Forums

Camera images flickering and lights strobing

Camera images flickering and lights strobing

Hi,

I recently got my model 3 here in Australia Yay!
When using the reverse camera at night and viewing the dash cam recordings any artificial light is causing the image to flicker.
I'm assuming this is because it's setup for Americas voltage frequency being 60hz and not our 50hz here in Aus.

I couldn't find any settings available to change this.
Not a big deal but could this affect the safety features of autopilot?

Hopefully there is an update that can fix this.

EVRider | 17. September 2019

Why would your voltage frequency make a difference?

TeslaTap.com | 17. September 2019

Oddly, the cameras are set for 36 fps worldwide. Not sure why, but perhaps less video to process at that frame rate. I've not noticed any flickering when looking at 60 Hz LED street lighting in the rearview camera, but perhaps the 50 Hz causes more strangeness.

It may also have to do with the quality of the streetlight and how much they flicker at the line frequency. Most LED streetlights use blue LEDs with white phosphor so you don't get a lot of flicker effects. I expect there are other types of lights that do show the flicker. For example, florescent lights. Do you know the type of street lighting where you see the flicker?

I don't remember hearing anyone in Europe having the same issue, as they also have 50 Hz, but perhaps all cars do it?

a_scud | 19. September 2019

EVRider
Lights are not continuously on as our eyes see it. Instead they turn on and off at a certain frequency. Certain countries use different frequencies. All of of North America and north of South America use a 60hz frequency, while in Europe, Africa and Asia, Australia it’s 50Hz. This is directly related to the AC current of the particular country.
Video can pick up this flicker when your camera frame rate is out of sync with this frequency.

Most of our street light are not LED yet besides out stop go lights. Also happens while backing into my garage that has LED batten lights. Would it help if I upload a video of it?

info | 19. September 2019

Most led lights are really strobing on and off faster than your eye can see. The camera is taking still shots at a frame rate as someone stated 36 FPS. Just like when you see an airplane prop on tv is goes forward, then backward as the rpm changes, the snap shot 1/30 of second has the prop in a different position. Sometimes it’s behind the last position so it looks like it’s going backwards. It’s a visual strobe. Same applies to led. On the exact moment the Tesla camera took a shot, the led might have been off. Slow the stream down to something the human eye can detect aka 36fps, and it looks like a flashing light.

EVRider | 19. September 2019

@a_scud: I understand that your AC voltage frequency might be different from what we have in the US, but why would anything displayed on the car’s touchscreen be dependent on your AC voltage?

Techy James | 19. September 2019

Never noticed camera flickering, but when backing up I have noticed certain light sources will definitely flicker in the backup camera. This is most common with Fluorescent light sources. LED lights don't seem to produce the same result.