Forums

GM & Ford Might Get It. Dodge & Toyota are Clueless.

GM & Ford Might Get It. Dodge & Toyota are Clueless.

Ford and GM seem somewhat serious about the need to make an electric pick up truck. Sounds like they are only going to do it if Tesla makes their pick up truck, and only going to make as many as they have to in order to satisfy the California ZEV. In other words, they might just make compliance EV trucks so that they can still make lots of gasoline trucks.

As for the other big companies, here’s what they had to say:

“Detroit’s other big automaker, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, has no current plans for an all-electric Ram, while Toyota Motor Corp is betting more heavily on a hybrid Tundra pickup.
"The sliver of volume that's going to be electric pickups is not worthy of a business case," said one person familiar with Toyota's plans.”

Toyota is really clueless if they think the market for electric pick up trucks will be a sliver.

https://apple.news/AKV2_Ga9gQ2uab1r0h2CfYQ

TeslaTap.com | 13. September 2019

I'm sure Toyota is still investing billions in Hydrogen fueled vehicles. Clearly, after the big success of hevely subsidized Mirai, I'm sure they are working a line of Hydrogen trucks. Expect to see them in 10 years (hint, every year it's 10 years out).

andy.connor.e | 13. September 2019

Toyota has never believed in EVs. They have been building the Prius for over 20 years and have never made a pure EV. Maybe they dont want to invest in Lithium batteries, since they do in fact still use Ni-MH batteries in the prius.

Love toyotas, they run great and always have but none of these car companies are invested in EVs. They are invested completely in the status quo and thats what will kill them once EVs can be purchased used for less than $20k.

SamO | 13. September 2019

Mercedes announced yesterday that there was never a better time for diesel.

They've been getting high on their own (emissions) supply.

Toyota is still betting the bank on hydrogen and ultra caps.

They are in denial.

I've said VW has a 50/50 chance of survival but the inability to sell their cars in the US says that they are still hedging for compliance and know that they will never be able to fully take the leap.

They will go the way of the hundreds of other automotive companies.

andy.connor.e | 13. September 2019

Most of the automotive companies have been bought up and are just subsidiaries of the same company to make you think there are many more. Ford and Lincoln are the same company just different product lines. If one company fails, its like 3 or 4 companies fail. Hydrogen is not a global solution.

Earl and Nagin ... | 13. September 2019

@andy.connor.e,
Toyota made the 1999 RAV4EV all by themselves. It was a nice usable vehicle.
The partly made the 2012 RAV4EV although Tesla made the drivetrain.
Agree with all else you said.

gordo | 14. September 2019

@andy.connor.e

Not sure I follow. Are you saying Fiat-Chrysler, Ford, GM, BMW, VW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai aren't independent companies? I get that they each have many sub-brands, but that's been true for decades.