Forums

Blind Spot Detection

Blind Spot Detection

I own a 2018 Tesla S75D firmware version 2019 20.4.3. The red displayed blind spot is nice but is there also supposed to be an aural alert? I just had a close call and really would have liked to hear an aural alert while merging, turn signal on, and a car in the blind spot.

EVRider | 17. Juli 2019

You get an audible alert if the red blind spot warning is displayed and you start to change lanes anyway.

F3 | 17. Juli 2019

Ok...I guess that’s a problem. I did not get any aural warning at all. I even tested it driving along side a truck. I put my turn signal on with the truck to my right. The lane indicator turn RED but no aural alert at all.

EVRider | 18. Juli 2019

Like I said, you have to actually start to change lanes to trigger the alert, meaning you have to start crossing the lane marker. Using the turn signal isn’t enough. Note that if your navigation audio volume is low or muted, you might not hear the blind spot alert.

rickrparker | 18. Juli 2019

While you get a Nav instruction your volume wheel works to + or - the NAV volume. Won't affect the radio volume but you gotta be ready adjust before the Nav instruction is finished. Just like the Mercedes S Class I just got rid of for my MS.

Cheers

EVRider | 18. Juli 2019

@rickrparker: There's also a volume control on the nav screen, so you change it even when it's not speaking.

sr.smr | 19. Juli 2019

I may be wrong, but don't you also have to enable the Parking Chimes option under Security to receive the audible alert?

EVRider | 19. Juli 2019

@sr.smr: I don’t think so. The blind spot chime setting is Controls > Autopilot > Blind Spot Warning Chime.

sr.smr | 19. Juli 2019

Thank you!

F3 | 21. Juli 2019

OK...I understand now. I will recheck all the above but I remember doing this when Blind Spot was first activated. But I am disappointed Tesla can’t give an aural alert prior to actually driving toward a potential collision. All other cars I own, provide a warning if you put your turn signal on and a car is in the “Blind Spot” area. That Aural alert works as a great additional backup IMO.

EVRider | 21. Juli 2019

@F3: There are situations where you get false blind spot warnings where you wouldn’t want the audible alert. For example, if you’re in a left turn lane but not the leftmost lane, where you’re turning but not changing lanes. I don’t mind having the audible alert as long as it’s optional.

F3 | 21. Juli 2019

I don’t know how Mercedes has their software coded but its Blind Spot warning works great. I do know on Atlanta highways with 8 lanes and an average speed of 75+ mph, I would prefer an nice loud aural tone if I’m about to rub metal with my tun signal on and I miss the car in my blind spot.

F3 | 21. Juli 2019

I don’t know how Mercedes has their software coded but its Blind Spot warning works great. I do know on Atlanta highways with 8 lanes and an average speed of 75+ mph, I would prefer a nice loud aural tone if I’m about to rub metal with my tun signal on and I miss the car in my blind spot.