Forums

ICE car fire

ICE car fire

Got stuck behind a burning car in a mountain pass in CO yesterday. FD tried to extinguish it for about an hour, and finally decided to let it burn out. Was quite exciting when the fuel tank ruptured. Burning fuel ran down the road, and the PD had to scramble to get their cars out of the way. This photo was taken after about 45 minutes of burning.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/oHbpy5f

yudansha™ | 16. Januar 2020

broken link

Big_Ed | 16. Januar 2020
Bighorn | 16. Januar 2020

Good link.

I see several car fires/ truck fires/RV fires on most of my trips.

CharleyBC | 16. Januar 2020

Yikes. I hope everyone got out safely.

What are the several containers lined up alongside the car by the left front tire and driver's door?

stingray.don | 16. Januar 2020

Fake news. Only Teslas catch fire according to news reports. ;)

kevin_rf | 16. Januar 2020

Clearly the fire was caused by a Tesla.

Just like this truck fire: https://youtu.be/1mHaAqVoyxU

Big_Ed | 16. Januar 2020

The containers are cooking oil. The driver apparently had a business servicing restaurant grease traps. The back seat and cargo area were full of them. After about 30 minutes, the FD guys smashed the windows and pulled them out. I was surprised they did not catch fire.

I was really surprised at how long it took to extinguish. We got there right after the fire truck arrived and started to unload. They tried to put it out for an hour before giving up and letting it burn.

We were less than 50 feet away with an unobstructed view, so we got a good show.

If anyone knows Colorado, this was just north of Hoosier Pass. PD from Blue River and FD from Breckenridge.

kevin_rf | 16. Januar 2020

If some of the grease ignited, might explain why they let it burn... That stuff can burn for quite a long time.

Varricks | 17. Januar 2020

They needed a large pan lid to put over the top of it and smother the fire out.

Nexxus | 05. Februar 2020

Melt any snow with that fire? Seems such a waste just to melt snow on the road....