Forums

Autopilot

Autopilot

Driving car on Freeway, no other cars around approaching and overpass, car slammed on the brake. Any ideas why that would happen?

murphyS90D | 16. August 2019

Shadow cast by the overpass confused the car.

johnson.todd.r | 16. August 2019

Yes, sounds like phantom braking due to the overpass and possible shadows on the road. Phantom braking is one of the reasons why I disengage autopilot, or keep my foot over the accelerator, if someone is following close behind me.

2015P90DI | 17. August 2019

It's a computer, computers make mistakes. Auto Pilot is in "beta" mode. Full Self Driving hasn't been released for a reason. As JFK said, "because they are hard". Developing self driving tech is not easy. Computers are only as smart as the humans who program them

Golfnspace | 17. August 2019

Phantom braking much too often when new lune access to car pool lane or adjacent cars overtaking

kawdennis | 17. August 2019

I’am still driving my 2013 P85, when we get real self driving (I’am gussying maybe 2 years) That’s when I will by a new PXXXD Dennis

dougk71 | 18. August 2019

@2015P90DI
I get the point you are making. Nevertheless the Tesla computer is a learning device. It uses a neural net and in someway can be considered as reprogramming itself to adapt to new information. The apps like Siri weren't exactly coded they were taught to recognize speech. The Tesla car computer is being further taught how to drive by all of us as we drive with the current versions.

Anthony J. Parisio | 18. August 2019

Yes, by all of us who have self driving hardware the entire fleet is learning because of us. This is what will make self driving happen soon. Not by us waiting for them to program it because they are not programming it.

murphyS90D | 18. August 2019

My AP1 car isn't learning anything. I drive through a place where the road makes a 90° turn to the left. Unfortunately there is a driveway straight ahead. It slows for the turn and just at the point where the turn starts it tries to accelerate and I turn the wheel myself and hit the brake. It has been doing it for over three years exactly the same way.

Self-driving will not happen soon. They have no solution for heavy rain or snow other than to pull off of the road and park until the sun comes out and melts the snow.

EVRider | 18. August 2019

@murphyS90D: I have to wonder why you're still trying to use AP at that turn after having it not work for 3 years.

I'm not, I'm using TACC and blindly hoping that someday it will work. The slow down works fine at a 45° turn on the same road. I don't use AP since it does so many stupid things, I "play" with it. It has never learned anything from my driving. I have the same MobilEye camera / processor in my other car and it makes the same mistakes.

@murphyS90D: I wonder if Tesla is actually uploading driving data from AP1 cars anymore. Your experience doesn't prove that they don't, but I have to wonder.

bruntonma | 18. August 2019

My AP1 very rarely will phantom brake, not frequent enough to be a more than a minor annoyance.
I guess AP2 and up are now more capable than AP1, but my good ol' AP1 has been rock-solid since the day I got the car. It's my favorite feature of the car.
I live in fear that someday one of these OTA updates will do something that will damage AP1 performance.

RedJ | 18. August 2019

I though phantom breaking had bean broadly solved. I never really had much of an issues with it in my late 2016 model S. 52k miles with over half of it in autopilot

Fortunately, I’ve never encountered sudden unexpected braking with either AP1 or EAP/FSD, but I can understand why it freaks out those that do. I have had both AP1 and EAP slow down unnecessarily because they thought a car ahead of me in the next lane was crossing over into my lane, when it wasn’t, but that wasn’t sudden.

I've had several instances of shadows from tall trees activating the emergency breaking warnings, red car on dash and audible alarm. Since my foot is near the accelerator pedal a quick press overrides the warnings.

sentabo | 18. August 2019

I've had three or four phantom braking instances over the course of my last two road trips. It is a minor annoyance, but nothing to get worked up over. If you're "at the ready" you simply step on the gas to override it and move on.

That said, it will be nice when it is corrected with a future update.

PagemakersS75 | 19. August 2019

Phantom braking was fixed for me and then it has come back with a vengeance about 4 updates ago when we got “navigate on Autopilot” here in the UK.

sentabo | 19. August 2019

Can't believe I said "step on the gas." :)