Forums

Rear-facing child seat took a chunk off of driver/passanger seat?

Rear-facing child seat took a chunk off of driver/passanger seat?

When I first got my Model X, I took extra precautions to make sure the kiddos didn't mess anything up - seat covers under the car seats, seat protectors over the driver/passanger seats (to not get scuffs from kicking), etc. - so I was surprised to find that the one thing that didn't even occur to me badly messed up the driver and passanger seat: a rear-facing child seat, properly installed, seems to have rubbed off chunks of the passenger and driver seats simply from rubbing up against it - I was shocked, as it's a fabric-covered plastic car seat, and I'd expect the seat material to be durable enough to handle what seemed like a common use case. Has anyone else experienced this? See pictures @ https://twitter.com/iBringBalance/status/1161774394093506561

jimglas | 16. August 2019

troll flagged

jimglas | 16. August 2019

sorry, wrong thread

Triggerplz | 16. August 2019

Ok as I was about to throw my Challenge flag :-)

lilbean | 16. August 2019

Even though the seat may have been properly installed, it was mashing up against the seat in front of it.

marcos | 19. August 2019

@lilbean yes, that's kinda what child seats do - you can't install a rear-facing child seat (which is required by law for kids of a certain size) and not have it rub up against the front seats.

More importantly, if Teslas are incompatible with rear-facing child seats, that's fine - but this should be clearly messaged (and at the very least, as this is a luxury car, they could include a cheapo ugly protector to put on the seat with a note to the effect of "if you're installing a rear-facing child seat, use these, or you'll destroy your seats!")

marcos | 19. August 2019

Also, to be clear, it wasn't "mashing up" against the front seats - rubbing up against them, yes.

marcos | 19. August 2019

Here's what service said (i.e. they saw the car seat, it wasn't placing force or jammed up against the seat, nor mashing up against it; but it was rubbing against it)

"Concern: Customer: Fabric on the front seats is coming apart. Determined seat wear is due to child seat installed in center of second row rubbing against seat bolster. No further labor."

jimglas | 19. August 2019

sound like user error