Forums

Hydrogen EXPLOSION Injures reported. H2 cars sales halted

Hydrogen EXPLOSION Injures reported. H2 cars sales halted

Like I've been saying I don't want this in cars as it is like gasoline causing deaths and severe burns.

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/zG9Bxw/eksplosjon-paa-hydrogenstas...

spuzzz123 | 10. Juni 2019

Can’t read it. Struggling w google translate. I guess your headline says all I need to know

dmastro | 10. Juni 2019

I didn't know Tesla produces a hydrogen powered M3 variant.

greg | 10. Juni 2019

This link might make it more understandable

https://norwaytoday.info/news/hydrogen-station-fire-sandvika/

Technically its nothing to do with the M3 forum, although no doubt FUDsters will say otherwise...

I suggest OP move it to the General forum.

finman100 | 10. Juni 2019

says NO injuries. FYI.

C'mon Mike83 you can (and usually) do better than this!

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 10. Juni 2019

Further proof that gasoline is the safer means for powering your car.

Magic 8 Ball | 10. Juni 2019

Fiery car crash on last night's news, no car manufacture was named so no TESLA involved.

Pepperidge | 10. Juni 2019

At least no CO poisoning. Hydrogen is clean, hydrogen fire is almost invisible.

Mike83 | 10. Juni 2019

I read that there were injured and this.shows H2 cars and hydrogen distribution getting more common is dangerous. California gives a 7500 dollar incentive. FUD that hydrogen is competition is the point.
Point is Tesla is much safer vs. gas and hydrogen.

dmastro | 10. Juni 2019

A fuel station caught fire, not a car. No injuries, indicating safety measures to prevent human harm worked. Hydrogen is much lighter than air, so everything basically dissipates straight up. No information as to the cause in order to draw meaningful conclusions either way.

Sounds like hyrodgen FUD to me.

Mike83 | 10. Juni 2019

Never said it's a car, stop twisting the topic. Again the point is so few cars and hydrogen tanks are deployed. It gets very scary especially on the road where there's 500 gasoline fires per day.

lordmiller | 10. Juni 2019

Oh the humanity!!!

Mike83 | 10. Juni 2019

Stop with the lies. From the article

SANDVIKA (VG) Two people were injured when the airbag was triggered by the pressure of the powerful explosion. Police continue to work on site through the night.

ØYSTEIN DAVID JOHANSENSIRI EGGENODA LERAAN

dmastro | 10. Juni 2019

In related news, according to the CDC, there are 4.7M dog bites each year in the US - nearly 13,000 per day. Tesla is obviously safer than dogs. It's very scary especially on the road where they like to chase cars.

Mike83 | 10. Juni 2019

So 1 in 68 chance of getting bite. Not as bad as getting caught in a strong H2 explosion and get this:
Now we have only 200 hydrogen fueling stations in the world and already one explosion that we know of. Don't like those odds esp. with crazy drivers on the road with thousands or more of hydrogen tanks.
I know many hydrogen advocates esp. Toyota don't wish to discuss this.

finman100 | 10. Juni 2019

"No injuries

Silju further informs that the police do not yet know what caused the explosion, but confirms that it took place on the premises of the hydrogen station.

There have been no reports of injuries to people.

“We have not been notified of any injured persons. We are happy about that,” Silju concludes."

Which article is this "injuries from airbags" coming from? I am not seeing any of the 'injuries reported" text? weird.

gballant4570 | 10. Juni 2019

H2 is great, but the fact is that the energy required to reach the point of driving a personal vehicle powered by it is a good bit more than that required to drive an EV. The infrastructure work required to support hydrogen powered personal transport is also far greater than that required to support EV use. Therefore hydrogen is quite a poor choice for widespread personal transport on this planet.

Mike83 | 10. Juni 2019

Apparently they are still fighting the fires maybe sending in robots to combat the blaze. Pipes and tanks of H2 doesn't give me fuzzy warm feelings.

dmastro | 10. Juni 2019

There are a lot more dogs than hydrogen stations on my block.

Another interesting fact - over 1M Americans experience a slip, trip, and fall every year. Walking is definitely much more dangerous than a Tesla.

I may just not go outside anymore.

Mike83 | 10. Juni 2019

I think you should not go alone in your head. It sounds dangerous.

dmastro | 10. Juni 2019

You have no idea.

