Forums

Speaker Grid Under Front Right Bumper?

Speaker Grid Under Front Right Bumper?

Recently I was looking under my front bumper because I thought I scraped the bottom while parking, I was pleased to find that I did not. However, while going through my inspection I noticed that under the right side there is what looked to be a speaker grid, which I found odd until I remembered the federal law going into affect in 2020 that requires EV’s to emit a sound at low speeds. Is that what this grid is?

M3phan | 13. Juli 2019

That’s what some believe it’s for, yes. Youtuber DÆrik mentions this/speculated here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rqTThDlMnAU

Manny13z | 13. Juli 2019

Thanks @M3phan. That raises another question, why wouldn’t they install the “Noise maker” at the factory? What are they going to do when it’s required, do it as a recall safety item?

Lonestar10_1999 | 13. Juli 2019

For all we know, it could be a software enabled feature for a future firmware update. There is no mention of it in the manual.

M3phan | 13. Juli 2019

I personally hate the idea but hope if it must be done that it ends up being a cool electronic “thrumming”.

Wormtown Kris | 13. Juli 2019

I didn't think that law was retroactive. I think new cars will need it. I didn't think you had to put a noisemaker on your 2013 Model S or 2015 Leaf or 2018 Model 3. Kind of like 1980s cars without the third brakelight….

rxlawdude | 13. Juli 2019

Correct. Cannot be ex post facto.
New vehicles only.

Magic 8 Ball | 13. Juli 2019

Not legal to drive pre-seatbelt cars without seatbelts.

Magic 8 Ball | 13. Juli 2019

For children in CA, that is (maybe different in different states).

creativeguy | 13. Juli 2019

Comment first, google later, eh?

reimul | 13. Juli 2019

I understand that EU regulations planning to make noise maker up,to speed of 30 Km/h a legal requirement in the Eiropean Uninon.

TranzNDance | 13. Juli 2019

I hope they make it a fun feature by playing sounds like horse's clippity clop, or the music of a great white shark stalking its prey.

Magic 8 Ball | 14. Juli 2019

@creativeguy Good call, yes I thought the seatbelt law was for everyone but it turns out to be for kids only (phew I was saved). Makes my counterpoint relative tho', 'eh.

Magic 8 Ball | 14. Juli 2019

Oh, I can tell you that when I went to insure my '51 my insurance agent was pleased to see the seatbelts since he would not have insured without them.

leo33 | 14. Juli 2019

@TranzNDance I suppose I could deal with that. This also needs to be one of the options: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

andy | 14. Juli 2019

UK law for all new BEVs is that they will need to make a noise at low speed. From (I think) 2021 pre-existing cars will have to have it retrofitted.

First time I heard the noise in my Leaf I was in an enclosed car park last year with a window open. Thought there was something wrong with the car! There is a button to toggle it off and that is legal.

ElectricAlex | 14. Juli 2019

I have not looked, but could the “speaker grid” you speak of be the cover for the passenger side radar?

ColoDriver | 15. Juli 2019

@leo33
If the regulations don't make the Jetson's flying car sound required then something is seriously wrong with this world.

sheldon.mike1010 | 15. Juli 2019

#ElecAlex: It's the lidar/radar brain box. Needs slats to breathe.

SnowZA | 15. Juli 2019

@reimul that regulation came into effect here (Netherlands) beginning of this month. However, it doesn't affect cars already on sale - any new cars that come onto the market now are required to have the sound. So as I saw it explained somewhere else, the cars currently being sold here don't need to suddenly start making the sound. Any new variants that get registered will have to though - for instance, we can't get the Performance model with a tow hitch. If that gets added as an option, that will count as a new registered type, and will have to make a sound, while the normal Performance model is an existing type and won't have to. Next year some time (not sure of the date), that grace period will end, and all new cars being sold will have to have the noise maker, even currently registered types. There was no mention of it being retrofitted to existing cars, though.