Forums

Hurricane evac, Range dropped!

Hurricane evac, Range dropped!

I live in Savannah, GA. Currently under mandatory evac.

I drove around 50 miles yesterday prepping for evac, and everything was fine.

Woke up this morning to a significant drop in estimated range. With my SR+, April 2019 delivery, just over 6000 miles, I have been averaging 209-211 miles range at 90% charge. I charge to 90% nightly, in my garage.

Over the past couple months I have seen a gradual drop in estimated range from 216mi @ 90%SOC down to around 21pm @ 90%.

This morning my estimated range was 188 miles. At 90%.

By extrapolating, I calculate the 100% SOC range estimate has dropped from 234 to 209. That is a drop of 31 miles since taking delivery.

That would be a 13% loss of range for 6000 miles over four and a half months. Am I right?

Hounded down a service advisor throughout TeslaChat. OTA diagnostics revealed nothing. Said to check in with my Service Center after the hurricane. (My SC is in Jacksonville. Also under mandatory evac)

I know range estimates are just that. Estimates.

But at what point should I worry I have a bum battery?

catoriswann | 03. September 2019

Followup: the evac trip was 250 miles away. I usually never need more than one supercharge on this trip. Today I had to stop 3 times to make it 250 miles.

Followup: the evac trip was 250 miles away. I usually never need more than one supercharge on this trip. Today I had to stop 3 times to make it 250 miles.

gevelmarrero | 03. September 2019

You capacity might have been extended due to weather. Therefore % is passed on capacity, this happened before in Florida during the last Hurricane.

CST | 03. September 2019

But he's saying his capacity was reduced.

jstat10 | 03. September 2019

What is your Wh/mile? AFAIK estimated range is based on observed Wh/mile, and rated range is based upon Wh/mile being some fixed value, e.g. 242 Wh/mile

@jsat10 my wh/mi rate is 241 lifetime, this trip average was 228.

rxlawdude | 03. September 2019

Sounds like a failed battery module.

beaver | 03. September 2019

Did you buy a SR that was downgraded from SR*?

gwolnik | 03. September 2019

Instead of looking at miles, look at KWH of power. The mileage range is adjusted for how you recently drove, but the actual power stored should be more consistent. Temperature will also affect battery storage somewhat.

catoriswann | 04. September 2019

Gwolnik, where do you see stored energy in kwh?

Tesla's estimated range is a factor of stored energy times a constant 240 wh/mi, as that is its EPA rating. I know actual range differs from this based on consumption, but Teslas do not modify that range estimate based on driving habits. The car does not learn your habits and adjust its estimate.

What this means is you can tell battery capacity by dividing the estimated range by the SOC percentage with relative accuracy regardless of whether or not you are at 25% SOC or 75% SOC. The number will be the same at both states of charge.

Even if it did base the range estimate on driving habits, I have been reducing my wh/mi recently, not increasing. Every trip I keep the wh/mi tab open and strive for under 240 by the time I reach my destination.

My wh/mi average since arriving in NC is actually 205.

So I am growing more convinced I have a bad battery module.

@beaver, even if I had, Tesla was unlocking software limited models during evac. It would be rather crappy of them to enforce the cap during emergency evacuation.

Lorenzryanc | 04. September 2019

If it was a bad module, wouldn't the OTA diagnostic say so? If your usage is ~ 250 wh/mi, something else must be eating the range. Any extra idling? Sitting in the car w/ AC on for unordinary amount of time? Time in Park will not calculate into the wh/mi IIRC.

No. The drop happened overnight in my garage. No sentry mode, no cabin overheat protection.

And if it were something draining charge, my 100% SOC would remain constant while my remaining charge went down. I would still be able to charge to the full 240 miles, which I can't. A full charge is only 209 miles.

That is a drop in capacity, not a charge drain issue.

And it played out in the real world over a 250 mile trip. It is not a factor of some algorithm messing up a range estimate.

jjgunn | 04. September 2019

Lower Left corner..swipe right. You scroll down & see kW used since last charge. Max for SR is 60 kW I believe.

Don't understand why you had to stop 3 times to charge? Or was the 3rd time once you arrived 250 miles later?

What was SoC when you started & when you arrived at charging station? And how many actual miles in between?

Jjgunn, Thanks...more math for me!

And it was 2 fifteen minute charges and a half hour charge as opposed to the one 45 minute charge it normally takes for this trip. It could not make the 181 miles to my usual supercharger at the halfway point.

And it was 2 fifteen minute charges and a half hour charge as opposed to the one 45 minute charge it normally takes for this trip. It could not make the 181 miles to my usual supercharger at the halfway point.

So it currently states 5kwh used since last charge, 26.8 miles driven, 195wh/mile. Current SOC is 70% with 147 miles estimated range remaining. I last charged it to 90%.

Does that mean those 5 kilowatt hours represent 20% of my capacity? If so, I'm only getting 25 kilowatt hours. I must be miscalculating.

andy.connor.e | 04. September 2019

@catoriswann

If you hit the "SAVE" button multiple times when you post your comment, it will post the amount of comments as clicks you make. You only need to hit it once.

I think it also does it if you hit back...

andy.connor.e | 04. September 2019

lol probably. Forums are pretty bad. I once got an error and i refreshed the page, then the comment posted. xd

courson01 | 16. Oktober 2019

Same issue here in Jax, FL. I have a SR+ and noticed a 20 mile drop in range (240-220 max now @ 100%) I think they messed up and upgraded SR's and downgraded SR+'s. I chatted with someone on tesla chat, and he stated there was a config change update on 9/3/19 @ 7:00 pm. Reading the forums ive seen a lot of owners experiencing the issue. I think we need to all keep bringing this issue to telsla, or they will not change it. After the chat, the rep came back with something completely irrelevant about charging consistently between 50-70% causes the range estimator to be off. The thing is I charge to 90% almost daily while at work, so this cannot be the issue. I think they messed up and do not want to own up.

catoriswann | 16. Oktober 2019

In the same boat, but with the SR config. Brutal they decided to impose the limit during mandatory evac, dispute Elon saying all limits would be lifted for those in evacuation zones.

At least we got free supercharging.

catoriswann | 16. Oktober 2019

..in South Georgia btw.

courson01 | 17. Oktober 2019

I spoke with another telsa rep via chat, said she saw my issue and was reporting it to advanced vehicle configuration or support and to give them 5-7 days to fix this. We will see the outcome.