Forums

Traffic signal/sign recognition in 50.1

Traffic signal/sign recognition in 50.1

Took the car out for the first time since I got 40.50.1, road trip to Portland ME. The traffic signal visualization is not very good, it consistently recognizes stop lights but not until you are right under them. If they are going to use this for self driving they need to see the stop light when the car is 1/2 a block a way so that it can slow down and then stop. It didn't recognize Yield or Railroad Crossing signs, when I went through the railroad crossing near my house it didn't display anything.

As a side note, the speech recognition is much worse then it was. I was able to get it understand commands in my driveway but not on the road. In the driveway the car is connected to a strong WiFI signal, on the road even with what appears to be a strong LTE signal it mostly heard nothing. In earlier releases it was pretty good about accepting commands for streaming music, yesterday it didn't respond to any of those commands. I did get it to respond to Adjust Mirrors, but only after many tries, mostly it did nothing.

bjrosen | 29. Dezember 2019

One more thing. I tried to submit a bug report to tell them that stop light recognition was happening too late but I couldn't because speech recognition no longer works. Pressed the button and said Bug Report and the message and nothing happened.

ronbandel | 29. Dezember 2019

I agree, seeing traffic lights way too slow.

stingray.don | 29. Dezember 2019

It’s just a visualization. Just because the traffic light is too far away to populate on the screen does not mean that the software is not recognizing the stop light well in advance.

The voice recognition will improve. Sometimes you just have to be patient.

Patrick | 29. Dezember 2019

Same here - Can’t send bug reports after the update

Sarah R | 29. Dezember 2019

My experience is exactly the opposite of the OP. Traffic lights show up well ahead. Stop signs too. It occasionally misses a sign, and doesn't display yield. Not many railroad crossings in my part of south OC. Voice commands sputtered and stuttered for just a few minutes after installation, but now work well.

Autopilot is stable. No "ping pong". Occasional phantom brakes. NoA occasionally makes questionable suggestions for lane changes.

All in all, a good update. I've had my car for about a month. It came with 40.1. I've seen 4 updates in 4 weeks, every one has made it better.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 29. Dezember 2019

Do a screen reset to solve the voice recognition issues.

I have done a reset, didn't help. In fact I've done both the soft reset and the hard reset.

I also tried out self driving for a little bit on I95, the car was weaving slightly, not drunk driver weaving, but it was noticeable. I don't use the FSD except to try it out after each release to see how much it's improved. This seemed worse then it was before,

Pg3ibew | 29. Dezember 2019

I have two things to say here.
1. How good was your last car at identifying red kights and stop signs?
2. Give Tesla a chance. The update was sent out 5 days ago. Like everything else with Tesla, it will inprove as we move forward.

Pg3ibew@ I'm trying to give a bug report here, couldn't do it directly because they broke that mechanism. I'm completely comfortable being a beta tester, in fact I'm happy to be a beta tester, my desktop runs Fedora and I always install the beta of the next Android on my Pixel just as soon as it's available. However what Tesla lacks is a proper channel to submit bugs, there isn't much point of releasing beta software if there is no way to submit a bug report. This forum seems like as good a place as any to submit a bug. Hopefully someone from Tesla reads these posts.

FISHEV | 29. Dezember 2019

"The traffic signal visualization is not very good, it consistently recognizes stop lights but not until you are right under them."

But when it does seem them it reads them accurately in real time. It fixes the problem of not being able to see the lights due to the front construction of the M3. I can watch the display for when lights turn green.

As far as seeing them with enough time to react without hard braking, don't think that is part of this update, just the visualization of the traffic lights and signs. I thought it was supposed to reading speed signs but don't see that.

Pg3ibew | 29. Dezember 2019

@bj, this is not the place to send a bug report. We all know that. Even a rookie like myself.

apodbdrs | 30. Dezember 2019

Interesting event using visualization on streets, I noticed my car shows all the traffic lights it encountered except at one minor intersection. I went back a few times on different days and this one intersection's traffic lights don't show. There must be something different about the type of traffic light used????

jebinc | 30. Dezember 2019

In addition to being too slow and late, they are blocked by that damn gray AP/Autosteer speed indicator. Created a thread on that a while back....

walnotr | 30. Dezember 2019

At least you have visualizations to complain about. Still waiting on HW3 so I can complain too!

Devilstower | 30. Dezember 2019

Yes, I noted that the "Bug report" command no longer seems to work. It would be nice if there was an alternative, because I felt like I was at least contributing to the mix when I noted bad behavior on the part of Autopilot or incorrect information on the nav system.