Too lazy to research but do these H2 cars utilize ICE or do they use hydrogen power cells? Or does it depend on manufacturer? I would imagine the ICE version generate a good dose of NO and NO2 so what’s the point. If I still had a copy of Stangen on my computer I’d run a simulation and figure out how much NO/NO2 is produced.

Magic 8 Ball | 10. Juni 2019

Modern H2 cars are fuel cell.
Extreme high pressure to fuel up and no current technology to make fueling at home remotely practical.

It looks like a really cool idea but compared to EV it’s like Betamax to blue ray.

gballant4570 | 10. Juni 2019

Neomaxizoomdweebie, exactly......no contest at all.

Mike83 | 11. Juni 2019

It appears to be a failed experiment. It might keep have kept some fossil fuel guys in business for distribution of H2 but thus far it is not sustainable and is very expensive. So much easier to have Solar supply electrons DIRECTLY to vehicles and no distribution expense. Economics wins in the end.

gballant4570 | 11. Juni 2019

NZ reveal of first H2 SUV coming soon.... saw an article title, did not read....

Mike83 | 11. Juni 2019

Another fake Tesla killer? I do feel sorry for the people investing so much in H2 but they have plenty of money to waste I guess. Toyota once was involved with Tesla. Perhaps they will reconsider. Just think if they had partnered with Tesla on a large scale. Must be some other factors in play.

wiboater4 | 11. Juni 2019

I think one of the main reasons Toyota wants to go with Hydrogen is to keep those engines with moving parts that need maintenance . They are already set up producing those and it isn't something they want to give up.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 11. Juni 2019

And let's not forget about Natural Gas powered vehicles! I'll bet that's a Tesla killer, too. Just give it time.

Mike83 | 12. Juni 2019
Mike83 | 13. Juni 2019

I wonder how many explosions have not been reported. I had to search for this link. The news media is lacking credibility as evidenced by Tesla FUD. But they ignore gas/diesel and now hydrogen dangers. Journalism is dead.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190523000739

Mike83 | 13. Juni 2019

Found another one not on mainstream media. Where is the NYtimes? I don't read them anymore as they are so anti Tesla it is like propaganda.

https://abc7news.com/hydrogen-explosion-shakes-santa-clara-neighborhood/...

kevin_rf | 13. Juni 2019

We had a propane filling station go up just around the corner (for grills, not cars) go up last summer.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/06/18/2-injured-north-andover-propane-t...

Only Tesla link, I get my Tesla inspect at it.

Mike83 | 13. Juni 2019

Nikola is making H2 Semis or is planning to. I wonder if they still want to do this. If they go full EV Semi like Tesla they might need to get batteries from Tesla which is constrained at present as demands exceeds production.

Mike83 | 13. Juni 2019

@kevin_rf Thanks for the link. When we put in Solar Panels we got rid of propane and converted to all Electric: induction range, heat pump water heater, etc. and feel much safer without that explosive tank near our home.
They needed a bomb squad to help in putting out that fire and they were lucky someone with experience was driving by at the time or it could have been worse.
We sleep better now with no fossil fuels or gas in our garage or near our home.

Magic 8 Ball | 13. Juni 2019

Thirty percent of the world's oil crude passes thru' the staits. Sanctions = Squeeze. Get ahead of the curve and buy an electric car and put solar panels on your roof if feasible.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-tension-iran-us-navy-114936853.html

kevin_rf | 13. Juni 2019

I still remember when someone drove a forklift through a propane tank inside a Buffalo NY warehouse back in 1983. We where a good twenty miles away, and the whole house shook. The five firefighters that had just arrived on site where not as lucky.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 13. Juni 2019

gballant4570: Yeah. The Hydrogen Fuel infrastructure is a concern. They cost $2,000,000-to-$5,000,000 to install each site. They are largely being funded by the Great State of California, to the tune of $200,000,000 over ten years at $20,000,000 per year. They are being built by the Government, so they can get the appropriate exemptions from zoning laws, that would ordinarily forbid such facilities and mechanisms being set up in residential neighborhoods or near schools. This alleviates liability concerns for the petroleum firms that run those sites in case something goes wrong. Proponents of Hydrogen Fuel completely ignore that the stuff catches fire at around 75° Fahrenheit. Strange that companies that promote their profitability as a 'strength' refuse to pay for the expansion, installation, and implementation of the infrastructure they have chosen to insist upon being a necessity for... 'The FUTURE!' Meanwhile, Tesla has paid for their own implementation, installation, and expansion of the Supercharger network they purport as a necessity for... 'The FUTURE!' Hmmm...

