Forums

Battery issues

Battery issues

Before anyone tells me, I have checked the following. Manual and service center. I’ve been told this is normal and I am just checking to see if any other cold climate people have this issue or should I push it harder with Tesla. I have a 20 mile total commute with moderate traffic. I am not a lead foot. I lost just at 100 miles for 20 miles of driving, I am in Northern Ohio not the most killer cold. Is anyone having a similar issue? If it’s normal then fine I’m going to just deal, if not then I’d like to be able to push service harder.

andy.connor.e | 19. Dezember 2019

Is the 20 mile total commute the 'there and back' distance? If so how long is your car sitting in parking lot

h2ev | 19. Dezember 2019

What was your Wh/mile figure on that whole trip? If would have to be like 1200 Wh/mile on that entire trip for it to consume 100 miles' worth of power in 20 miles. I can get my car to do that if I blast the heat and climb a hill at high speed but it would only be for a short stretch, and It would quickly average back down once it levels out and going back downhill. I can't imagine what it'll take to average 1200Wh/mile for a 20 mile stretch.

Pg3ibew | 19. Dezember 2019

You really arent giving enough data for anyone to make an educated guess.
How long does the car sit?
20 miles each way?
Sentry mode on?
How many events is it capturing? Active area?
Are you oreheating the car before you get to it?
What is the weather? Not too cold to you may not be the same for me. NOT THR MOST KILLER COLD is not technical data.

Pg3ibew | 19. Dezember 2019

It is 17 degrees in NYC today and from over night last night. I pre conditioned the car while plugged in. I definitelybused more mikes today than yesterdays trip. I chalked it up to being half the temp as yesterday. I am ok with that.

Bighorn | 19. Dezember 2019

You lost 100 miles off your fuel gauge during a 20 mile drive? Makes no sense. Be more specific about pertinent data—Wh/m, auxiliary draws, etc so someone can try to make sense of this.

Also clarify if 20 miles was to work or to and from, many hours apart, with an intervening freezing of the battery.

WEST TEX EV | 19. Dezember 2019

Please fill in:

Time: mi range:
Drive to work
Time: Mi range:
Sit at work
Drive home

WEST TEX EV | 19. Dezember 2019

Also include if plugged in.

jordanrichard | 19. Dezember 2019

I will add, did you do any research about cold weather affects on range, before getting your car or is this a matter of you thinking this is a bit more than you expected ? With Tesla producing cars at scale since 2012, there is now plenty of information on this subject.

Did you lend out your car over lunch?
https://youtu.be/H_AyNQtjOlQ

Techy James | 19. Dezember 2019

What people here are trying to tell you is the following items will lower the efficiency of any electric car when the temps drop below 50F.
1) Not pre-warming the car before leaving home while car is still plugged in.
2) Not preconditioning battery by having charge finish near time your leaving so battery is not cold and needing to warm itself.
3) Parked in cold as the battery will keep itself warm if the temps drop below freezing
4) Preheating car after getting off when not plugged in.
The normal actual range reduction can be anywhere from 20% loss to over 50% if the Temps get near 0F.

Ron.Olsberg | 19. Dezember 2019

@Techy James
I could be wrong but I do not believe the car will heat the battery when temps drop below freezing. The only time the car will heat or cool the traction battery is when the car is plugged into shore power AND is actively charging. The only other time it will heat or cool the traction battery is when you are driving the car. When the car is awake and not plugged in, it might heat the traction battery slightly due to the small discharge.of the high voltage battery (which will create a small amount of heat). In fact, AFAIK the high voltage battery will not be heated or cooled even if the temps get below -22F or above 140F except for the times stated in the first part if this post.