Forums

Does your Model 3 screen indicate cars approaching from the rear?

Does your Model 3 screen indicate cars approaching from the rear?

My Model 3 is in the shop and I got a loaner car which happened to be a Model S. One thing I noticed on the (slightly older) Model S is that when cars approach from behind and reach the blind spots, arcs (that indicate there are objects nearby) on the model of the Model S appear.

My Model 3 shows cars next to it and in front of it, but it never indicates when a car is in the blind spots.

Does your Model 3 do that?

FISHEV | 11. Oktober 2019

Model 3 is fairly blind in the rear as you can tell per your example. Vehicles in back rarely show up. It's why there's no Rear Cross Traffic Alert system, why there's no working blind spot indicator vs. the blind spot collision avoidance,

If, as occasionally happens, the rear camera is not activated in reverse, you are pretty much on your own.

calvin940 | 11. Oktober 2019

Does your Model 3 do that?
----------
Yup I have seen vehicles in the back. Don't really know how often they show up but I am not often looking at the screen to see if that is happening as I am driving. When I am stopped, it's not really important so I haven't paid much attention to that. It seems to do the important things well so pretty happy so far.

Hp.1193 | 11. Oktober 2019

My god just turn your damn backup cam (WIDE ENOUGH) on and BAM, look at that, a Rear Cross Traffic Alert system!!

gdepau | 11. Oktober 2019

Cars from the rear always show up on my 3

M3phan | 11. Oktober 2019

Yes, they are there. I can see the front part of the car animated behind mine most times. Rotate the avatar view and you’ll see it there.

Xerogas | 12. Oktober 2019

@yumei.leventhal: same arcs on Model 3. Those are the ultrasonic sensors.

bp | 12. Oktober 2019

You might occasionally see on the screen objects approach from behind, but don’t rely on it. Mirrors and looking over the shoulder for me.

kevin_rf | 12. Oktober 2019

Bp +1

SteveWin1 | 12. Oktober 2019

Do you mean when you're diving or in a parking lot? The rear camera is a fish eye lens, so cars are much smaller until they get very close. The left and right repeater will pick up people behind you and off to the side, but cars directly behind don't show up until they are very close and then they frequently flicker in and out of existence. I love the wide angle when I'm backing up, but I wish Tesla had included another camera to give the car a better view to the rear.

derotam | 12. Oktober 2019

You don't even need to rotate the animation. Simply swipe up on the animation to temporarily increase the rear animation visibility.

derotam | 12. Oktober 2019

Personally I think when you swipe up, that should be the default animation. It gives so much more rear visibility on the screen.

vmulla | 12. Oktober 2019

If the conditions are right, not only does it show the car behind it, but also the vehicle further behind.
The feature was introduced recently, and is a bit flaky at the moment. Give it a few updates and it will be usable enough to provide bird’s eye view help for parking.

gmr6415 | 12. Oktober 2019

These random issues with some cars are interesting. Mine does a pretty good job of showing cars coming up from the rear and always has.

yumei.leventhal | 12. Oktober 2019

Thank you all for your feedback! I asked the question because we've been having issues that we believe are sensor related (reason the car is at a service center). I know how to use the backup camera to see what's behind, but that's not the issue. The issue is whether the arc shows when a car is in the blind spot in the next lane-- the older Model S DOES show. So the question is: Do Model 3s have the capability? Or does our Model 3 have sensor issues?

jean1harris | 12. Oktober 2019

We have a new Model 3 with newest software which does not show cars coming from behind unless we zoom out on the screen and that screen quickly reverts to zoom in mode default. Would love that zoomed out view to be the default. Is there a way to make that happen? The rear camera is good, but it's not good for lane change info for cars coming up fast or in the blind spot. We are used to the light on the side mirrors giving indication of cars coming from behind or in the blind spot and that works well. We miss that.