TeslaTap.com | 13. Juni 2019

H2 cars are really a poor EV connected to a fuel cell. More complex than a hybrid, and less efficient than an EV. Less interior space than an EV too as tanks and batteries take up room. I have yet to hear any features or benefits over an EV, but lots of negatives.

TeslaTap.com | 13. Juni 2019

H2 cars are really a poor EV connected to a fuel cell. More complex than a hybrid, and less efficient than an EV. Less interior space than an EV too as tanks and batteries take up room. I have yet to hear any features or benefits over an EV, but lots of negatives.

Magic 8 Ball | 13. Juni 2019

I have a neighbor (and coincidentally ex co-worker) who leases a Mirai. Apparently they are having so much trouble putting people in the seat that he claims they are practically letting him have it for free. This guy is a Phd physicist and very frugal. He has asked about our TESLA a few times and we have a bit of ribbing back and forth.

His latest anti-Tesla rant was that owners cannot back down on firmware versions (I.E. no old version stored we can revert to). Chris never ceases to amaze.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 13. Juni 2019

Not to mention H2 takes a lot of energy to crack from fossil fuels or split from H2O. Now that batteries are becoming more and more energy dense there is no point is using such an inefficient fuel. And dangerous.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 13. Juni 2019

Neomaxizoomdweebie: Such a 'shame' that, as far as we know, no one ever figured out how to burn seawater for transportation, right?

It amazed me the numer of people who intimate or infer that Hydrogen Fuel cars literally run on Water. Makes me wonder if they evrr passed 10th Grade Chemistry class.

Almost, but not quite, as bad as those who think hybrids literally convert gasoline energy directly into electricity.

"Finally, an electric car that runs on gas." -- I think both Toyota and GM used versions of this tagline.

kevin_rf | 14. Juni 2019

Red, didn't realize they where limiting the liability of these stations. When was the last time the government limited the liability of a power source? Oh yeah, nuclear power plants in the 60's and 70's. That does not bode well.

I do love how everyone believes H2 comes from water and not steam reforming of natural gas.

Magic 8 Ball | 14. Juni 2019

This morning's news unveiled the new H2 fuel cell ferry boat coming to the bay area. Yippie!

Mike83 | 14. Juni 2019

Perhaps they will make Blimps again with H2 or elect a dictator? Reinvent the wheel without knowledge of the past is brain dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

Magic 8 Ball | 14. Juni 2019

Well they struck out in the air, they struck out on the land, so why not try again on water.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

H2 can make sense in a remotely located power station, IMO, but high pressure H2 in the vicinity of victims does not seem like a good idea to me.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 14. Juni 2019

kevin_rf: There is no officially announced deal sidestepping potential liability. But, I lived in California for over three decades and became acquainted with how certain shady non-sensical government 'deals' are done there. Like, how the entire State borders an ocean, but politicians negotiated a 'deal' to import water, in perpetuity, via pipeline from Colorado, instead of using the water desalinization and purification process that was developed in California and maybe getting Petroleum companies to pay for them, maybe at rate of three water desalinization plants for every offshore drilling rig allowed.

I do not doubt that in the interest of convenience California paid all fees for inspection, costs of construction, and cleared all permits by using imminent domain to get past any challenges to their installation. I'm certain that though the sign at these public Hydrogen Fuel sites might read 'SHELL' or 'EXXON' or whatever, those are technically just tenants and they are actually government sites that bear no liability in case of accident due to leak, fire, or explosion. The various Petroleum companies and HFCEV manufacturers would have insisted, despite their claims of profitability, that since California requires they make zero emission cars available there it was 'unfair' and 'too costly' to expect them to endure the cost of construction and insurance as well, they had taken on enough 'risk' simply by building these expensive, experimental cars, that might not even sell.

The usual accompanying crocodile tears regarding restrictive regulations undoubtedly abounded as well.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 14. Juni 2019

@kevin_rf,
H2 is primarily produced from NatGas due to cost. Splitting H2 from H2O via electrolysis costs around $3/Kg according to wikipedia. NatGas, around $1.50.

Mike83 | 14. Juni 2019

H2 is obviously a way for fossil fuel distribution and production to make a buck but it sucks for the environment.
I hope California halts H2 incentives as there are many more issues to spend money on like incentives for battery storage and Photovoltaics.

Pages