Forums

S75D punished me to drive all the way home today "Auto Steer Dissable for remainder of trip"

S75D punished me to drive all the way home today "Auto Steer Dissable for remainder of trip"

First long enough trip to use a SC, so was cool. Amazing how quick it pumps wattage into my cottage.
I got to drive it the 200+ miles both ways (wife's car).
Was so enamored with the auto steer on the way home, it had to remind me to hold the wheel-->often.

After multiple scoldings, it beeped beeped beeped "Auto Steer no available for remainder of trip. To many non compliance to hold the wheel"

:(

Icon for auto steer never came up again for the last 2+ hours of the ride home.

Guess if we got off the highway and shut it off and on again, I could have had her back. But was tooling along at 70mph and didn't want to stop so had to steer like all the other schmucks.

Coo

PS: my fears of milage and SC and should we bring the charge cord have been watered down. If it says I'll get there with 20% left (say 50 miles of full 250 range) that is indeed what it ends up. Dont worry about it.

Bighorn | 11. August 2019

Same thing happens if you go over 90 on autosteer. Time out until you cycle off/on.

DTsea | 11. August 2019

Were you holding the wheel or not?

2015P90DI | 11. August 2019

If you want it back, just have to stop, open the door, lift your butt off the site and close the door and drive off again. It is a "per drive" penalty. Once you stop and start a new "drive", then it resets and lets you use it again. So up to you if it's worth stopping for 2 seconds to get it back or to not stop and drive yourself.

isagalaev | 11. August 2019

Honestly? That serves you right. I don't get it why people refuse to hold the wheel. No it doesn't make you look cooler, and no matter how much you try to convince yourself it doesn't make your car "more" self-driving.

What is real, is the harm you do to all the rest of us who is okay with leaving in real world. Because every once in a while when another dork looking at their phone gets unlucky and drives into a concrete divider Tesla haters get their chance to maintain the shitstorm in public news which makes Tesla spend time on mitigating it instead of focusing on making the car better. Thanks for that :-(

Daisy the Road ... | 11. August 2019

I get chastised all the time by the nanny. We have several stretches of ruler straight freeway. The nanny objects to me steering straight down the straight road. It is a stupid system. It should be watching the driver's eyes, and verifying attention to task. It could even ensure verify that you are looking at the objects that is perceives in the path.

Yodrak. | 11. August 2019

"Guess if we got off the highway ..."

Your highway doesn't have a shoulder?

wayneco | 11. August 2019

Pull over to the side of the road, put it in park. put it in drive, begin driving resume autopilot.

murphyS90D | 12. August 2019

Or keep your hands on the wheel and provide resistance when it turns the wheel. On a perfectly straight (doesn't exist in PA) road apply very slight torque to the wheel periodically. You will never see the warning.

It is NOT a self driving car. If you want to stay alive, pay attention the same as if it wasn't enabled.

inconel | 12. August 2019

The "stop, open door, lift butt off seat" sequence is too complex. As others have said just need to be put in Park.

2015P90DI | 12. August 2019

@iconel. Nope. Just putting it in park doesn't reset the driving session. The other option is get out of the car, or lift your butt off the seat so the car thinks you got out. trip data for this drive needs to reset to Zero. If it doesn't reset, AP doesn't reset either.

EVRider | 12. August 2019

@2015P90DI: I have to wonder how you know that... :-)

Putting it in park is sufficient to reset Autosteer if it turned off because you exceeded 90 — that happened to me. Maybe what you describe is necessary if Autosteer tuens off because you ignored the nags.

grins.va | 12. August 2019

@2015P90DL. Nope. Just putting it in park resets it. Put back in drive and go. Read the owners manual.

Anthony J. Parisio | 12. August 2019

Yup! Putting it in park resets the car.

CooHead | 12. August 2019

OK then, I did get some response on this then.

I am indeed the a-hole for putting the rest of the planet in danger for not holding the wheel.

Issue is, I was. As stated, I don't drive the car much. Wife drives it every day 102 miles round trip to work. When I do get to drive it, will be short trips in town. I have only had a couple chances to try auto steer. (thought I pointed that out in first couple sentences in my post).

So get on the road, auto steer and get reminded to put pressure on wheel. If you don't, it'll beep about it. That beep is a hard warning. It is a documentable offense to the car. The light visual reminder isn't.

I just didn't give it strong enough weight on the wheel when I saw the light chiming. My weight of hand on the wheel was not heavy enough....or to late. Came after the beep beep beep.

So ut goes, I was being a bit cheaky in the fact that auto steer was taken away, No need to pull over on the shoulder or off the highway to reactivate it. I am surely capable of driving a car. I'mm 55 years old and put many miles on and have been for many years.

Just gave my Crystler 300C 5.7hemi AWD to my son....with 246.000 miles on it. He will get to see it roll to quarter million. I got wife's Ford Explorer, she got new S75D. She understands the auto steer better than I do....but I'm learning

Coo

Johnc,
It’s cool. I think people were coming down hard because most people don’t understand Tesla. When one look at a Tesla most see just a car. It is not just a car it is a robot. Learning how to interact with a robot can save your life and other peoples lives. That’s the main purpose of the robot, “to save lives through cleaning up the environment and providing a safer driving experience .”

gridley1950 | 12. August 2019

Just got back from a 900km trip in my AP1 2015 P85D. Got the odd warning, but never close to a shut down. Very relaxing way to drive!
Pay attention. The system works!

GHammer | 12. August 2019

Ahhh...this just got me reminiscing about the old days when I could go 30 miles on a straight freeway and never touch the wheel.

gridley1950 | 12. August 2019

Haha! Here in coastal/mountainous B.C. I don't think we have even 1 mile of straight highway. But the Hope Princeton highway is soo much fun to drive in a Tesla!

Pungoteague_Dave | 12. August 2019

@isagalaev "Honestly? That serves you right. I don't get it why people refuse to hold the wheel. "

Typical fanboi response. You have no evidence OP wasn't holding the wheel. It is perfectly possible (usually in my case) for the nag to happen while holding the wheel. Time for some folks around here to lose the moral superiority attitude.

Pungoteague_Dave | 12. August 2019

Udate: OP was holding the wheel.

thranx | 12. August 2019

People dis autosteer all the time.

I have to say I never use auto steer on any non-highway road. Over a year ago I tried it on a non-highway road and it scared the hell out of me. Last Monday however I used it on some country roads where there was traffic going in opposite directions to each other. I am truly impressed! It acted much more like a human being. It did everything I would’ve done. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Yodrak. | 12. August 2019

"I am indeed the a-hole for putting the rest of the planet in danger for not holding the wheel."

Don't be so melodramatic. Trump may be capable of putting the planet in danger, but don't give yourself so much credit. :-)

"this just got me reminiscing about the old days when I could go 30 miles on a straight freeway and never touch the wheel."

Your alignment guy was one of a kind.

"It is perfectly possible (usually in my case) for the nag to happen while holding the wheel."

True. Tesla' method of determining whether or not one has their hands on the wheel is not directly checking on one's hands are on the wheel. One has to do more than have their hands on the wheel to 'pass the test'.

gridley1950 | 13. August 2019

I think the message on my dash was something like, "Apply light pressure to the steering wheel." A slight nudge and it would go away. Works great IMO.

GHammer | 13. August 2019

"Your alignment guy was one of a kind."

Funny but in the early days of Autopilot the nags were situational and almost non-existent. If you were going the speed limit, on a straight road, in minimal traffic, there were almost no nags.