Forums

Question about 2nd meter for car charging

Question about 2nd meter for car charging

I’m in Alaska and we have had our LR AWD for a year. Our local power company has been behind the times for EV charging (and solar). Anyway the question: we just received notice about the power company wanting to install a 2nd meter (and possibly service line) to connect only to our Tesla wall connector. Do you all have this in CA or other states that have variable rates or EV considerations from your electric company? Does this make sense given the modern “smart meters”?

We do not have any variable electric rates, or EV considerations at this time.

bjrosen | 20. September 2019

Have you talked to anyone there and asked them why they want to put in a second meter? I'd be curious to hear the answer. If I had to guess it's because they want to gather data about the charging loads that EVs present. Power companies think in decades so they might want to do some research now to help them plan for a future where there are lot's of EVs. If they can put meters on the handful of EVs that exist in Alaska now they can get get an idea of how much power they require, what time of day they use it, and if they will be able to do load balancing by enabling and disabling EVSEs when it's convenient for them.

TexasBob | 20. September 2019

We have a second meter for our garage. It also runs the circuit for the garage apartment (200 Amp second service). Not sure what is behind the utility's request to have you install a second meter however there are some very nice advantages. We have two different rate plans that optimize the difference in usage patterns between the house and the cars. If they are going to install a second meter, you should get them to install a second service (100 Amp) so that you have lots of capacity for your second Tesla. It future-proofs your setup. Very nice to have if it is cheap to do (e.g. when you are building a new house of if the utility will pay for it!).

calvin940 | 20. September 2019

Our power corp also only has time of day for heating systems, not EV. However they have committed to providing that capability in a rough timeframe of over the next 2 years. A special meter is required for time of day capabilities which is not typically installed in a home by default. As such, anyone that desires mulit-tier rates requires a different meter. Futhermore if it is just for a specific circuit, then the meter goes on that circuit specifically and the meter is capable of keeping track/reporting on the amount of usage and time of day in order for the company to offer the variable rates.

rehutton777 | 20. September 2019

If they want to install the second meter in order to offer a reduced energy rate for your EV to demonstrate a heightened since of environmental responsibility, that might be reasonable. However, it seems that offering a time-of-use plan which lowers rates during non-routine or non-peak periods might be a lot easier. I have not heard of two meters in any normal residential situation in Southern California.

cnistal1 | 20. September 2019

I'm in Los Angeles (LADWP) and had a 2nd meter installed for my first EV. I believe that was in 2013.

rehutton777 | 20. September 2019

@cnistal1 - Was the decision to add a 2nd meter yours or LADWPs?

cnistal1 | 20. September 2019

It was LADWP's decision. I also added Solar Panels around the same time. Can't remember if the Solar Panels came before the 2nd meter.