Forums

I Finally Got a Tesla Loaner.

I Finally Got a Tesla Loaner.

With all the griping that's been going on about Tesla's customer service, I'm happy to report that my local Service Centre here in San Diego still treats me in much the same way as before, which is very well indeed.

Our Model X suffered some water damage in the roof liner above the driver's seat, probably due to the heavy rainfall we received last winter in Southern California. I was finally able to to bring the car in for repair yesterday. Not expecting very much anymore in the way of customer service, imagine my surprise when I was handed the key fob to a December 2018 build Model S75D! Still in relatively good cosmetic condition, about 10,000 miles, but no A/P.

Providentially, in over two years of ownership, I've not had much occasion to bring in any of our Teslas for extended stays at the service centre, but when I did, I had always gotten a dreaded ICE vehicle - until now.

Our Model X will not be available to me until this weekend, or maybe after Labour Day. In the meantime I'm happily driving around in my Tesla S loaner...is it strange that I took the time to give it a good hand wash and interior vacuum on my driveway? My neighbours certainly think I'm weird...I wouldn't have even considered washing my previous loaners, a BMW convertible, a Volvo and a Dodge.

lilbean | 29. August 2019

Haha! I did the same thing! I've had eight Tesla loaners, one of which was brand new. It was a P100D S with only 130 miles on it. My SC is so nice to me!!

avesraggiana | 29. August 2019

@lilbean. Hahaha! Oh, good. I'm not the only weird one.

We are a rare breed. The SC told me they never had anyone do that before. I believe in leaving things better than you found them. I cleaned the cupholders and removed the stains on the leather.

inconel | 29. August 2019

So nice of you!

sbeggs | 29. August 2019

San Diego Service has treated us great for almost six years, including meeting with us in Oct to Dec 2013 as we were researching buying the Model S.

We do not wash the loaners, but always plug them in each night and charge as we would our T.

:o)

Triggerplz | 29. August 2019

Tesla of Cherry hill New Jersey now has some many S loaners it’s hard to get a parking spot outside

Triggerplz | 29. August 2019

Oops “So many”
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cornellio | 29. August 2019

That's cool. I'm dreaming of the day I have to bring it in for an extended and get a P100D loaner. The only time I had a loaner it was a lame ICE car.

I was at a service center yesterday and it seemed like everyone was just getting Uber credits-- no loaners. Maybe I should move to San Diego.

Teslapalooza | 31. August 2019

Good to know loaners are back! It looks like Elon came through on his promise he made in Twitter on this one. I hope he also comes through on his tweet regarding MCU1->MCU2 upgrade for a price for those who want it. I will take it if it is 'reasonably' priced. My MCU is getting uglier by the day with the yellow band getting wider over time. They say they will not replace it, nor do they have the supposed Tool they are developing yet for removing the yellowing.

TeslaTap.com | 31. August 2019

As far as I can tell, Loaners have always been available (for the most part) for warranty work that takes more than a day. If it's only a day, then uber or lift credits given or you can wait for the work to be done. I'm sure there are cases where they may be out of Model S loaners, but that seems rare nowadays. I sure it varies somewhat with the location. I happen to have an MS loaner right now.

@Teslapalooza - Another owner stated MCU2 retrofit is available, $3K. I haven't confirmed it. Tool for display fix is due out in Nov/Dec. Still unknown if this is a permanent fix or not.

ratchet | 31. August 2019

In April I was happy to find that the local Service Center (Tyco Road in N Virginia) used Enterprise which had just purchased about 70 MS (and only 6 MX) for loaners. However, when I dropped off my MX last Monday for door adjustments under warranty, I was informed that their new policy now is to issue Uber credit ($400 value) for repairs up to 48 hours with a loaner for longer periods. The other "option" was to pay the Tesla special rate at Enterprise for a rental. Doesn't seem like there is a standard approach.

Teslapalooza | 02. September 2019

Thanks TeslaTap. Will check with SC again. Last time I checked was in early July, and they said they have not heard of any such MCU2 replacements. The only replacements they have heard of was replacing it with another MCU that is not susceptible to yellowing - for a price. As for the Too,l they said Aug/Sep. I guess they have run into technical issues with the Tool (another way to say it did not work) and that might explain the further delay.

TeslaTap.com | 02. September 2019

@Teslapalooza - Actually one owner had the yellow fix done when the first prototype tool just happened to be in the service center. She said it worked fine. I suspect the delay is gearing up low volume production beyond the one prototype for the 500+ service centers and mobile techs.

I'll try and get an update on the MCU2 retrofit in the next few days.

utalerebaba77 | 03. September 2019

Woah thats cool congrats !! This car is really nice!!

utalerebaba77 | 04. September 2019

In April I was happy to find that the local Service Center (Tyco Road in N Virginia) used Enterprise which had just purchased about 70 MS (and only 6 MX) for loaners. However, when I dropped off my MX last Monday for door adjustments under warranty, I was informed that their new policy now is to issue Uber credit ($400 value) for repairs up to 48 hours with a loaner for longer periods. The other "option" was to pay the Tesla special rate at Enterprise for a rental. Doesn't seem like there is a standard approach. https://discord.software/ https://fetlife.vip/ https://vshare.onl/

toaly agree!