Forums

Battery Issue

Battery Issue

I have been traveling for 12 days and have 8 to go. I eft the car 2018 Model S P100D at about 280 miles of power and in 11 days is drained all the way down to 22 miles. My son stopped by the house (I live in Cincinnati and hge lives in Columbus), and said nothing was on in the car, preconditioning was not on, keeping the cabin warm was no on, etc.. Yet it has draned to the point I just got a message on my app that I need to charge it right away to prevent battery damage. But I don't get home for another 8 days!!

This has never happened. I routinely go on 3 week trips and my battery holds well with no issues. This started after the last software update (2019.40.2.1.38f55d9f9205). What can I do? I cant travel to Cincinnati until Jan 13th. Any ideas?

murphyS90D | 05. Januar 2020

Why didn't your son plug the car in when he was there?
Why didn't you plug it in before you left?

Stop checking on it. It is now below 20% and the 12 volt battery is no longer being charged.

miguel.alemany | 05. Januar 2020

Car is outside garage (garage full. Need garage open to charge, cant leave garage open while away for over a week. However, this has never happened. Something is different. Any ideas?

murphyS90D | 05. Januar 2020

Does your car have sentry mode? There have been reports of it draining the battery if left on. Your son could use a 12 gauge extension cord to charge from the nearest 120 volt outlet. Last weekend I used a 10 gauge 50 foot extension cord to charge to 90% at my brothers house. It took a day and a half.

Mi75d | 05. Januar 2020

Weather forecast says it will be warm in Cincinnati. If you have an outdoor outlet on your house, or a neighbor's house, you can do 120v charging to save the day. Otherwise, run extension cord under closed garage door and do it that way. Plug it in!

My son checked on the car when it started draining while I was away. He is Now traveling as am I. There will be no one for 8 days. Will call Tesla local dealer tomorrow and see if they can pick it up....

My son checked on the car when it started draining while I was away. He is Now traveling as am I. There will be no one for 8 days. Will call Tesla local dealer tomorrow and see if they can pick it up....

EVRider | 06. Januar 2020

@miguel: You didn’t answer murphy’s question about Sentry Mode — was that enabled? If so, that’s why your battery drained. Why do you need Tesla to pick up the car?

GoldAK47 | 06. Januar 2020

You can use any extension cord, 12ga is great...but Ive used 16ga with no issue. The car regulates it so it charges slower because of the cord. The 16ga is no were near its current limit. Tested, confirmed.
Either sentry mode is on, your 12v battery is bad, or HV battery is failing.....or its just cold and using power to keep battery warm. I lose 10+ miles on a cold night, and thats in georgia.

The car will survive 8 more days, it will start conserving power soon. Your 12v wont be happy if it gets to "zero", your HV will be fine though...it wont actually drop to an unsafe level unless there is an actual issue and failsafes fail.

GoldAK47 | 06. Januar 2020

And dont have tesla pick up the car, thats crazy. Its cold, the battery is going to drain alot to try to keep itself alive. As tesla learns more about the batteries, they make changes. These cars evolve, you cant just say...well it used to not do that.....because they change.

miguel.alemany | 07. Januar 2020

Thanks for all the comments. I was able to get hold of my neighbor who plugged the car in. My issue is I routinely go on 3 week trips and have no issue. This time battery drained in 12 days! Something is different.

TeslaTap.com | 07. Januar 2020

@miguel - I'm sure it was sentry mode. A good rule is to assume 1 mile of range loss for every hour not plugged in. You can turn off Sentry mode remotely from the app. Once the SOC gets to 20%, the sentry mode turns off to avoid the drain.

@murphyS90D "It is now below 20% and the 12-volt battery is no longer being charged."

That is not true. The 12v will stop being charged when it gets to 0% SOC. Then you have less than 24 hours before the 12v is dead. The main pack then goes dormant, not powering anything. Tesla states it can go another 4-6 months before the pack is damaged.

avesraggiana | 07. Januar 2020

Please follow the advice proffered here - make sure SENTRY MODE is turned OFF.

Three days into a three week summer holiday abroad, I turned off SENTRY MODE on our family's X100D, when I saw that it had lost about 40 miles in three days.

jimglas | 07. Januar 2020

sentry mode uses about 1 mph

miguel.alemany | 07. Januar 2020

Thanks. I have not enabled sentry mode in the car and the app says it is off. Will check in the car when I get home if course, but not sure about this one if the app says is off....

A-Wimoweh | 09. Januar 2020

Something else that could be the cause is a 3rd party data logger like teslafi, that is constantly pinging your car preventing it from sleeping. Its important to setup locations like your home and work in teslafi, and make sure all the sleep options are checked for those locations. That will save you some money in electricity...