WardT | 12. Oktober 2019

I noticed this just last night. White arcs kept flashing on the left and right back corners when nothing was there. It was similar to the wavy lines in front and sides. It seemed like nonsense and a distraction. Just driving down a neighborhood street and white arcs showing up over and over when nothing was there. Seems like Tesla added something, didn’t tell anyone what they are for and makes you wonder what Tesla is thinking. I guess that is the norm for Tesla.

walnotr | 12. Oktober 2019

White, yellow, orange, red. The lines change color based on the proximity of objects around you. White are the farthest, red the closest. The car may be picking up objects along the side if the road.

FISHEV | 12. Oktober 2019

"So the question is: Do Model 3s have the capability?"

It does not. Likely in a bid to be less expensive Tesla reduced the sensors which explains why the visualiztion rarely shows traffic in back of you, why the blind spot warning system is not really useful as it can't see the cars until they are well into your blindspot.

Tesla's "solution" was to provide the "Blind Spot Collision Avoidance" which only works when you put on the turn signal.

M3phan | 12. Oktober 2019

@ derotam, I actually haven’t tried the swipe up motion. I’ll give it a go. Thx!

vmulla | 12. Oktober 2019

"So the question is: Do Model 3s have the capability?"

IT ABSOLUTELY DOES
Let me counter the falsehood that's being spread with a video of screen visualization showing cars approaching from behind.

If someone can put the video up sooner than I can, please help snuff this falsehood out asap.

"We are used to the light on the side mirrors giving indication of cars coming from behind or in the blind spot and that works well. We miss that."@jean1harris

Everybody who had them misses the blind spot indicators that Tesla doesn't have, even the fanbois who claim Tesla's lack of BSI is a feature vs. the bug it is. Even the orientation of the visualization with much less room for graphics in the rear of the car. Makes sense for Tesla's "Full Self Driving" beta stuff which needs to be looking forward and to the side but it does mean Tesla sacrifices blind side indicators and rear cross track warning.

Hp.1193 | 12. Oktober 2019

It 100% does, fishy is just trolling with the usual negativity. My god cant even count the # of times I seen the phrase rear cross track warning.

Apparently not per most of the posts hear if one discounts the fanbois who fantasize over "100%".

"We have a new Model 3 with newest software which does not show cars coming from behind unless we zoom out on the screen and that screen quickly reverts to zoom in mode default."jean1harris

Idiot, OP asked about "capability" which is 100% yes. Now there is a difference whether the car is in drive or stationary.

calvin940 | 12. Oktober 2019

@Hp.1193

why do you keep talking to him?

Gotta stop the spread of FUD.

If people just ignore him, then his posts will simply not be acknowledged and orphaned. Then it will just be treated like the radio noise it is.

Tru

"OP asked about "capability" which is 100% yes."@Hp1193

He already stated the facts of his case and every Model 3 owners reality.

"My Model 3 shows cars next to it and in front of it, but it never indicates when a car is in the blind spots."@yl

Is the Model 3 capable of fixing the lack of rear viewing? No one really knows, likely not as there doesn't appear to be the sensor hardware in the rear and sides.

slingshot18 | 12. Oktober 2019

I've seen cars from the rear for a long time. And still do.

MAB1980 | 12. Oktober 2019

"My Model 3 shows cars next to it and in front of it, but it never indicates when a car is in the blind spots."@yl

Uh, as the driver, my blind spots are next to my car, and indeed the display shows when cars are in them. I can watch a car approach from the rear and pass me; the car itself has no apparent blind spots (well, it can’t see above it, I suppose).

Here’s a pic of the problem. Sitting in traffic, car directly behind me and a car in my left rear blind spot. Neither show up.

https://imgur.com/a/QrKxzvO

"; the car itself has no apparent blind spots (well, it can’t see above it, I suppose)."

Yup. Plus car behind isn't of concern until it starts to interfere with my ability to do something which means it is either coming up on my left of right or in front of me which the car does car about and identify. 'nuff said.

“Sitting in traffic” SITTING

WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO KNOW A CAR BEHIND YOU “SITTING” IN TRAFFIC? JUST USE YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR OR REAR CAM.

When you are “driving” they most certainly show up. I’ll take pics next time I’m out.

"WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO KNOW A CAR BEHIND YOU “SITTING” IN TRAFFIC?"@calvin940

Same reason you need to know if a car is behind you at any time you are on the road.

Point of the pic was to show that Tesla cannot see them.

@FISHEV | October 12, 2019
"WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO KNOW A CAR BEHIND YOU “SITTING” IN TRAFFIC?"@calvin940
---------------------
That is not my quote so stop mis-representing me in your posts or I will also report you for that as that is a clear violation of the forum rules.

Also, a " oops I made a mistake" is not good enough. You should be checking your posts for correctness of this nature before posting them.

“Point of the pic was to show that Tesla cannot see them.“

It didn’t show that. Moreover, it can not show that. All it showed is that, at that moment, one was not displayed on your screen.

One example of a car behind in the display is sufficient to prove that it can. I’ll get one later.

Never mind, this is easier. You can clearly see that the car is aware of the vehicle passing it, through blind spots, for the entire time they’re near eachother.

https://youtu.be/N8hENBL10_A

Maybe you don’t like how and when it displays things, Fishev, but a model 3 indeed can and does see things in the driver’s blind spots.

"One example of a car behind in the display is sufficient to prove that it can"@MAB1980

Interesting point, then why does Tesla have problems seeing cars in back and in the blind spot. Fair to say it just doesn't have the sensors to do it consistently or even a majority of the time as we see in the pic where there was more cars behind than in front but none show.

The idiots keep confusing about displaying a rear car when your are sitting in traffic / at a stop light VS. driving. It might not show when your STATIONARY but 100% will when your DRIVING.

If your so concerned about a car in the rear when your STATIONARY just use your REAR VIEW MIRROR OR REAR CAM.

Your delusional af.

slingshot18 | 12. Oktober 2019

It's odd some cars see them and some do not. Mine sees cars behind me all the time, both driving and sitting, as long as they are close.

"It might not show when your STATIONARY but 100% will when your DRIVING."@Hp.1193

As you see the display is not on "stationary" but the small car icon of moving vehicle which it should be since the car is just stopped momentarily in traffic.

Same display, same sensors, same limited view to rear. Doubtful Tesla can fix it without adding sensors in the rear. Looks like rear sensors are just short distance for backup issues though folks are reporting issues with the close proximity warnings being too aggressive,

Maybe Tesla could replace the rear sensors with more powerful ones to fix the problems with blind side indicators and rear view.

Huh? It says “hold” does sitting in traffic not mean the same thing as “stationary” your not driving (moving) in that pic you posted ..

"Mine sees cars behind me all the time, both driving and sitting, as long as they are close."@slingshot18

Once they come in range of the "curb" detecting rear sensors it might show but in this case, the car in back was real close as was the other one the Tesla could not detect sitting in my blind spot. I didn't look at the car in back with the camera but the rear backup camera tends to exaggerate distance, making car look further away so it's not too good for driving safety purposes except for slow speed backup.

Oh yeah after that last post, your full of yourself. You just like to bicker and be extremely petty. I’m out.

“ why does Tesla have problems seeing cars in back and in the blind spot.”

I have no evidence that your assertion is true. I have seen ample evidence from my car, and combined with the car’s ability to track for the purposes of self driving, it seems clear to me that in fact it doesn’t struggle to identify cars in back or in blind spots.

Here’s a photo I just took. Note the car behind me, and one in each of my blind spots.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8ZR63pg/0/X4/i-8ZR63pg-X4.jpg

"It says “hold” does sitting in traffic not mean the same thing as “stationary”@Hp.1193

Ah...maybe you haven't that much experience with the car but that is the moving on the road visualization. Which makes sense, the car's in drive, it should be showing driver everything around him.

The stationary one the car is much bigger.

Maybe Tesla could add a second camera in the back to give depth perception to fix the visualization. It could also help with the BSI issues.

Where’s the odometer?

Peace.

Pages