Forums

Best Year to buy a Pre-owned X

Best Year to buy a Pre-owned X

So would like some opinions on what might be the best year for a pre-owned X

info | 03. Januar 2020

It's my opinion that the best Model X to buy used is one that has at least HW2 as that vehicle has the required hardware to expand to HW3 for Full Self Driving. Another consideration would be is the free electric option. You should be looking for a 2017 Model 90XD that was delivered before April 2017. The more options it has the better.

anhlue | 03. Januar 2020

I agree with @info. Before I bought our new X, I had asked the service person when I brought in my TM3. He had worked at Fremont since the factory opened and worked on all the cars. His reco was the Model S. That wasn’t a fit for us but he said if you were to buy an X, get it with HW2 and for sure built AFTER 2016.

Uncle Paul | 06. Januar 2020

Tesla is advancing so quickly, usually the best answer is to get the latest model that you can afford.

There is a policy of continous improvement, and from month to month they seem to be getting better.

If you do not desire FSD option, then you can easily look to the earlier models.

Pricing tends to take all this into consideration, as configuration can have a major price differental even for the same year of production.

Your individual needs will often determine the age of car you will find acceptable. Different years have different seating options, battery sizes, performance capabilities.

Mileage does not seem to be as important as the born on date.

Of course, a Tesla under factory warranty will most always command a higher price than one without.

sillyleann | 09. Januar 2020

If I were buying used, I would get a 2018 made in April or newer. That would get you MCU 2 but HW 2.5. Tesla has started changing out HW 2.5 for people who purchased Full Self Driving.

I researched for several months because I was going to buy used. The best most precise information about the HW/FSD/MCU is here: https://teslatap.com/?s=what+hardware+version+do+I+have. Read through it and make up your own mind. I have Free Supercharging, but honestly won't really get too much value from it unless I keep my X for years. I charge at home mostly. It is easy to get wrapped up in Free Supercharging for life. But your intended use will vary from mine as to if it is really worth it or not.

There are a few other differences and unicorns out there. Some of them came with cooled seats. Pay close attention when buying as there were some without leather/leatherette. It is a tedious world in used Tesla when it comes to the X. Good luck! I love my new one. There are days I wish I was more patient and waited for the 2018 April build. But, other than the initial delivery bugs and issues, I love this car so much!

rxcemail | 10. Januar 2020

Not 2016.

Bighorn | 10. Januar 2020

With the significant price reductions and Raven upgrades, I question whether used is a better choice than new anymore.

manansharma | 13. Januar 2020

Can you negotiate the price on used cars ? If Yes where are the options ? Also, can you test drive used car.

Any advice.

Passion2Fly | 13. Januar 2020

AP2.0 with Free unlimited SC are very rare! Only a small number were made before FUSC was discontinued... the unicorn here is the TRANSFERABLE free unlimited SC...

Passion2Fly | 13. Januar 2020

Personally, I couldn’t find one. So, I settled for the transferable free unlimited SC. This is very valuable since the supercharging prices are only going to go up... I’m not sure how valuable AP2.0 is... my understanding is that AP2.5 can be updated to AP3.0. I’m not sure about AP2.0...

damian | 16. Januar 2020

I'm not a fancy dude, so I went with 2016. I just don't ever want to go to a gas station again, but I don't want to break the bank to do it.

neezer | 17. Januar 2020

Don't see why anything less than a Raven would be attractive...

hpjtv | 18. Januar 2020

Anything with vin 120k and up if you want most of the new entertainment features (Netflix, YouTube, etc... MCU2).

AENNEAS | 23. Januar 2020

Also VINs less than 100k can have MCU2.

yousef | 03. Februar 2020

Hi Guys, I just recently ordered my Model X and delivery estimated in May 2020. from Middle east Dubai.
I am from Kuwait and we got no Tesla centers here. I will be car towing it from Dubai to Kuwait! lol

after reading the forums here, I am seriously worried about the model X maintenance! with all these issues are raised here on the forum, but i noticed most are with older model x versions ?

The thing is, I don't mind car towing it to Dubai every 2-3 years for a car maintenance check up but if such issues keeps occurring very often, then its not worth getting the X, and instead maybe get model 3 with less maintenance issues ? No automatic doors No falcon doors, where i see most issues are coming from them?..

any feedback is highly appreciated, switch to Model 3 or stay on Model X!

yousef | 03. Februar 2020

also if you guys know, is it possible to do basic car maintenance like, changing tires, brakes, air filter etc.. in a regular car garage shop, or it has to be at a Tesla service center? D: