

TeslaTap.com | 26. Mai 2019

@Prescott - Yes, you could get better low-end performance with a limited top speed. Basically you change the gear ratio on the motor to wheels, which results in even more torque to the wheels. It might not be as much boost as you expect as much of the low end is limited by the traction of the wheels - perhaps up to 30 mph or so. Above 30 mph, the motor's torque is limited, and a lower gear ratio would keep torque at the maximum to a higher speed.

That 30 mph is just a guess - I don't know know the exact threshold where the tire traction is greater than the motor torque. Keep in mind changing the gear ratio is not easy, and I Tesla would have to change the software as well, so it's not a DIY project. Cool idea though and would really boost the 0-60 timing!

PrescottRichard | 26. Mai 2019

That makes sense TT. I’m guessing that more low-end performance wouldn’t automatically translate (and maybe do the opposite) into longer range for a given battery capacity. This is why I keep my car in Chill mode :) Thanks for the info and insight.

My thinking is- I’ll never use the top end speed of my car, or prolly over 90MPH but I would certainly use more milage out of the same battery.

And yeah- this wouldn’t be anything that I could ever do to my car, maybe Rich Rebuilds can do it at some point.