Forums

After 2020.4.1 install, Dashcam USB is not happy!

After 2020.4.1 install, Dashcam USB is not happy!

Syed.Hosain | 04. Februar 2020

Dang it ... I can start a new thread but not post in it? BIzarre

FISHEV | 04. Februar 2020

My flash drive died with the update. Tried reformatting et al per all the instructions and still wouldn't work.

Got this one and it worked right out of the box.

https://puretesla.com/best-usb-drive-for-tesla-dashcam-and-sentry-mode/

teslamazing | 04. Februar 2020

U just did ...

What’s the issue ?

@teslamazing ... Can only post one line at a time ... not anything longer?

Am trying to post what I have tried so far. With a two-partition Extreme Portable Sandisk SSD that worked great for many upgrades prior to 2020.4.1.

WIth longer posts, I get an "Access denied" message ...

I've been using a 500GB Extreme Portable Sandisk SSD for a while and it has worked very, very well so far.

Two partitions on it - both FAT32, of course. The first is about 200GB for the Dashcam recordings and the second (rest of drive) is loaded with music.

After the 2020.4.1 update finished installing a day ago, I experienced problems with the Dashcam not working anymore ... with essentially a notice that the format is not correct.

However, the music partition is perfectly fine - I can access everything on it and music plays without any issues.

Regardless, the Dashcam will not record. But the drive works perfectly fine on a computer, of course ... all the old Dashcam recordings played till I reformatted the partition to proceed.

So far, I have tried:

1. Rebooting the M3 multiple times - both short and long methods. (I also do it this as a matter of "normal practice" whenever I get an update.)

2. Deleting all the old Dashcam files and leaving just the TeslaCam folder (after verifying that the files played normally on a PC).

3. Reformatting the partition (I use EaseUS software to get a FAT32 format on a >32GB drive).

4. Deleting the partition entirely and creating a new partition and reformatting.

No luck so far!

Are others experiencing the same issue with 2020.4.1 and the Dashcam USB? Is the size of the partition the problem? I am trying to find a 32GB USB stick to see if that works ... don't have one handy, unfortunately.

Would appreciate comments before I contact Tesla.

Sorry for the multiple posts above - trying to put them all into the original post or one reply will not work for me.

No42 | 04. Februar 2020

happened to my as well, SSD Drive stopped working. Had to buy new one.

FISHEV | 04. Februar 2020

"SSD Drive stopped working"

"The majority of the drives that I tested just couldn't keep up with the four-camera recording that was required of TeslaCam. If you are a frequent Sentry Mode user, that burden becomes even greater as the cameras are then always recording. They would start out strong, but then fizzled out to a point that they would somewhat regularly give me the gray X on the camera icon until I unplugged and re-plugged the drive. Other drives simply failed…permanently."

https://puretesla.com/best-usb-drive-for-tesla-dashcam-and-sentry-mode/

-TheJohn- | 04. Februar 2020

That's odd Syed.
Thanks for continually being as helpful as tinyhorn isn't.

teslamazing | 04. Februar 2020

@~thejohn y’all beefin? Lls

Joseb | 04. Februar 2020

I also got that message a day or two after the update "USB too slow, some videos may not been fully recorded" or something along those lines.

I have a micro SD with USB adapter, I checked in my PC and last vids were fine, no corruption from what I can tell, I was running low on space though (is just 32gb, had like 4gb left). I copied some of them over to my PC.

I ran scan/repair on my Windows machine, and will try to put it back again

The Micro SD card has been more reliable than the USB I had before.

SpeedyEV | 04. Februar 2020

I have the exact same setup as yours: Sandisk Extreme SSD 500 with two FAT32 partitions of 250GB each. I haven't noticed any problems with the music or the dash cam. When I get home I'll check if its actually saving videos and report back.

sixstring09 | 04. Februar 2020

I'm running a sandisk extreme portable 500g with only the tesla folder and not having any problems.

FYI

AstroSteve | 04. Februar 2020

Just reviewed new Sentry recordings, first time since the update.
Right reflector is not reliably recording.
Fragments of some videos are fine, most are devoid of content.
Going to re-boot the car tomorrow. Had the drive repaired too.

randy | 05. Februar 2020

Same experience as Syed, not functioning since 20.4.1 update. Samsung T5 SSD 1GB, has worked well for a year before update including with Sentry mode. Tried rebooting M3 several times, drive works fine on computer and all files readable. Then reformatted (FAT32) using EaseUS but no go. Hoping the next update will solve the problem. No42: did you buy a new SSD because yours wouldn't work on a PC either?

Syed.Hosain | 06. Februar 2020

@FISHEV "The majority of the drives that I tested just couldn't keep up with the four-camera recording that was required of TeslaCam."

Nope, not correct in my case. I am NOT using a cheap USB "stick" - the Extreme Portable 500GB Sandisk is an SSD drive designed for portability (small size unit, but larger than a stick ... needs a cable to connect, etc).

And, yes, I have tested the performance - the read AND write speeds are *above* 350 Mbytes/sec (note: MBYTES, not MBITS). This is FAR faster than typical USB "sticks" - indeed, faster than the one you linked to. And completely capable of storing the videos from four cameras.

Indeed, it has worked fine in my Model 3 for a long time and *only* started giving me the incorrect format error immediately after the 2020.4.1 installation completed and I rebooted the car. Testing on a PC and a Mac shows perfectly normal operation for that TeslaCam partition.

Indeed, the fact that the music files on the second partition are playing fine in my Model 3 means that something *else* is awry. Both facts mean that the cable is fine too!

My SWAG is that the software in the car does some sort of very simplistic and basic test of the storage and if it errs, for *whatever* reasons, it then continues to malfunction from that point on. With a single error message about the format.

@sixstring09 "I'm running a sandisk extreme portable 500g with only the tesla folder and not having any problems.

FYI"

Thanks! I assume you are on 2020.4.1 as well? That gives me hope ...

@SpeedyEV "I have the exact same setup as yours: Sandisk Extreme SSD 500 with two FAT32 partitions of 250GB each. I haven't noticed any problems with the music or the dash cam. When I get home I'll check if its actually saving videos and report back."

Thanks! Would love to know if it is all well for you.

Syed.Hosain | 07. Februar 2020

Okay, I "fixed" it. Whew!

Started from scratch, completely deleted the partition again, rebuilt a new partition, and did a format on it. EaseUS makes it relatively painless.

I think (but *not* sure) that selecting a "Logical" partition for that first partition creation, rather than "Primary" (or was it vice-versa - dang it, I am getting old) did the trick.

Now, the Dashcam is recording fine and the music is playing fine.

All I want to do next6 is remove the drive when I get a chance and make sure the actual video files display properly on my computer! I think they are good, but I want to confirm before I really need the files due to some some bad event.

randy | 07. Februar 2020

Well done, Syed. Don't really understand why that works, but I can confirm that re-partitioning and reformatting my Samsung T5 SSD 1TB worked. Thanks!

ODWms | 08. Februar 2020

I’ve been using an inexpensive, $25 memory card with my dash cam/sentry mode setup, and have never had a problem in the better part of a year.

Syed.Hosain | 19. Februar 2020

@ODWms "I’ve been using an inexpensive, $25 memory card with my dash cam/sentry mode setup, and have never had a problem in the better part of a year."

Good!

I bought this larger Sandisk drive, because I wanted a lot space for music (FLAC uncompressed, about 160 GB worth of music) and also wanted to minimize how often I had to remove the drive to remove the SentryCam files.

Goldie | 20. Februar 2020

Since I changed from flash drive to a SSD all errors stopped. only $40 for 240gb. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PLM9K7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin...

skydivegirl | 10. März 2020

Thanks for the updates! I use a micro SD setup but mine also stopped working after the last update. I'm no the road WAY TOO MUCH to not have that footage recording at all times. I will repartition and reformat my card and try again. I also verified that my card is working fine and plays exisiting videos on my computer and has plenty of space.

dmitrycho | 11. März 2020

After 2020.4.1 install front usb stops working. 2020.8.1 didnt help.

EVRider | 11. März 2020

@dmitrycho: What do you mean by "front USB stops working"? Do you mean the USB ports are dead (no power), they have power but don't recognize USB devices, or something else? Have you tried rebooting?

kirwin | 11. März 2020

Did I hear on a Tesla YouTube channel that a recent upgrade allows Model 3 to support exFAT?

dmitrycho | 12. März 2020

EVRider : front USB ports are dead (no power).reset and reboot did not help. disconnecting the two batteries did not help either.